Post and discuss your writing software set-up!

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

NekoDude

Re: Post and discuss your writing software set-up!

Post by NekoDude »

forgetmenot wrote:Pink noise's power, however, scales linearly downwards with respect to the power of the noise (in decibels, or dB for short). Mathematically, this means that the same amount of power is in the 50 - 100 Hz band as the 5,000 - 10,000 Hz band.
I find this works very well for masking anything resembling conversation, without being excessively tiring on the ears. I may still be able to detect that speech is going on outside my range, but I'm no longer devoting a large chunk of my mental capacity to trying to interpret it. If you want something more natural sounding though, Rainy Mood works pretty well too.

What you don't want is brown noise. That tends to leave marks on your chair. :lol:

Anyhow, I typically write with a raw text outline (Notepad++) on one monitor, and a browser running Google Docs on the other. For some purposes, Word works better, but Google Docs allows me to offer up my writing for immediate proofreading and fact-checking. I also often have Excel running and use it as sort of a scratch pad to make sure the timing of events works, or that the score of some game is accurate. For example, the scene where Hanako nicks a frame of snooker from Suzu would have been difficult to track accurately without taking notes, and if I'm taking notes, why not use something that can add up my numbers for me?
Art is never finished, only abandoned.
Nekonomicon thread and downloads
White Mice music!
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

You're all putting me to shame :I

I just have QuickOffice on my phone and a coffee on the side next to me.
Most of my writing takes place during my lunch break...
reflects the general quality of output
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Oh, I don't figure I am. :mrgreen:
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

My setup isn't exactly awesome, dude. Your setup is pretty much what I used when I first started writing.
brythain

Post by brythain »

Hmmm, here's an article about an interesting writing aid.

Essentially, it's a collection of useful lists that can be applied to style-check your work for bad 'diction'.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:Hmmm, here's an article about an interesting writing aid.

Essentially, it's a collection of useful lists that can be applied to style-check your work for bad 'diction'.
I like his list of words to not use. When you stop and think, even the common ones do seem pretty forced.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

I just open notepad.exe to write and save scenes as .txt files.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

I have OpenOffice in one monitor and Dramatica open in the other, along with a notepad file of things/quotes/revelations that pop up that I want to put into the story.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself