Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.
Post Reply

Do you want a Katawa Shoujo Anime?

WHY ISN'T THIS A THING!?!
12
38%
YES!
10
31%
NO!
4
13%
NO THAT'S DUMB!
6
19%
 
Total votes: 32

User avatar
JavaTV
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:19 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by JavaTV » Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:49 am

IF YOU DONT WANT TO READ THIS BACK STORY, THEN SKIP DOWN TO THE NEXT PARAGRAPH.
So over the past few days/weeks I've been enjoying my fair share of the game, trying to 100% the game, getting to know every character and their stories.
But even before that (A month or two back) I have been thinking about the idea of making anime. I began to draw manga style characters and then slowly moving into adding my previous skills of stop-motion/Animation type films together with it.
Over the past month now i have been making small short animations like the ones in Katawa Shoujo, no longer than a minute or two.

Anyways... To the point!
I am wondering if i should try to make a Katawa Shoujo anime.
It was very easy for me to imagine every scene and action in the game in my head as it would be if it were an anime, that being said what does the community think of the idea?
Of course this is MOST LIKELY not a task i can take on by myself. But i would like to try...

If you like the idea, be sure to say so! Reply to this post with your thoughts and suggestions!
Some things i have to think about, that you of course can help with is how this is going to fit together :), If you have any suggestions to the following bumps in the road, BY ALL MEANS! SAY SO!
- Getting every characters story in the Anime without repeating act 1 again and again. (VERY IMPORTANT TO ME)
- Opening video and Ending video to the episode.
- Which character should i do first?
- (Probably more later as it comes)

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2524
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by Silentcook » Thu Aug 07, 2014 12:09 pm

First, I agree that you're thinking of setting a monumental task ahead of yourself, and the odds of you succeeding seem very low.

Second, you should really go read the game and forums FAQs on these forums (or the game manual, but it's rather clear that you missed that one). You should at least ask us for permission before attempting such a project.

Finally, no it's NOT okay to make a thread where you ask for people to post their suggestions on this - it can be compared to setting up a barbecue and party in someone else's backyard.
Shattering your dreams since '94.

Image

User avatar
JavaTV
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:19 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by JavaTV » Thu Aug 07, 2014 9:34 pm

Silentcook wrote:First, I agree that you're thinking of setting a monumental task ahead of yourself, and the odds of you succeeding seem very low.

Second, you should really go read the game and forums FAQs on these forums (or the game manual, but it's rather clear that you missed that one). You should at least ask us for permission before attempting such a project.

Finally, no it's NOT okay to make a thread where you ask for people to post their suggestions on this - it can be compared to setting up a barbecue and party in someone else's backyard.
1) I do agree, the odds of completing something like this are low, but i've been doing animation for a while now and i introduced myself to anime only fairly recently

2) That is what i thought i was doing, i have not started my attempt on this project.

3) I don't see how that illustration fits your argument

Sorry, i don't mean to be hostile in any way. I just don't see what it is your saying on these points.
:)

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 6036
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by Mirage_GSM » Fri Aug 08, 2014 3:00 am

He means that you posted here and asked the community whether you should do this when you should have probably asked the developers.
Also, if you had read the FAQ first you would have known that the answer will be "no".
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

User avatar
CoffeeDrive
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by CoffeeDrive » Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:55 am

Unless the Dev's give you personally explicit permission to be exempt from their license you cant legally do it.

The license says you cant make derivatives of KS, no anime, new games etc with intention to distribute, sure if you made it for yourself that would be okay but if you put it on youtube or send it to anyone you're breaking the law.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl

User avatar
JavaTV
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:19 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by JavaTV » Fri Aug 08, 2014 9:47 pm

CoffeeDrive wrote:Unless the Dev's give you personally explicit permission to be exempt from their license you cant legally do it.

The license says you cant make derivatives of KS, no anime, new games etc with intention to distribute, sure if you made it for yourself that would be okay but if you put it on youtube or send it to anyone you're breaking the law.
ERMERGERD, i know. I was asking if it would even be an interest to the people for me to even go through the hassle of asking. If no one actually cares then whats the point of asking. I never said i started working on this yet.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by SpunkySix » Fri Aug 08, 2014 10:48 pm

JavaTV wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:Unless the Dev's give you personally explicit permission to be exempt from their license you cant legally do it.

