Katawa DOOM!

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

NekoDude

Katawa DOOM!

Post by NekoDude »

I did these mash-ups a couple months ago, but the project they're for has never gotten off the ground. It, like these songs, would have been a work of parody, a specifically protected class of "free speech", which is why Weird Al can do his re-works of popular songs, and other people can make (and distribute) "filk" songs, even without obtaining permission -- and even sell them, though I'm not trying to sell these.

There are eight [EDIT: nine] tracks here. Seven of them take one song from DOOM / DOOM ][ / Final Doom, and mash it with one song from Katawa Shoujo. The eighth track is a drum solo based on the seventh track because I thought it would be funny if the scene centered on Shizune had only a beat and nothing else. Of course, I suck at hitting pre-defined targets and ended up making it a full-fledged drum solo.
Last edited by NekoDude on Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Art is never finished, only abandoned.
Nekonomicon thread and downloads
White Mice music!
d2r

Re: Katawa DOOM!

Post by d2r »

It took me a sec to realize which songs were being mashed up, but these are amazing. Well done!

EDIT: I'm serious. This is 10/10. I've downloaded it and put it into my iTunes, and will incorporate it into my study playlist.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

d2r wrote:It took me a sec to realize which songs were being mashed up, but these are amazing. Well done!

EDIT: I'm serious. This is 10/10. I've downloaded it and put it into my iTunes, and will incorporate it into my study playlist.
Thanks! I tried to put something in each track to make an observant listener chuckle or :lol: . The second one (Kitchen of Pain) was done first, and in fact was the proof of concept that led to doing all the others. That's part of the reason I had the sarcasm turned up to eleven on that track. The remaining tracks were done in the order they appear, so the actual creation order would be 2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
White Mice music!
d2r

Post by d2r »

NekoDude wrote:
d2r wrote:It took me a sec to realize which songs were being mashed up, but these are amazing. Well done!

Thanks! I tried to put something in each track to make an observant listener chuckle or :lol: . The second one (Kitchen of Pain) was done first, and in fact was the proof of concept that led to doing all the others. That's part of the reason I had the sarcasm turned up to eleven on that track. The remaining tracks were done in the order they appear, so the actual creation order would be 2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
"Shi'z Got the Gun" is my favorite; it really just...works. :P

EDIT: I've been playing that song on a loop while pulling an all-nighter to give me the strength. Thank you, NekoDude.
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

I... honestly can't believe how well this works. I've only ever played Doom once or twice, so I'm only vaguely familiar with the music, but after a few listens and figuring out the songs they've been mashed with, this is some seriously impressive work. They're Going to Decide's probably my favourite right now, but this is a download jobbie now and it may change after a few more listens (normally does xD). And Shi'z got the beat made me laugh, everyone loves a good drum solo :P
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

For those of you who liked the Doom/KS crossovers, you might also like:
Last edited by NekoDude on Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
White Mice music!
Duper

Post by Duper »

LOL "Sendai Aerospace" XD

Very nice work! Nice skiing music!
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

I've decided that the tracks for the new VN that sound like White Mice, are White Mice, only they're using another name (Les Salauds Géants, or "The Giant Bastards", which is from something Emi will call Daisuke in the third book). Even some that wouldn't have previously been associated with White Mice (because they use saxophone and/or are more in a jazz vein) are attributed to Les Salauds Géants. I'm trying to reduce, reuse, recycle when it comes to my various musical "groups".

Also, if you're paying attention -- that means the continuity of the "...And Nakai Makes Three" / "Three of a Perfect Pair" series extends a minimum of seven years from its origins, and I already have the major events of that continuity plotted out. I won't be writing that entire time into this series of books, but most of this cast (my OCs, at least) will be appearing elsewhere.
White Mice music!
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

As I have commented elsewhere, I have chosen to sever my connection to the VN I was involved with. The primary reason is that I don't see it standing a snowball's chance in Hell of being completed in any sort of reasonable time frame with the current staff. I know KS took five years, but they didn't exactly plan for it to take that long. This other project apparently is planning on taking that long, and I don't see myself being around for the end of it. There are also interpersonal issues, and one of the people I found most obstructive to getting things done was the project lead. Also, I thought I was signing on as the least experienced of four writers, and it turned out I was the only one who had ever worked on anything remotely like this before. When I tried (successfully, I might add) to step in and provide a framework for the story and the narrative structure, I had a few people accuse me of "trying to take over the project".

