Questions about Japan & other things (Big Topic)

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Mirage_GSM

Re: Questions about Japan & other things (Big Topic)

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Transferring in mid-year has been done to the death with any number of OCs already.
If you want to try something original have him transfer at the beginning of the school year - like most transfer students would. Hisao is more of an exception in that way.
If you want him to replace one of the 3-3 students have him replace the guy who replaced Lelouch. That one has no backstory anyway.

And which of your original questions do you consider unanswered? I think an attempt has been made to answer all of them.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
megavipersnake

Post by megavipersnake »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Transferring in mid-year has been done to the death with any number of OCs already.
If you want to try something original have him transfer at the beginning of the school year - like most transfer students would. Hisao is more of an exception in that way.
If you want him to replace one of the 3-3 students have him replace the guy who replaced Lelouch. That one has no backstory anyway.

And which of your original questions do you consider unanswered? I think an attempt has been made to answer all of them.
Okay I will try that but still I will intoduce Hisao later on but another question then: Have all characters in Class 3-3 and Class 3-2 been at Yakamu academy at the very start (Prevoius Years 1-2 included)? Or are there some exceptions to the rule? This question does not really matter anyway since this has more to do with writers who try to write a story that goes over all last three years in Yamaku.

Also there is still not a question answered and that is about Watari, if he could have established a orphanage in Japan (outside the Kanto Region) or at least funded one with the money from his patents?
brythain

Post by brythain »

megavipersnake wrote:Okay I will try that but still I will intoduce Hisao later on but another question then: Have all characters in Class 3-3 and Class 3-2 been at Yakamu academy at the very start (Prevoius Years 1-2 included)? Or are there some exceptions to the rule? This question does not really matter anyway since this has more to do with writers who try to write a story that goes over all last three years in Yamaku.

Also there is still not a question answered and that is about Watari, if he could have established a orphanage in Japan (outside the Kanto Region) or at least funded one with the money from his patents?
1) We don't know if all of them have been there since the beginning. There might be exceptions, certainly.
2) I'm sure Watari could have established one. Here's a piece about orphanages in Japan that does match with some evidence I've seen.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

I don't know who this Watari is, but assuming he has enough money, why shouldn't he be able to?

griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

Watari was a character from Death Note, real name Quilsh Wammy. He was an inventor who set up an orphanage for hyper-intelligent children, training them to be super detectives. (think miniature Sherlock Holmes with all the personality quirks and lack of social skills that come with it)

Anyway, since there are privately owned orphanages in Japan, it shouldn't be a problem to set one up as long as one had the funds. Especially not a guy whose top pupil has enough power to command any police department in any part of the world.

If you're gonna go into THAT territory, I don't think there'd be a great need to try and keep things as realistic as possible because Death Note had quite a few unrealistic parts too, aside from the shinigami and the notebook that killed whoever's name was written in it. Katawa Shoujo is a very slice of life world that seems incompatible with stuff like Wammy's House.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
megavipersnake

Post by megavipersnake »

Guest Poster wrote:Watari was a character from Death Note, real name Quilsh Wammy. He was an inventor who set up an orphanage for hyper-intelligent children, training them to be super detectives. (think miniature Sherlock Holmes with all the personality quirks and lack of social skills that come with it)

Anyway, since there are privately owned orphanages in Japan, it shouldn't be a problem to set one up as long as one had the funds. Especially not a guy whose top pupil has enough power to command any police department in any part of the world.

If you're gonna go into THAT territory, I don't think there'd be a great need to try and keep things as realistic as possible because Death Note had quite a few unrealistic parts too, aside from the shinigami and the notebook that killed whoever's name was written in it. Katawa Shoujo is a very slice of life world that seems incompatible with stuff like Wammy's House.
True but I wanted to actualy throw out the Death Note stuff and maybe replace Watari by a similar character. Like you said KS is slice of life and verry realstic someone even said even I throw out the Death Note Paranormal stuff that I will have nothing left to base on. But I am taking a different take by just using Watari and L as 'background character' or more like cameo's.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

The only few we know who are there from the very beginning (i.e. from say...year 1 of high school) are Shizune, Misha, Lilly (I think Hanako came in at year 2, not sure about Rin). There was a photo of them in their first years in KS if I remember correctly?

Don't be afraid to experiment on things. Novice writers makes mistakes, it's perfectly normal--that's why there's critics and people like us around to try to give you a general direction; every writer has different styles.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

The photo you remember is the one showing Lilly, Shizune and brown-hair Misha operating a noodle stand at the first school festival, back when Lilly and Shizune still got along. That was probably the first year, but since it wasn't a class photo, it doesn't say much. Hanako has definitely been at Yamaku since year 1. (but there's no way she'd be attending a festival) The game has said so in one of the earlier scenes. Personally, I think Emi and Rin have been at Yamaku since the beginning too. Rin was born with her condition and Emi lost her legs way before the first year of high school. There's no reason why they would have transferred in later.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

Same goes for most of the class, really.
There's been speculation that Miki might have lost her hand only recently, but there's no real evidence for that. For the rest I'd simply assume that all but mybe one or two have been there since year 1.