The license says you cant make derivatives of KS, no anime, new games etc with intention to distribute, sure if you made it for yourself that would be okay but if you put it on youtube or send it to anyone you're breaking the law.
ERMERGERD, i know. I was asking if it would even be an interest to the people for me to even go through the hassle of asking. If no one actually cares then whats the point of asking. I never said i started working on this yet.
Read the rules, man. They specifically say not to do that.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
JavaTV
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:19 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by JavaTV » Sat Aug 09, 2014 1:13 am

SpunkySix wrote:
JavaTV wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:Unless the Dev's give you personally explicit permission to be exempt from their license you cant legally do it.

The license says you cant make derivatives of KS, no anime, new games etc with intention to distribute, sure if you made it for yourself that would be okay but if you put it on youtube or send it to anyone you're breaking the law.
ERMERGERD, i know. I was asking if it would even be an interest to the people for me to even go through the hassle of asking. If no one actually cares then whats the point of asking. I never said i started working on this yet.
Read the rules, man. They specifically say not to do that.
Your right, in a way it does say not to do this thing. But it seems like such a great idea that i would 100% talk to the devs about this.
(I have talked to many devs, music artists, etc. about things like using their work for another piece of work so it is not all that odd for me.)
Although i do not see that i'm not allowed to ask the community for their opinion on the idea (although i may have missed it). If no one wants this, by all means ill leave it alone. But if the community wants something like this, then i will by all means sit down and have a "chat" with the devs. I cant promise they will say yes of course, but again, i'm willing to try.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by SpunkySix » Sat Aug 09, 2014 2:41 am

JavaTV wrote:Although i do not see that i'm not allowed to ask the community for their opinion on the idea (although i may have missed it)
It is there, (basically under "don't ask, just do". It's kind of an... iffy rule when applied to most situations, if I can stick my neck out for a second here, but it's there for a reason and we have to respect that.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Mirage_GSM
Posts: 6036
Joined: Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:24 am
Location: Germany

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by Mirage_GSM » Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:34 am

JavaTV wrote:Your right, in a way it does say not to do this thing. But it seems like such a great idea that i would 100% talk to the devs about this.
Great idea, huh?
Do you even have an idea what kind of effort it is to make an anime?
4LS had a team of more than a dozen members working on this VN for more than five years and an anime is a whole lot more work than a VN, even if you didn't have to write the dialogue.
Professional anime studios have a staff bigger than that and work full-time.

And you think you can create something like that because you did some stop-motion films before?
Mike Inel did those five sequences for the VN, and they are great! I don't know how much time he put into those, but the effort to make the whole of KS into an anime would be a thousand times that not counting voice acting since an anime would not get by without those. And in all likelyhood it would still suck in the end.

So, yes, I do understand why the devs oppose such fan-projects: because it is a dumb idea.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.

Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You
Posts: 2524
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:22 am
Location: Imola, Italy

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by Silentcook » Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:28 am

Okay, let's try this again from the top.

Hi. I'm one of the game developers. I thought you might have realized that, what with the differently-colored forum name and presence of a title plus my name appearing in the credits of KS, but apparently not.

Like I told you, the default answer to your question is "no". You can find it here, as well as in the license details. You seem to have missed all locations where this was stated, whether more or less clearly.

To have a hope of altering the answer you are required to ask permission from us, the game developers, not the fanbase. There is no "in a way" about this.

Asking the fanbase first in this way mostly shows that you are willing to make an attempt only as long as you have some assurance of support, some assurance of interest, and someone that will "suggest" how to do your job to you. This is not really the kind of attitude which can carry one through a project of the size you are implying.

You have a link in your signature, but it leads to an empty YouTube channel. There is no showcase of your previous works.

Even letting the lesser breaches slide, nothing of the above inspires any confidence in your skills, motivations or dedication.
Shattering your dreams since '94.

Image

User avatar
JavaTV
Posts: 5
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:19 am
Location: USA
Contact:

Re: Katawa Shoujo ANIME?

Post by JavaTV » Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:11 pm

[quote="And you think you can create something like that because you did some stop-motion films before?
Mike Inel did those five sequences for the VN, and they are great! I don't know how much time he put into those, but the effort to make the whole of KS into an anime would be a thousand times that not counting voice acting since an anime would not get by without those. And in all likelyhood it would still suck in the end.[/quote]

Who said i didn't have a team?
And to silentcook, Sorry i will respect your wishes. And also, i have not posted anything because i do not count 2 minute films as good enough films. I'm the type of person that only posts something really REALLY worth showing.
But it seems as if you have your definitive answer so i will respect your wishes of course. You guys are an awesome team and i'd hate to upset you :3
I'll just move to another project. Not big deal ;)
Honestly an answer from one of the devs would have been the easiest way to handle it :P
Thanks you guys

Post Reply