Problem with fullscreen mode

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
Hanako Seishin

Problem with fullscreen mode

Post by Hanako Seishin »

In fullscrean mode screen periodically goes black for a couple of seconds, and then it returns to normal. Sometimes it happens several times in a row, and sometimes game works fine for 10 and more minutes. It may happen in any menu or during game process (not sure about videos) and seems to be completely random. Also it seems that in windowed mode this problem doesn't exist, but I play fullscrean as much as possible, so there may be a chance, that I just haven't encountered it in windowed mode yet. One more reason why I consider that the problem is with fullscrean mode - it happens a lot right after entering fullscrean mode.

Here's my configuration:
Windows XP SP4
Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8600 @ 3.33Ghz
3.25 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTS 250
Screen resolution 1600x1200
DirectX 9.0c
Jacob

Re: Problem with fullscreen mode

Post by Jacob »

I have a different problem with the fullscreen mode: My windows vista pc is using my widescreen tv as screen, and the default window is really really small on that.
However, going to fullscreen stretches the pics in an unbearable manner. So I tried to enlarge the game window, but it's not possible. So I tried to look for a zoom factor like 2x or 4x the size, but there seems to be none. Is there any way I could could play the game in a neither warped mode nor a tiny window mode? :)
Piro

Post by Piro »

I can't play in fullscreen at all... the only thing I get when I switch to fullscreen is a black screen.. music/sounds are still running but I can't do anything except for pressing the reset button of my computer.
(The first start of the game was in window mode, I don't know if that is supposed to be normal. Anyway..good thing it startet like that, if not I couldn't play at all. :()

My configuration:
Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit + SP1
AMD Athlon X2 64 5200+ @2,61ghz
4GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GTS
DirectX 11
Purity Sue

Post by Purity Sue »

I have a similar problem. I'm running the game on a 64-bit Debian Linux (using the testing repositories, in case that matters) system, on an Intel Pentium E5500 2.8 GHz, with an Nvidia GeForce 6600 using the official Nvidia drivers. Whenever I try the fullscreen mode, a warning pops up in my screen saying something about the frequency of the screen (a 17-inch TFT) being out of range (and mentions some figures: 61 KHz and 85 KHz or something similar). It's not a warning from the operating system, it's from the screen, 'cause it looks exactly like its built-in config menu. Due to that, I can't provide a screenshot.

Any ideas? Looks like either an incompatibility with some part of my system (although I doubt it, since the game runs fine windowed) or a bug, and it's kind of a royal pain in the lower back because it's the only thing preventing me from having that super-cute scene of Hanako playing eight-ball as a wallpaper. I can screenshot the image from the gallery in windowed mode, yes, but that would look outrageous when stretched to the full size of my screen.
spanguole

Post by spanguole »

Purity Sue wrote:I'm running the game on a 64-bit Debian Linux (using the testing repositories, in case that matters) system, on an Intel Pentium E5500 2.8 GHz, with an Nvidia GeForce 6600 using the official Nvidia drivers. Whenever I try the fullscreen mode, a warning pops up in my screen saying something about the frequency of the screen (a 17-inch TFT) being out of range (and mentions some figures: 61 KHz and 85 KHz or something similar).
That's a problem with Your xorg.conf - because of that, Your computer tries to set a refresh rate that is inappropriate for Your monitor at that resolution.
Edit your xorg.conf to restrict 800x600 resolution's refresh rates to those which are appropriate.
Purity Sue

Post by Purity Sue »

spanguole wrote:
Purity Sue wrote:I'm running the game on a 64-bit Debian Linux (using the testing repositories, in case that matters) system, on an Intel Pentium E5500 2.8 GHz, with an Nvidia GeForce 6600 using the official Nvidia drivers. Whenever I try the fullscreen mode, a warning pops up in my screen saying something about the frequency of the screen (a 17-inch TFT) being out of range (and mentions some figures: 61 KHz and 85 KHz or something similar).
That's a problem with Your xorg.conf - because of that, Your computer tries to set a refresh rate that is inappropriate for Your monitor at that resolution.
Edit your xorg.conf to restrict 800x600 resolution's refresh rates to those which are appropriate.
Thanks for the hint, but it doesn't seem to work. I added modelines for 1280x1024 (max resolution of my screen) and 800x600 (default resolution for KS), both at 60 Hz (supported by the screen according to its specs) to my xorg.conf, and the same problem persists.
spanguole

Post by spanguole »

Purity Sue wrote:Thanks for the hint, but it doesn't seem to work. I added modelines for 1280x1024 (max resolution of my screen) and 800x600 (default resolution for KS), both at 60 Hz (supported by the screen according to its specs) to my xorg.conf, and the same problem persists.
I have a few possible solutions for this. But to pick the right one, it would really help of You would write me what exactly does that monitor warning says. I suspect a couple of things, and this would be one of the easier ways to figure out which is which.
Purity Sue

Post by Purity Sue »

spanguole wrote:
Purity Sue wrote:Thanks for the hint, but it doesn't seem to work. I added modelines for 1280x1024 (max resolution of my screen) and 800x600 (default resolution for KS), both at 60 Hz (supported by the screen according to its specs) to my xorg.conf, and the same problem persists.
I have a few possible solutions for this. But to pick the right one, it would really help of You would write me what exactly does that monitor warning says. I suspect a couple of things, and this would be one of the easier ways to figure out which is which.
With gusto. The warning says this:

Out of Range

81.3 KHz / 65 Hz

Just those two lines of text. The monitor is an LG Flatron L1750SQ, in case that helps. The two modelines that I added are as follows:

