Katawa Shoujo fangame via Knytt Stories

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

DecoBleu

Katawa Shoujo fangame via Knytt Stories

Post by DecoBleu »

SIne seeing the comments on [shimmie=1681]this Shimmie picture[/shimmie] I've been planning to make a short fangame of Katawa Shoujo using Knytt Stories. It would star Hanako, and use this mod since the original game doesn't allow for custom character graphics. I made a spritesheet for her that works pretty well, and I'll probably use music from the game, but I need backgrounds and tilesets for Yamaku, and I don't really know what to do for the story (well, as much of one as there would be). Optimally there would also be drawings for the opening, ending, and any "cutscenes" there might be, but it's not really necessary. Would anyone be willing to help me with this, or even interested in seeing it completed? I'd also like to hear any ideas people might have for content.
traitor

Re: Katawa Shoujo fangame via Knytt Stories

Post by traitor »

I've never played Knytt Stories, but this sounds like a very ambitious project. I'd play it, definitely. And with KS being released this year (I stopped typing for 5 minutes over the unbelievability of that statement) your game will end up getting lots of traffic so push on and don't give up!

For tilesets you want to make sure that background colors and floor tiles are on opposite colors of the spectrum: blue vs orange, yellow vs red etc. Yanmaku can probably be composed of clean white blocks complimented by dark blue-grayish background. In fact, you might want to not do Yanmaku at all, and just have her explore fantasy book worlds since that's what she does all day, you'd have an easier time with tile and backgrounds option this way.

Use crayon for cutscenes because they are kawaii desu and could damage the heart of many noble white knights.

Best of luck!
DecoBleu

Post by DecoBleu »

traitor wrote:I've never played Knytt Stories, but this sounds like a very ambitious project. I'd play it, definitely. And with KS being released this year (I stopped typing for 5 minutes over the unbelievability of that statement) your game will end up getting lots of traffic so push on and don't give up!

For tilesets you want to make sure that background colors and floor tiles are on opposite colors of the spectrum: blue vs orange, yellow vs red etc. Yanmaku can probably be composed of clean white blocks complimented by dark blue-grayish background. In fact, you might want to not do Yanmaku at all, and just have her explore fantasy book worlds since that's what she does all day, you'd have an easier time with tile and backgrounds option this way.

Use crayon for cutscenes because they are kawaii desu and could damage the heart of many noble white knights.

Best of luck!
Um... My problem was mostly that I don't actually know how to do backgrounds and whatnot and was hoping someone could do them for me... (How embarrassing...) However, the idea to have her explore book worlds is great, and I'll probably do that instead. It would likely make for a more interesting game as well. Thanks!
deadering

Post by deadering »

I like most of traitor's ideas. I for one loved Kyntt Stories and would like to see your mod come to fruition. If I find some time on my hands I can take a stab at helping with some of the art~ Good luck to you.
Yonowaaru

Post by Yonowaaru »

Installing new backgrounds and tilesets should be pretty easy to find on Nifflas' Support Forums. If that doesn't work out, you can PM me if you want. I know quite a bit about the editor and such stuff.
traitor

Post by traitor »

DecoBleu wrote:Um... My problem was mostly that I don't actually know how to do backgrounds and whatnot and was hoping someone could do them for me... (How embarrassing...) However, the idea to have her explore book worlds is great, and I'll probably do that instead. It would likely make for a more interesting game as well. Thanks!
I think the best way to recruit other people to help you is to prove that you've already had the entire game figured out and will definitely release it. Post some progress or demos on youtube showing what's needed but still missing from the game.

It'll be hard to collaborate on pieces that aren't clearly defined, and you probably want to explore more settings before having a set design.

Here's Background HQ, it provides complete backgrounds or tilesets from 3d and sprite-based games.
http://bghq.com/