I really want to start playing...but I can't.

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
Sgt_Frog

I really want to start playing...but I can't.

Post by Sgt_Frog »

Okay, I've been avoiding this site lately due to not wanting to read spoilers and all that. So I fully intend to get every path and all that. But the problem is...how do I get it? What do I do? I have no idea how (or even what) a "torrent" is, let alone how to get it to work for me. The only thing I know about torrents is that they tend to be filled with viruses and other unpleasant things. The "release post" on the blog mentioned something about direct download links, so I hope they'll get those up.

Anyway, I hope I can get some reliable answers on what I need to do. It might be asking too much for a dev's input on this, but it's worth a try, right?
Zarakava

Re: I really want to start playing...but I can't.

Post by Zarakava »

Torrents are rarely ever filled with viruses.

Grab the program uTorrent, and then download the torrent file, open in uTorrent, and you're good to go.
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

Yeah, this is the official site and the official torrent is safe to use. The only time you need to be careful is if you're off downloading them from random websites, just like you have to be careful with any download.

Hope you enjoy the game soon! :)
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
Xevo

Post by Xevo »

It's what you got a virus scanner for, but I can guarantee you 100% that the files are virus free from this website.

Actually I think DDL's have more chance at being corrupt.
"Anal." - Emi
"I merely have a healthy adolescent sex drive." - Lilly
"The problem is in your pants." - Rin
"I'll tutor you." - Misha
"...?" - Shizune

I approve.
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

Zarakava wrote:Torrents are rarely ever filled with viruses.

Grab the program uTorrent, and then download the torrent file, open in uTorrent, and you're good to go.
What's a good, reliable place to get uTorrent?
Zarakava

Post by Zarakava »

Not sure if you really are just this new to the internet... but...

http://www.utorrent.com/
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Download Utorrent
Install Utorrent
Click on link to KS torrent from download page
Tell Utorrent where to save the file(it it picks a place automatically, right click and select "Open Containing Folder")
Download KS
Install KS
Uninstall Utorrent if desired.

Shouldn't take more than 40 minutes. :wink:
Snelx

Post by Snelx »

I think he is just new to torrent.
some of my friends also never use torrent before.

Anyway,
Dont use Torrent to download without understanding the risk lol.

It is indeed true there are virus etc if u download stuff from untrusted website.
and copyrights and stuff (if u plan to use more in future)

well, do read up lots of FAQS and stuff/ forums about torrent speed, peers, share, security and virus etc.

u will soon learn that torrent is the best thing developed in the internet.
It's kinda funny, I've played a bunch of VN's and for the first time I'm feeling apprehensive about going down another path. I'm thinking weird crap like how will Hanako ever be happy if someones not there for her.......
If Hanako's writer reads this I want you to know that I thank you for giving me this wonderful treasure.

- Rykn

華子 - Hanako - 'flower girl'
yuastnav

Post by yuastnav »

BitTorrent is a p2p file-sharing protocol.
I am not very familiar with how it works but basically there is a tracker where all the peers connect to (also providing their respective ip addresses) and say what chunks of a torrent they have and what they are missing and it basically lets you to download from everyone who is connected to that particular tracker and they do so in kind. The more users are connected the faster you can download since there are more peers.
I do not know of any BitTorrent clients that have inbuilt viruses but it is true that you can download a virus if the original files, that have been distributed, contain one. As long as you know that (as long as you know what you are doing) and do not execute the files you should be okay.
I cannot recall every having downloaded torrents that contained viruses, though and since this is the official source I doubt that there is a virus included since I doubt that 4ls would do something like that.
So just grab a client (on windows I prefer qbittorrent, on Linux I use either transmission or, most of the time, rtorrent), download the torrent file and open the torrent file in your bittorrent client of choice.
You may want to change some things, though, like limiting your upload-rate so your bandwidth isn't clogged but there should be enough peers by now that you don't have to worry about that.
"[...] it's just a ride."
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

The basic idea behind BitTorrent is that it essentially splits the file into a bunch of pieces: you could think of it as a big jigsaw puzzle. The ".torrent file" that you download connects you with a bunch of people who have or want the file, and you all swap puzzle pieces around (you do too, once you have pieces to swap). That way no one person gets swamped with having to give all of the pieces to everybody, and even if one person has to disconnect, the others can still swap pieces around.

Even once you solve the puzzle (in other words, get the whole file), you still give pieces to people as long as you stay connected. This is called seeding, and it's important because you need seeders on the network to guarantee that everyone can get the whole file. Because of that, it's considered good manners to stay connected for a little while once you have the whole file; for popular files like this, an hour or two should be enough.
Walpurgisnacht

Post by Walpurgisnacht »

Sgt_Frog wrote:Okay, I've been avoiding this site lately due to not wanting to read spoilers and all that. So I fully intend to get every path and all that. But the problem is...how do I get it? What do I do? I have no idea how (or even what) a "torrent" is, let alone how to get it to work for me. The only thing I know about torrents is that they tend to be filled with viruses and other unpleasant things. The "release post" on the blog mentioned something about direct download links, so I hope they'll get those up.

Anyway, I hope I can get some reliable answers on what I need to do. It might be asking too much for a dev's input on this, but it's worth a try, right?
You need UTorrent only.
Start the torrent, when its finished downloading, seed a little bit. (Doesn't really matter how long, but its a nice compliment to seed; you can stop whenever you like)
Cancel seeding, by stopping.
Show output folder
Katawa Shoujo should be there, no need to extract with winrar or anything.
Anklejbiter

Post by Anklejbiter »

Zarakava wrote: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:07 pm Not sure if you really are just this new to the internet... but...
Holy- how new must I be to be unironically asking his question 8 years later?