window resize/scale

Questions, answers and issues regarding releases.
firestarter

window resize/scale

Post by firestarter »

Any way to resize/scale up the window besides full screen?
OtakuNinja

Re: window resize/scale

Post by OtakuNinja »

Not that I'm aware of
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

So I found this and works well for my case.
https://github.com/letow/KatawaShoujoHDPatch

Original window size was too small to read from a far and full screen mode distorted the image as it was scaling 4:3 into 16:9.
With this patch it checks most of my checkpoints, resizable window would have been good, but 1080p window and working well in fullscreen is not bad.
Taihennami

Post by Taihennami »

If you're getting stretching in fullscreen mode when the game's aspect ratio (4:3) doesn't match your monitor's aspect ratio (often 16:9, but others are available), there is probably something you can do about it without patching the game itself. This will also help other games which automatically select a 4:3 or 5:4 aspect ratio display mode in fullscreen.

In the old days, most physical displays were 4:3 or 5:4 or something pretty close to that, and operated by rapidly scanning an electron beam over its surface. Changing resolution was simply a matter of changing the pattern of scanning that beam. Your graphics card would emit signals which more-or-less directly controlled this pattern. Many games ran in a significantly lower resolution than the desktop environment, for performance reasons, or in the case of VNs to maximise compatibility with low-end PCs since performance was of less concern.

With the advent of LCD flat-panel displays, the display now has a fixed "native resolution" baked into it at the factory. This is almost certainly the resolution you use for your desktop, and nowadays is usually 16:9, 16:10, or 21:9 for an ultrawide. Other resolutions can still be displayed on it, but this requires rescaling the image to be displayed so that it matches the native resolution of the display. Rescalers of varying quality are routinely built into flat-panel displays, and most modern graphics cards are also capable of internally rescaling the image (usually at higher quality) so that they always emit the native resolution to the display, eliminating the need to use the latter's built-in rescaler. Rotated displays are also typically handled by a rescaler in either the monitor or the graphics card.

One annoying quirk of these rescalers is that they usually default to "fill the display" mode, which both expands the image horizontally to fit the full width, and expands it vertically to fit the full height. If the aspect ratio of the input resolution doesn't match the aspect ratio of the display, this results in visible distortion. However, they very often also have a "preserve aspect ratio" mode, which expands the image by the same amount in both dimensions, until either the height or the width (whichever comes first) fills the display. The rest is then left as a blank border.

To make this effective, you should set both your monitor (via its menu system) and your graphics card (via its control panel software) to "preserve aspect ratio". Alternatively, you can set one of them to not rescale at all (which may be listed as "1:1") and just set the other to "preserve aspect ratio".