Submitting of fan fiction: Episodic vs. whole releases

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

NekoDude

Re: Submitting of fan fiction: Episodic vs. whole releases

Post by NekoDude »

monkeywitha6pack wrote:Personally I prefer a mix of them both. Finishing writing the whole thing, then releasing it episodically. It makes it so you are gurentied a chapter to post on any givin day and you receive critisim so you can edit parts to fit more with what people point out so you don't write yourself into a hole to deep
I've found a compromise, I think. I've been releasing the second book as I go, but I'm retaining about an 80 page buffer at this point. I don't want to make it much smaller, as I've already had to retcon the unreleased portion a few times, and the released portion once (though it was just a minor detail about the number of floors that had to be traversed).
Art is never finished, only abandoned.
Nekonomicon thread and downloads
White Mice music!
Eurobeatjester

Re: Submitting of fan fiction: Episodic vs. whole releases

Post by Eurobeatjester »

As a reader, initially I would have said that I prefer it to be posted in one chunk. I hate having to wait for new chapters :P

As a writer (and now as a reader) I prefer episodic releases.

Writers tend to fall in love with their own work and have a unique perspective of being unable to see the story from the reader's perspective. As such, if you don't have readers or even editors, you can write yourself into some pretty big blunders and not even realize it. Readers provide fresh viewpoints on the story, and while the main story that you want to tell remains the same, the feedback is amazing to tailor the finer points of progression within it.

I know the feedback I've received on my own work as it progresses has changed it, and I've liked the changes that have come around because of it.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself