"Yamaku Scavenger Hunt" preview, Lilly gameplay

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Merlyn_LeRoy

"Yamaku Scavenger Hunt" preview, Lilly gameplay

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

This game is far from done, but I realized I could demonstrate playing as Lilly since hardly anything needs to be finished...

Sequence of events:
Lilly puts her folding cane into her pocket and feels for her pocket music player on the desk
She picks it up and starts playing Satie's "Gymnopédie No. 1" and drops it on her table.
She sits at the table and feels for the teapot and teacup, then picks up the teapot, pours some tea, and drinks it, thinking to herself "I love hot tea..."
Lilly stands up and feels for her music player, and picks it up and puts it in her pocket.
She calls out for Hanako, and Hanako starts following her.
Lilly goes back to the desk to turn off the fan, then leaves her room with Hanako.
She goes to the elevator (has a little problem finding the call button), and takes it down to the first floor, then leaves the building with Hanako.
"Gymnopédie No. 1" performed by Charlie Taiming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-QzelLDyUM), used with permission.
Last edited by Merlyn_LeRoy on Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
OtakuNinja

Re: "Yamaku Scavenger Hunt" preview, Lilly gameplay

Post by OtakuNinja »

The second link doesn't work. :3
Emibro, Hanabro, [Lilly Lover], Rin Kin, Feminist, Two-timer
(Passively working on my KS YouTube series. Someday...)
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

Fixed, thanks; when you edit a post, it breaks URLs that are abbreviated with ellipses.
Vigilante

Post by Vigilante »

Gameplay seems based on hearing, so I doubt other characters will appear..
Looking forward to the full version.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

All the girls will be there, the normal graphics come on when you aren't playing as Lilly. But I need to make more objects first, redraw all the girls, etc.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

If nothing else, it';s a very interesting idea.
Not Dead Yet
Burial_By_Fire

Post by Burial_By_Fire »

Innovative idea. Lousy art. I'd get a better graphical designer working on it.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

I'm planning on redrawing the girls eventually. As for a graphical designer, it's only me working on this.
Nekken

Post by Nekken »

Nifty concept. If I may make a suggestion, have you considered a mechanic for smell as well as hearing?

My thoughts: some rooms have strong smells associated with them: "I love the smell of tea" for Lilly's room, for example, or "I never really liked the smell of medicine" for the Nurse's office, or even "Ugh! Paint fumes!" for the art room. These strong smells could be represented by turning the background a different color (which obviously is not what Lilly experiences, but the existing graphics are already an attempt to translate her experience into sight). This allows for a limited form of landmarking ability, though most rooms probably shouldn't have strong smells worth pointing out.

In addition, some objects also have distinctive (though weaker) scents. If there isn't an overpowering scent in the room, then as Lilly comes near scented objects, she begins to smell them: the background begins to change color again (possibly matching a room associated with the scent). Smell can't directly indicate the direction of an object, nor does it necessarily indicate exactly what the object is, but it does get stronger (to a limited degree) as Lilly gets closer. "Huh? Do I smell paint?" might indicate that Rin's latest work-in-progress is nearby, or it might indicate Rin herself. "Someone has clearly been exercising" could be Emi, or some other member of the track team, or just a pile of laundry. "Grapes? Why do I smell grapes?" might indicate Hisao and his "cologne". :lol:

The idea isn't really to make the game easier, though some objects (especially objects hidden behind or under things) might be easier to smell than they are to see. Some of those could even be items that Lilly herself doesn't need, but another character might.
Falling in love is a volcano. Being in love is a kotatsu.
Merlyn_LeRoy

Post by Merlyn_LeRoy »

I've considered adding smell (it would be easy to add them), I just don't have anything that uses it yet. Those are some good suggestions, though, and I try to make playing as Lilly easier just because it's so hard to play as her.

In most cases, other characters can go to the same areas that Lilly can, so you can just change which character you're playing to see what's near Lilly, but there are times when only one girl can get to a particular area.