Even all of that didn't drive me completely away, I merely announced that I would step back into the roles I started with, and do as instructed rather than take the lead. The reaction to this, by the same people who condemned me for stepping up in the first place, was sufficiently poisonous that I not only withdrew from the project, but withdrew the right to use any of my creations other than those people had already started to expand on. That makes all of the tracks I created "orphans", as they no longer have a project associated with them. Because of this, I had to change the album name. Blame Bandcamp for the fact that this in turn breaks the URLs.

tl;dr: I had a "screw you guys, I'm going home" incident, and the orphaned music is now found here. If you liked the way I previously nailed together two genres that probably shouldn't be nailed together, you'll probably like at least some of these. (For example -- "Hurt Me" staples together Culture Club, Toto, and the Canadian Brass. Don't ask how, just listen.)

Oh yeah, I'm available for other projects now. (I always was, due to the high viscosity of the workflow on the other, but now I don't even have to worry about that.) I will accept music requests for projects with "fuzzy scheduling", but if you want a writer you'd better have a plan in place.
White Mice music!
NekoDude

New track added.

Post by NekoDude »

A new track has been added to Sendai Aerospace, entitled Darkness Falls. I've slotted it in second, which means the order of creation (as the album stands currently) is: 3, 1, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 2.

Here is the new track alone, and here is the entire album.
White Mice music!
Bluegaze

Post by Bluegaze »

I like it, but I can hardly tell there is Katawa music in most of these, but my hearing was never any good so I guess it's just myself.
It's cool nevertheless :3 I like the old games feel in it.

Running with the Devil and They're Going to Decide are my favourites.
Teenage Honved Fan

Post by Teenage Honved Fan »

Going to download it now and I'll see what I think of it after work.
Lilly > Miki > Akira

The holy trinity.
NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

I'm pleased to report that most of the orphan works from the VN I left are no longer orphaned. They are now in service for a different VN. This one is of a much darker vein, which suits me fine. It would be considered by some to be in poor taste, but that's never stopped me. It already has more participation and support than the one I was on before.

If you're interested, I'm posting them here. "Infectible Touch" and the last ones (from #10 onward) are new, having all been made since I got the gig on Sunday. Both "Infectible Touch" and "Reap the Fear" are sarcastic and intended to make the listener wonder why I did pop and rock with a string quartet or a brass quintet (but they still work).

There may be a couple more Katawa Doom songs to come, but they're on the back burner for now.

Direct links:
Infectible Touch
Reap the Fear
March to the Scaffold (from Symphonie Fantastique)
Komm, süßer Tod, komm selge Ruh
White Mice music!
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Fight Song made me laugh, for some reason. Sounds good though, Infectible Touch is great fun :)
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

NekoDude

Post by NekoDude »

I've now busted out the entire Orphans file, having noted the sheer number of characters without music (or much of anything else) written specifically for them. If they get dropped and/or consolidated, we'll worry about reassigning things but hopefully just giving them something more than a name and one or two statements about them will be enough to prompt the writers to develop them.

Along the way, I've also come up with two more tracks. One is not new, but comes from a different "archive": Royal Fanfare, for the pompous headmaster of the school. The other really is new: L-L-O-V.

All I can say about this last one is that it has become an instant favorite for me, though it clocks in at just 89 seconds.

If you were wondering about the slowdown in Nekonomicon updates lately, this would be why. There's just so much music to be done, and it flows from me so much more readily than do words.
White Mice music!