Piano Covers of Katawa Shoujo's Music

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

StepmaniaFreak

Piano Covers of Katawa Shoujo's Music

Post by StepmaniaFreak »

I thought I might as well leave links to all the piano covers I'll be doing of Katawa Shoujo's music on the official forums. Since this is my first post,though, I figured I could write a little bit about myself beforehand. I'm currently 19 years old and have been playing piano as a hobby for around three years now. I found the sheet music on a separate forum thread on here and am forever grateful for it. After playing Katawa Shoujo, there was no denying I had to learn as many songs as I could from this amazing game. It's slow going; My ability to read sheet music is pretty limited, but I have no doubts that given enough time I'll learn at least my personal favorites. :wink:

I'll be posting YouTube links to each song as well as a direct link to the mp3 in case you can't get to YouTube where you are or to download the file. I'm sure that maybe one person would want them but I'm doing it anyway. :lol:
Edit6: I added download links to MIDI recordings I've made (since people requested them). Unfortunately I'm using very rudimentary software so the hands are not separated and I don't think it's possible for me to change it.

So far I only have videos recorded of two songs I've played: Friendship and Innocence. Friendship I think took me a little too long to learn. It sounds pretty simple but it wasn't as easy as I thought it would be. All in all it took me around a week from start to finish. Having only the sheet music to go on didn't help. It sounds a lot like Canon in D so of course I liked it.

Friendship (YouTube)
mp3 (Direct Link)
MIDI (Direct Link)
Synthesia Video Tutorial (YouTube)

The next song I learned was Innocence. All in all this song is one of my favorites from the game. Every time I play this I can remember some moments in the game when it played and how I felt when it did. It took way too many attempts to get this recorded without screwing up severely. I didn't play it exactly as the sheets and made one minor mistake (If you could call it that) near the end, but all in all I'm quite happy with out it turned out.

Innocence (YouTube)
mp3 (Direct Link)
MIDI (Direct Link)

Edit1: Here is my performance of the background music in Lilly's Act 2 cinematic. Special thanks to Byob311for his transcription.

Lilly's Cinematic BGM (YouTube)
mp3 (Direct Link)

Edit2: I finally got around to recording a performance of Wiosna. The audio quality should be better in the YouTube link; I seem to have left the audio bit-rate at half of what it should have been on my previous uploads. That only applies to the YouTube uploads, though, since the mp3s I've been linking here are the original audio from my piano. :)

Wiosna (YouTube)
mp3 (Direct Link)

Edit3: Ok, a little early but it's not bad. Here's a performance of the background music in Hanako's cinematic.

Hanako's Act 2 BGM (YouTube)
mp3 (Direct Link)

Edit4: Here is Shizune's Act 2 cinematic BGM

Three Stars (YouTube)
mp3 (Direct Link)
MIDI (Direct Link)

Edit5: Finally recorded a performance of Letting My Heart Speak (I knew how to play it before I learned Three Stars, I just sucked hardcore).

Letting My Heart Speak (YouTube)
mp3 (Direct Link)

Edit7: I just recorded Cloudland Swing - The background music in Rin's cinematic.
Cloudland Swing (YouTube)
mp3 (Direct Link)

Edit8: Here is a recording of Breathlessly. It's quite a simple piece that I learned in no time at all.
Breathlessly (YouTube)
mp3 (Direct Link)
MIDI (Direct Link)

Edit9: I'm getting close to double digit edits lol...Here is a cover of Painful History, due to popular demand:
Painful History (YouTube)
mp3 (Direct Link)

I'll be updating this post with new links as I learn the songs. My current tasks include forgetting to learn Concord (Which is too hard for me at the moment) and learning the last two cinematic BGMs (Cloudland swing and 2 x 400m Relay). I'll also be learning Moment of Decision once TehIshter's decides to finish his sheets for it. Until then, enjoy!
Last edited by StepmaniaFreak on Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:11 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Re: Piano Covers of Katawa Shoujo's Music

Post by Guest »

"Friendship" or as I like to call it "Everyone needs a Canon cover."
Hitman3256

Post by Hitman3256 »

Very well done!!

