(Thread split) Fanmade Miki path

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

carrion_crow

Re: Akira Pseudo-Route [Updated as of 5/3]

Post by carrion_crow »

......well Thanatos.....from a huge fan....I apologize for bringing up the Miki idea since so many people turned it into a a debate over licensing..... :shock:
Akira=Miki>Lily>Emi>Rin>Hanako...........and shizune I guess
Helbereth

Post by Helbereth »

I'm not trying to seem like the "what are you going to do about it" kind of person, but how would you legally enforce that? Wasn't a major reason for KS not being sold at a premium due to the people working on the project (you included) being so widespread across the planet? Do you just enforce a cease-and-desist, like Square Enix?
Perhaps there's nothing truly illegal, or actionable about what you're doing, but that isn't the point. The fact is you weren't given permission to reuse their assets, and when asked not to, instead of respecting that request, you became petulant. 4LS spent 5 years building KS, and while it's probably true that making a spin-off is something the community would enjoy, your efforts will be tainted unless you offer the original creators as much respect as the work itself. If they don't want you reusing their coding and assets, you should respect that request--that may make your project harder to complete, but it's more honorable.

I fully expect to get flamed for this, but I believe in mutual respect among artists/writers/coders/creators/etc..
nemz

Post by nemz »

This whole discussion is wildly out of place here and probably ought to be trimmed out and sent elsewhere by a moderator of some sort, don't you think?

I can appreciate the creator's wishes to not have the game treated as just a pile of 'exploit-ables', and that really should be respected. That said, I also don't understand why they wouldn't be willing to allow expansions to be created so long as they meet quality requirements, maintain the right atmosphere and story tone, and don't significantly alter anything of the original routes beyond act 1. If it were me I'd actually facilitate exactly that, or nominate someone trustworthy and capable to coordinate it for me if I was lazy/busy/uninterested.
Rin > Shizune > Emi > Hanako > Lilly
Alphabro

Post by Alphabro »

I really didn't want to create an account on here just to add to a discussion that shouldn't be in this thread in the first place, but I'd just like to clarify that not a single person who has posted in here is involved in any way with the Miki pseudoroute work, and that I also feel it's been fairly misrepresented both in attitude and intent.

You can look through the scripts as they exist right now, completely public (which can be found here), and see that there's not a single call-in for a KS art asset. If it has to stay like that, as much as I regret that being the case, then it will. The script may be written in standard RenPy format, which we did because we wanted the route to read in the same format as the routes from the game itself, but it still falls under the same category as any other fanfiction. If the development team needs any further clarification, please email me at ksgalphabro@gmail.com, since I don't want to continue detracting from somebody else's pseudoroute work just to have this discussion.
Last edited by Alphabro on Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

(Thread split) Fanmade Miki path

Post by Silentcook »

This thread contains the posts that polluted a fanfic thread. I feel that none of these users demonstrated the least thought or consideration when posting there. The incriminated posts are archived here to clean up the original thread and avoid any further Internet drama.

This is not a good first. Do not expect such a thing to happen again.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

aidz

Re: (Thread split) Fanmade Miki path

Post by aidz »

Katawa Shoujo has ended, perfectly. If you're left wanting more it's a good ending

Remember how good lost season 1 was? then when they made season 2 it was total shit

imagine that except with less hurley and more disabled girls
BlackWaltzTheThird

Post by BlackWaltzTheThird »

I am saddened that this discussion had to exist here, let alone detract from Thanatos' thread. Some people can't leave well enough alone.

I can only hope that this series of events does not have a negative impact on those to which it pertains or any of the projects in which they may be involved.
BlackWaltz's One-stop Oneshot Shop - my fanfiction portal topic. Contains links to all my previous works, plus starting now any new ones I may produce (or reproduce)! Please, check it out!

BlackWaltz's Pastebin - for those who prefer to read things with no formatting and stuff. It's mostly the same as in my thread. Also contains assorted other writing!
TheComicIsDead

Post by TheComicIsDead »

Excuse me, Suriko. I PM'd you. I wanted to make sure you got it.
Suriko wrote:
naxxar wrote:Well we do have a Miki route currently being made by a couple guys from KSG, they're building it into the VN with modified miki assets so if we are lucky it'll be good and finished soon
You can make a VN if you so wish, but we never gave clearance to use KS art assets, and that includes modified assets. 'Assets' does not just include art, but also the game itself. If you do this, you grab renpy and start programming, because no way are we going to greenlight modifying KS to add your own content.

To be honest, there is also a difference between "you can do this" and "this is a good idea", but that's on you.
MegaMoto

Post by MegaMoto »

Why aren't people happy with fanfiction instead of butting heads with the developers ? Didn't Miki only have like five minutes of screen time I like some of the fanfiction about her it's good but jeez.
Dream

Post by Dream »

Jesus, talk about an over-reaction from all sides.
"It is not reason, more or less furnished, but will that makes the world march"

"Unfortunately, if you can think of something really stupid, someone out there probably believes it." -Xanatos
LorSquirrel

Post by LorSquirrel »

Dream wrote:Jesus, talk about an over-reaction from all sides.
No shit...
siaho

Post by siaho »

I understand why the original devs don't want people to make this stuff, but i also understand why people want it.
When a story is well written, you develop an emotional attachment to it. I kinda feel that way about the KS world.
Even if no one was making suggestions to expand the number of romanceable characters, I still wish the original story revealed more about some of the supporting characters.
Playing the Hanako path gave Miki very little screen time, but it made her instantly memorable and interesting.
Yuuko and Kenji, Misha without Shizune....
I want to get to know the characters better.

I know that KS is considered complete, and I want to respect that, but the story was too interesting and emotionally investing in some ways, to really accept that there's nothing else there.
Seeker91

Post by Seeker91 »

siaho wrote:I understand why the original devs don't want people to make this stuff, but i also understand why people want it.
When a story is well written, you develop an emotional attachment to it. I kinda feel that way about the KS world.
Even if no one was making suggestions to expand the number of romanceable characters, I still wish the original story revealed more about some of the supporting characters.
Playing the Hanako path gave Miki very little screen time, but it made her instantly memorable and interesting.
Yuuko and Kenji, Misha without Shizune....
I want to get to know the characters better.

I know that KS is considered complete, and I want to respect that, but the story was too interesting and emotionally investing in some ways, to really accept that there's nothing else there.
Well put, it is way too much interesting as a universe to not want to see and learn more. But still, the fans have to respect the dev's wishes not to use any of their original content. Now, for what the script is worth it's not bad at all.
"The things that I want", by Hanako Ikezawa. A chocolate bar. A cup of tea. For the sun to shine. I want to sleep to forget. To change the past. My parents and skin back. Unlimited chess pieces and a license to skip turns. Right then, more than anything, I wanted him.