Inspired to make a VN

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

LightYagami

Inspired to make a VN

Post by LightYagami »

This is my first time posting on these forums. Katawa Shoujo was the first visual novel I've ever played and is now responsible for me playing other VNs. After finishing KS, I felt compelled to make a fan game. So I started working on a visual novel engine. I am aware of Ren'Py, but I'm more comfortable with C# and XNA Studio. The engine is nearing completion, and I now feel it is the right time to start asking for help. The idea for the game is still undecided. I was thinking it could be a re-telling of the first game where events happen differently, or a continuation of the story of the first game. The following is a demonstration of the game engine I wrote. None of the sounds and graphics are intended for the final game, but are simply there to show the engine in action.

Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFS6qWAIAEE

I'm a programmer, not art artist. I need interested parties who can create music, graphics, and story plots. Everyone who helps will have a say in the game's direction. Is anyone interested in helping?

UPDATE:
==============================================================================================================================
I have set-up a website so all interested parties can collaborate together.

http://games.c0var1ant.com/

Please, add me on skype. All my contact information is on the website.

UPDATE 2:
==============================================================================================================================
We are now an official studio with an official website.

http://www.squarepulsestudios.com
Last edited by LightYagami on Sat Apr 28, 2012 5:35 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Re: Katawa Shoujo Deux - (Fan Game Sequel)

Post by Silentcook »

From the FAQs:
About the license:

Katawa Shoujo is released under a Creative Commons BY-NC-ND license. You can find the full version of the license in the manual, or you can follow this link: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-nd/3.0/

BY-NC-ND means "Attributed, Non-Commercial and No Derivative works". In other words:

1. You are free to distribute Katawa Shoujo as it is, as long you attribute it to be the work of Four Leaf Studios.

2. You may not use Katawa Shoujo for any commercial purposes, including making money out of distributing the game or any fanworks.

3. You may not alter the game, nor make your own derivative work that builds on it. Specifically, we have a dislike for reverse engineering the game to extract the music, art or scripts, which is in breach of this license.
While your intentions might not be harmful, you're in pretty clear breach of our license concerning "derivative work" and "game ripping" there.

You're also not the first to try to go this way. While we're happy and even flattered that people would decide to try making VNs because of us, prequeling/sequeling/adding-on to KS is not the way to go. Try your hand at original works.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

LightYagami

Post by LightYagami »

Alright, fair enough. I'll do something else with this engine. One question though, if the artwork is created and not ripped or derived from the game's assets is it still a violation of creative commons? The example in the video is clearly a violation and I never intend to release anything like that which is why I state the graphics and sounds are not intended for the final game. I'd rather not upset the creators of this game. If you feel I should do something else, I will.
Sajomir

Post by Sajomir »

LightYagami wrote:One question though, if the artwork is created and not ripped or derived from the game's assets is it still a violation of creative commons?
What do you mean "created?" Are you asking if you can use the characters/setting if you draw the new sprites and backgrounds yourself? The answer would still be "no" as it's a derivative work based on the Katawa Shoujo intellectual property.
Animator for the Katawa Shoujo Fighting Game
We are looking for additional animators and spriters! Please PM me :D
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

LightYagami-

I have to agree that KS inspired in me the urge to be creative again, as well. Obviously, we cannot make derivative works, use fan art, etc. However, an original idea gives the opportunity for more creative freedom. If you can design a solid engine, then the next logical step would be to develop an idea, and find other people to help you make the project a reality. I therefore offer my services as a writer, if you will have me.

-Paladin
[10:59:46 PM] GIR: so who's the soapdropper?
[11:00:00 PM] T. C. Paladin: BWAHAHAHA!!!!! ROFL!
[11:00:14 PM] GIR: no i mean i figured one of you is using that as your IRC nickname
[11:00:19 PM] T. C. Paladin: i have no clue, but that is hilarious
[11:02:25 PM]T. C. Paladin: lol wow. i'm going to have to use that one someday
LightYagami

Post by LightYagami »

Paladin wrote:LightYagami-

I have to agree that KS inspired in me the urge to be creative again, as well. Obviously, we cannot make derivative works, use fan art, etc. However, an original idea gives the opportunity for more creative freedom. If you can design a solid engine, then the next logical step would be to develop an idea, and find other people to help you make the project a reality. I therefore offer my services as a writer, if you will have me.

-Paladin
Well, I see now that I'm not allowed to make THIS specific game. I'm a man with a visual novel engine and no visual novel. It's a shame to waste the time I spent on the engine. I'll still make something ,just not a game based on KS I suppose. In that case, does anyone want to make a VN about something else?

...and yes Paladin, if you would like to help me write a visual novel that would be most appreciated help.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

I would hate to see your hard work go to waste, so I suppose we need to have a sort of back-and-forth session, to decide basic design concepts, plot, setting, and other elements. Feel free to PM me if you like. In the mean time, I'll be trying to come up with various ideas of my own, and perhaps do some research, for good measure.
[11:00:14 PM] GIR: no i mean i figured one of you is using that as your IRC nickname
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

And everything was well. :wink: I edited the topic name because it sent out the wrong idea, but I wish you good luck on your future endeavors.
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

LightYagami

Re: Inspired to make a VN

Post by LightYagami »

Looks like I have three writers on board now. Anyone, else who is also interested PM and I will send you my contact information.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Also, we need a FB group, or other collaborative meeting place, where we can have a faster exchange of ideas. Trying to relay information will become tiresome as this project gathers additional members.
Baka Mangaka

Post by Baka Mangaka »

Paladin wrote:Also, we need a FB group, or other collaborative meeting place, where we can have a faster exchange of ideas. Trying to relay information will become tiresome as this project gathers additional members.
we could make a Forummotion forum.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

LightYamagi is already working on getting us set up with a group discussion format.
Baka Mangaka

Post by Baka Mangaka »

Paladin wrote:LightYamagi is already working on getting us set up with a group discussion format.
Ah, alright then
LightYagami

Post by LightYagami »

I'm almost done with the game website. I am literally still working on it as we speak. Here is the link incase you're all curious.
http://games.c0var1ant.com

The website will have forums, instant chat, file sharing, etc... we can all collaborate and coordinate our efforts there.

FYI:
*I go by either LightYagami or c0var1ant.

*We now have 1 programmer, 5 writers, 1 sound engineer, and 1 potential animator at the moment.
imperial.standard

Post by imperial.standard »

Hey - just wanna drop by and say congrats for taking off and bringing your project to the next level! If you have a dev forum or IRC, probably I'll come by and say hi as well. Good luck and best to you and your team!

A fellow VN dev.

"With words like these, we DON'T CURE patients, we make them INCURABLE"

Saint Peter Canisius, S.J., on polemical attacks against John Calvin & Melanchton