Modeline "800x600_60.00" 38.22 800 832 912 1024 600 601 604 622 -HSync +Vsync
Modeline "1280x1024_60.00" 108.88 1280 1360 1496 1712 1024 1025 1028 1060 -HSync +Vsync

I put them in the "Monitor" section of xorg.conf, the last two lines of the section to be precise, right before the "EndSection" line. I obtained them thanks to this online tool, using the resolution and refresh rate as input, and leaving all checkboxes unchecked.
spanguole

Post by spanguole »

Loose those modelines, and instead in Section "Screen" look for

Code: Select all

option "metamodes" "(here might be something)"
and change the line into (assuming You are normally using 1280x1024) :

Option "metamodes" "1280x1024_75 +0+0; 800x600_60 +0+0;"
If this does not help, there's always xinit route. A little messy, but does it's job.

This would be a lot easier with to do with GPU-scaled pseudo-resolution-change. But unfortunately, when the monitor does not have an aspect ratio identical to 4:3, it does not work well with KS [in a form of either a part of the screen being cut off or being stretched abnormally].
Purity Sue

Post by Purity Sue »

spanguole wrote:Loose those modelines, and instead in Section "Screen" look for

option "metamodes" "(here might be something)"
and change the line into (assuming You are normally using 1280x1024) :

Option "metamodes" "1280x1024_75 +0+0; 800x600_60 +0+0;"
If this does not help, there's always xinit route. A little messy, but does it's job.

This would be a lot easier with to do with GPU-scaled pseudo-resolution-change. But unfortunately, when the monitor does not have an aspect ratio identical to 4:3, it does not work well with KS [in a form of either a part of the screen being cut off or being stretched abnormally].
I don't have any metamodes line anywhere in my xorg.conf, but I will try that later, thank you. However, before I do, I got a simple question: would I be right in assuming that I should change "1280x1024_75" to "1280x1024_60" if that's the refresh rate that my monitor's specs say works best with 1280x1024 resolution? That's what I'm running the monitor at, either way: 1280x1024 with a refresh rate of 60Hz. I'm not entirely sure it runs at any other rate, since I can't seem to change it from the monitor's built-in config software...
spanguole

Post by spanguole »

Purity Sue wrote:I don't have any metamodes line anywhere in my xorg.conf, but I will try that later, thank you.
If you don't have that line, then just add it. It Should look something like this:
(the nvidia-auto-select could come in handy, btw. So I included it)

Section "Screen"
    Identifier     "Screen0"
    Device         "Device0"
    Monitor        "Monitor0"
    DefaultDepth    24
    Option         "TwinView" "0"
    Option         "metamodes" "1280x1024_60 +0+0; 800x600_60 +0+0; nvidia-auto-select +0+0"
    SubSection     "Display"
        Depth       24
    EndSubSection
EndSection
Purity Sue wrote:However, before I do, I got a simple question: would I be right in assuming that I should change "1280x1024_75" to "1280x1024_60" if that's the refresh rate that my monitor's specs say works best with 1280x1024 resolution? That's what I'm running the monitor at, either way: 1280x1024 with a refresh rate of 60Hz. I'm not entirely sure it runs at any other rate, since I can't seem to change it from the monitor's built-in config software...
About the 1280x1024@75 - I calculated that it should support this rate using the horizontal scan rate form it's specs. But if it says it works best on 60Hz, then yes, change it to that.

P.S. If it doesn't work, and makes You *RAGE*, there is one almost certain solution:
launch nvidia control panel with the command "nvidia-settings", go to the "X Server Display Configuration". There, change the resolution to 800x600 and choose a working refresh rate (trial & error if the first one You try doesn't work, shouldn't take too long). Now launch the game. Since it won't have to change the resolution when going fullscreen, there should be 0 problems. After exiting the game, restore Your previous settings. Crude, but prolly highly effective.
Purity Sue

Post by Purity Sue »

That metamodes line kind of did the trick. Still not what I was looking for, since apparently the game still runs at 800x600 instead of 1280x1024 when fullscreen (i.e. the screen's resolution automatically changes to 800x600 when fullscreening KS), because that's the resolution of any screenshot I take. But it doesn't look hideous at all, so I can live with that. Thanks for helping.
outbackshaq

Post by outbackshaq »

I have this flicker problem too. I notice that when it flickers it goes back to default resolutiong during the black screen, and then returns. It doesn't bother me much. I only get slight streching for my screen, but what I would do to help with your stretching/flicker issue would be to set your screen resolution to something smaller (I run 720p when I do this) and then run in windowed mode. That way you skip quite a few problems. And about taking a screenshot in fullscreen compared to windowed, you would get no diffrence either way. Because either way you get a screen capture at 800x600. It will look normal and the same size when you go back to your regular resolution.
Theres always a work around ;)
scrwbll19

Post by scrwbll19 »

Like the posters above, I am having the problem of playing the game with the window being too large or too small. Fullscreen mode messes up the rest of my windows that I have up so that they go to my second monitor. I would like to be able to play the game as close to fullscreen mode as possible without it being in fullscreen mode. Below are my configurations and hardware.

Intel Core i7 CPU @2.67 GHz and 6.00 GB of RAM
ATI Radeon HD 4800 series
Main Monitor: ASUS VW266 at 74kHz/60Hz via DVI cable
Second Monitor: HP w1907 Wide LCD Monitor at 60 Hz via DVI cable
Windows 7 Home Premium Service Pack 1 64-bit OS

Could I get some help with this please? :)