Not a valid torrent file? (Mac)

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.

Not a valid torrent file? (Mac)

Post by Guest »

I'm having trouble with the torrent, as the program Transmission says that it is not a valid torrent file. I'm not super computer literate, so any help would be appreciated.

Re: Not a valid torrent file? (Mac)

Post by default »

Apologies, I thought I was logged on when I posted, should I delete and repost?
Juno

Post by Juno »

Have you tried downloading that file again? I'm seeding the Mac version fine and see that some Mac clients are using Transmission.

Post by default »

I have downloaded it several times on two different browsers to be sure, the error message keeps saying: "The torrent file cannot be opened because it contains invalid data."
SystemPatch

Post by SystemPatch »

I've also been having trouble with the torrent, while trying to run in Transmission 1.54 (Which is a fairly old version, because OSX 10.4) as well as a few other BT clients, like Tomato Torrent, and Opera's built in client.

After checking the error logs, I suspect it's because the announce URL is UDP instead of HTTP, and it doesn't appear that these older clients support UDP torrents.

Best bet would be to wait for the DDLs to come back, or try from a different computer.

Post by default »

Do you know when the DDL's might come back?
Usageunit

Post by Usageunit »

I had the same problem with Transmission 1.75 on Linux, until I read this thread. I opened the file in a text editor (make sure it can handle binary files) and changed the "d8:announce44:udp://..." to "d8:announce45:http://..." (I.e.: 44->45 and udp->http). It won't connect to the tracker, but it's downloading perfectly fine using DHT.

Post by default »

Holy smokes, it opened. Thanks a million, will post when it finally downloads. It's going a bit slow.