Inspired to make a VN

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

LightYagami

Re: Inspired to make a VN

Post by LightYagami »

imperial.standard wrote:Hey - just wanna drop by and say congrats for taking off and bringing your project to the next level! If you have a dev forum or IRC, probably I'll come by and say hi as well. Good luck and best to you and your team!

A fellow VN dev.
Feel free to drop in the chat. That's where we hang out.
http://games.c0var1ant.com/home/?page_id=9
DRAKEN GARD36

Post by DRAKEN GARD36 »

I would be happy to test the story after the initial design and things are done and ready for a good copy, that said I am not an artist, musician, or adept writer I could be as stated a beta tester sort of person. thank you for taking the time to read this and accept my skype request if you want me to test if for you
WhiteDex

Post by WhiteDex »

Artists are still welcome! We have new dev forum http://games.c0var1ant.com/dev/forums/
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

Update: Our forum has moved to the following location:

http://www.squarepulsestudios.com/forum/

Yes, we're still looking for artists, so feel free to drop us a line.

-T. C. Paladin
[10:59:46 PM] GIR: so who's the soapdropper?
[11:00:00 PM] T. C. Paladin: BWAHAHAHA!!!!! ROFL!
[11:00:14 PM] GIR: no i mean i figured one of you is using that as your IRC nickname
[11:00:19 PM] T. C. Paladin: i have no clue, but that is hilarious
[11:02:25 PM]T. C. Paladin: lol wow. i'm going to have to use that one someday
yummines

Post by yummines »

While i say good luck with making a visual novel, make sure you do not breach the Intellectual Commons that Katawa Shoujo has.

namely, you cannot use the same setting, characters, music, etc.

so a sequel or prequel is out of the question.
making a game with the same premise (meeting and making relationships with girls that have disabilities) shouldn't breach this. however you cannot say that the girl is Hisao's second cousin or that they attend Yamaku high school.

with that said, good luck. i would try to join or whatever but im pretty busy with school right now. maybe in like a few months, if you're still looking for help.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

yummines wrote:While i say good luck with making a visual novel, make sure you do not breach the Intellectual Commons that Katawa Shoujo has.

with that said, good luck. i would try to join or whatever but im pretty busy with school right now. maybe in like a few months, if you're still looking for help.
We've already worked out a plot idea that has no relation to KS in anyway. We may give a few metaphorical nods here and there, but that's it.
[11:00:14 PM] GIR: no i mean i figured one of you is using that as your IRC nickname
Akros

Post by Akros »

Paladin wrote:
yummines wrote:While i say good luck with making a visual novel, make sure you do not breach the Intellectual Commons that Katawa Shoujo has.

We've already worked out a plot idea that has no relation to KS in anyway. We may give a few metaphorical nods here and there, but that's it.
good luck with that ! :D
if you need help with something that's not art-related feel free to ask anytime, I might be able to lend you a hand, even with the coding or something, I'm used to C and java from my classes, but if needed I could get myself involved with C# or any other language :mrgreen:
Couch to 5k with Emi progress: Done!!!
W1D123 W2D123 W3D123 W4D123 W5D123
W6D123 W7D123 W8D123 W9D123
100 push-up challenge : In progress -> W3D12 Last time: 10/12/8/8/14 :P
turbulentDuvet

Post by turbulentDuvet »

Hey there, as seems to be a recurring theme, KS has inspired me to look for a creative outlet. If you are looking for a technical writer, or an other writer in general I would gladly lend my talents, I have a little experience with some very rudimentary C++ programming, artwork and music / voice sampling and audio mastering if needed too.

Look forward to hearing from you,

TD
People are like chemicals, they only need to come together once and they can change eachother forever.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

turbulentDuvet, what do you feel is your strongest talent: writing, or artwork? Also, if you're truly interested in helping out, go ahead and sign up on our forum. We'll run you through a few tests, and see where you'd be of most use.

Best Regards,

T. C. Paladin
turbulentDuvet

Post by turbulentDuvet »

I would definitely put writing at the fore of my skills, I can produce passable art, but it takes a lot of time, and pales in comparison to more experienced artists, although If you want to borrow the idea of "posterised" photos for backgrounds which KS used very well I could definitely help there.

Whilst I'm not as good as writing emotively (although I can ), I consider myself very good at establishing scenes and details without going into "purple prose" and would also gladly lend a hand if any of the writers would like a proof-reader / ideas-man.

I tried signing up on the chatroom last night but it didn't like my e-mails :s
People are like chemicals, they only need to come together once and they can change eachother forever.
Paladin

Post by Paladin »

turbulentDuvet wrote:I would definitely put writing at the fore of my skills, I can produce passable art, but it takes a lot of time, and pales in comparison to more experienced artists, although If you want to borrow the idea of "posterised" photos for backgrounds which KS used very well I could definitely help there.
Hmmm...well, honestly, we need artists more than writers. However, having some to "rough in" scenes, writing-wise, may be useful.
turbulentDuvet wrote:I tried signing up on the chatroom last night but it didn't like my e-mails :s
The forum rejected your email? That's certainly an oddity. PM me, and we'll see if we can't sort this out...
Kulthozuer

Post by Kulthozuer »

Wow this thread is old, I don't have any skills that would even slightly be of use to you guys the most I do is write RP's a lot but I wouldn't even consider myself a halfway decent writer. I just want to wish you guys good luck on your future endeavors I hope your game turns out great like Katawa Shoujo did, it really is a remarkable story of how that game came together and I hope it inspires more people to be open to that sort of thing in the future.

Good luck!
gekiganwing

Post by gekiganwing »

Not sure if you know this, Kulthozuer, but an awful lot of fan projects never get past the planning stages, and others end up unfinished (for instance, a small demo is released, and nothing more). It happens with webcomics, it happens with blogs, it happens with fanfiction, and it happens with all kinds of freeware games. To be more specific, there are dozens if not hundreds of threads on Lemma Soft which start out strong, and stop updating after something goes wrong:

* Important files get lost in a computer crash
* The creator has too many real-life commitments
* Health issues, job issues, relationship issues...
* Boredom sets in
* The idea ends up sounding too much like some well-known thing in popular culture
* The creator gets frustrated with writing, coding, or art difficulties

I say this admitting that I've pretty much RAGEQUITTED on most of my ideas, and they end up half-finished at best.
Kulthozuer

Post by Kulthozuer »

Yes I do realize this I have seen this happy many time amoung friends with similar things such as film however this game is proof that some times projects like this can succeed. I believe that this current project upon further research has fizzled however, quite a shame.
CommnderShepard

Post by CommnderShepard »

I wouldn't say our project has fizzled, but we have hit a snag or two. You see the problem isn't the idea or coding or any of the technical things, it's time, and right now some of us have more important things to do. I for one have school and what not. So development hasn't ceased, just slowed.
Find me on steam.