Ugh....I wish I didnt drop piano a few years ago -.-
I envy you! Would love to see other covers :D
StepmaniaFreak

Post by StepmaniaFreak »

Thanks! I actually took lessons when I was younger but I quit since I didn't care about them at the time. I also wholeheartedly regret that decision. I recently started taking lessons again to learn to read sheets; if I hadn't done that, I would never have learned these!

In other news, I literally just saw that Byob311 transcribed Lilly's Act 2 BGM (From the cinematic). You can check it out here. I don't remember where the sheet music thread is but it should definitely be added if it's not already there. :D

Edit: I've learned the background music from Lilly's Act 2 cinematic and posted a performance of Wiosna. Check the OP for the links. Enjoy!

Another Edit: Just posted a performance of the background music in Hanako's cinematic. I'm still working on it but decided to record it anyway.
johiyo

Post by johiyo »

Subbed. This thread and your u2b.
zettovyker

Post by zettovyker »

Mmm, thoroughly enjoyable friend. I look forward to your future endeavors!
That awesome moment when you stay true to yourself and people are okay with you.
joe_paradise

Post by joe_paradise »

Keep up the good work, especially with learning to read music. Props for deciding to learn how to properly read music and not just learning the songs by rote and memorizing them.

Saw your comment on romance in andante, went to the piano to try it out. For the one in measure 8, 25432142 is pretty comfortable and leaves 13 for the chord. In measure 10, 15432132 then 15 for the chord, and in measure 27, just 15432124 then 13 for the chord again. This feels the most comfortable to me, so give it a try.
Katawa Shoujo Soundtrack on Piano (in progress) - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL33FDE833D68CB9E5
StepmaniaFreak

Post by StepmaniaFreak »

It's been a while since I uploaded something. I've updated the OP with a performance of Three Stars, the background music in Shizune's Act 2 cinematic. I'll be working on recording Letting my Heart speak next.

Edit: I just posted Letting My Heart Speak. Check it out here:
http://youtu.be/mfx3J4WQUkg
V_nce

Post by V_nce »

You are so freakingishly good i cant help but being pissed at myself for not knowing how to play the piano. 'Couple of misplaced notes on X and Y songs, but they're still only minimal issues while traveling through all the soothing atmosphere these songs put up for the listeners alone.

At least you've made someone smile after a bad day, thanks a lot bud.
StepmaniaFreak

Post by StepmaniaFreak »

I updated the OP with download links to MIDI recordings I've made. As for updates, I'm getting close to learning the last two cinematic background themes (Rin's and Emi's). Expect those within the next week or so. :wink:
BobBobberson

Post by BobBobberson »

Bookmarked for future reference. Btw, how are you getting the sheet music? Do you find it somewhere, or you transcribe it yourself?
StepmaniaFreak

Post by StepmaniaFreak »

A lot of the sheet music for most of the OST can be found in the Piano Sheet Music thread in the main public forum. Someone made a post a while back that compiled a lot of the sheets and performances into one post. You can find it here:

http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=13&t ... 345#p85134

Edit: Just updated the OP with a new song. :)
VenomSymbiote

Post by VenomSymbiote »

I am all about piano covers! And KS's music is perfect for this kind of thing. I applaud you for taking it upon yourself to make some covers- we need more interpretations of the music.

I'll take a listen to all of your current covers, and I'll post my thoughts on 'em later :)

EDIT: So I got around to listening to them- man, you did a wonderful job! Your efforts really shine through in the track "Innocence." It sounds great! I am definitely looking forward to more! Might I ask for a cover of "The School Council" ? That's my favorite track!
Last edited by VenomSymbiote on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
KSFan48

Post by KSFan48 »

That was amazing. My favorite one was the hanako act 2 cinematic cover. IT was so epic!
Josh_Mac

Post by Josh_Mac »

Wonderful job! I'm envious of your talent!