Just out of curiousity, are Wrappers ok?

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
iamjagman

Just out of curiousity, are Wrappers ok?

Post by iamjagman »

Ok, first of all, I AM aware of the rule that you can't use or modify the code without permission, but would a wrapper that ported it to another system be ok?

(For those of you who don't understand the concept of a wrapper, it basically takes (typically) one specific game or program, and allows it to run in a simulated environment that sort of... redirects (not sure exactly about that, but meh) its functions to another similar function in the language the wrapper is written in. A common example is Wine (http://www.winehq.org/) which allows you to run C++ Games compiled for the windows environment on mac and linux without actually having to remake the game for those other operating systems.

So, would, perhaps, and iOS/Android wrapper be ok? I will likely not have the time or initiative to do this, but it could also open the eyes of some programmers who could to the possibility of legally "porting" it.

-jag
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Just out of curiousity, are Wrappers ok?

Post by Silentcook »

The game FAQs
Q: I want to port KS to a different platform, what do you think about it?
A: The answer is no. Don't bother asking. Additionally, don't talk about it here.
It's only the first one in the post.

I long for the moment when Delta will be back from his business and active in this section of the forums. I suspect there shall be much banning.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

iamjagman

Post by iamjagman »

As far as I'm aware, a wrapper isn't a port, it's a simulation of the environment a program runs in.

I was aware of that in the FAQ, otherwise I would've just asked if a port is ok.

And anyways, even if it was a port (which I seem to have mistakenly labeled it as in the OP) it wouldn't modify, or distribute the game in any way. You would have to download the game on your own, making you see that 4LS actually made the game, not the maker of the wrapper.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

This answer is based on dimly remembered discussion and given by a very non-technical member of 4LS, so take it with more than just a grain of salt.

Part of our issue with ports stems from the alterations to the game experience resulting from conversion into a different PHYSICAL platform. I believe this should cover this case.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Running KS on a virtual OS is fine, after all you are not actually changing anything in the game itself.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
CallsignZero

Post by CallsignZero »

Any chance I could acquire your Android version? I've been looking all over for a way to play it while mobile
aspheric

Post by aspheric »

lol I mostly have done this I got a new os and tried again and I forgot one of the packages I needed to install so now the games just sitting on my memory card.

I forget which one it is. XD