Sore wa himitsu desu.
megavipersnake

Hospital's and Exams. About the Dorms

Post by megavipersnake »

There have been some questions that had come to my mind about Hospitals and school exams in Japan. What if the a character gets "an accident" causing him to be hospitalized for some time and his exams for going to the next year where coming up? Would he be able to do the exams in the hospital if the conditions allow it (being awake and such but still needed to be in hospital)? Or would the new school the character being going to (in this case Yamaku) give the exams instead? Hisao did not had the situation since his heart attack was just somewhere in April which is the beginning of his Japanese school year and he had missed 4 months (which he caught up with reading and such), however I started to wonder what would have happened if he had it earlier just when was going to second year to third year with the exams coming up. I am not native to Japan so I would not know how this would work in real life so that is why I am asking here. And since KS takes place in a realistic world. I kind of need answers in that sense also if this is something that was only introduced/modified (qua laws and rules very recently) lets say 2010. Then please let me know since KS takes place in 2007-2008 school period that's why I am asking.

The other question is about the dorm rooms in Yamaku Academy and all High School's who have Dorms in general in Japan. Is the Student allowed to add some personal things in the dorm rooms like for example ornament hanging to the wall or a book shelf? I recall there was a mention about a bookshelf in the Lilly path and that Kenji added more locks to his doors (according to Hisao description after knocking at Kenji's door). This may seem a stupid question at first but I am not aware of what rules are tied to the dorms beside the curfew. is it also to allowed at school in the dorms during a vacation period?
Guest Poster

Re: Hospital's and Exams. About the Dorms

Post by Guest Poster »

I think Kenji adding more locks to his door wouldn't be allowed in most schools, but most stuff about Kenji is kind of exaggerated. I think dorm rooms are allowed to be personalized a bit. That's why Lilly has classic furniture and Hanako has a very impersonal room.

About exams...if someone falls ill just before entrance exams required to go to another school, it's probably tough luck for them. If it's just tests between school years...skipping grades or being held back very uncommon in Japan. Until a certain point, all pupils in class go through the school years regardless of their grades.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Hisao got his heart attack in winter and joined Yamaku near the end of spring right? He basically has the 'mysterious transfer student'-card waving around. With medical reasons and his last school's report card, I'd say he transfers in without taking the entrance exam.

We're strict in time. You miss the entrance exam, tough luck--try again for next year.

And dorm rooms are...uncommon, unless it's university campuses. Why would we need dorms if we can commute around with trains or busses? If there are, they're usually rented apartments and that depends on the apartment manager.

Kenji will have to pay a lot for the damage he did to the doors, that's for certain. You can argue that he actually attends classes and exams though

SHII-HAEL!
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
megavipersnake

More Questions

Post by megavipersnake »

Megumeru wrote:Hisao got his heart attack in winter and joined Yamaku near the end of spring right? He basically has the 'mysterious transfer student'-card waving around. With medical reasons and his last school's report card, I'd say he transfers in without taking the entrance exam.

We're strict in time. You miss the entrance exam, tough luck--try again for next year.

And dorm rooms are...uncommon, unless it's university campuses. Why would we need dorms if we can commute around with trains or busses? If there are, they're usually rented apartments and that depends on the apartment manager.

Kenji will have to pay a lot for the damage he did to the doors, that's for certain. You can argue that he actually attends classes and exams though
So there could be some special cases. I think I have a solution from my problem and that is where my mystery character I have in mind comes in. Anyway thanks for the answers, I guess I will start writing now even if I do still have problems like calculating in recovery time from an accident and so on. Thank you all for your answers you will be referred to into the story to make this possible.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Sorry, I was a bit busy so here's my answers:

1. Hanako and fire
If it is the work of an arsonist, then it could be possible--but wouldn't that mean Hanako be more 'vengeance driven'-kinda instead of going 'I don't want to remember it'-kinda thing? There's no specific event at the date as far as I remember, but if I reckon there's a wanted arsonist still running around in Japan that has been hunted for awhile now. I'll give his name if you're interested and once I catch a glimpse on the wanted poster again.

2. Graveyards
Graveyards are huge, but they're accessible. Usually there's a stop using the local JR (or train) that leads to a nearby stop--that, or a bus. It's usually outside of the city though.

I'll answer those for now, but I'll get back to it later :)

SHII-HAEL!