KS: The Fighting Game

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Meower

Re: KS: The Fighting Game

Post by Meower »

Last edited by Meower on Thu May 26, 2016 8:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Halkure

Post by Halkure »

Meower wrote:I'll be completely honest, I really dig your style. It's rather unique, if I had to describe it, it's like watching action figures come to life. Somehow I think that's the impression they give to me. I think the frames are all splendorous as they are right now, I think that the beta could use like at least a quarter of the frames, just so that it could have some references for hurtboxes and hitboxes without putting too much work on your shoulders for such a short time.
Thanks, but the real genius behind this style is Sugeno, who single-handedly developed Vanguard Princess. If I have any influence on the style, it's just in the clothing and folds so far. He set up the proportions and lighting, and his animations are on an entirely different tier of fluidity, with 300-500 frames per character. It'll be hard to compete with, but I am looking forward to the day I can go back to add frames and refine everything once it's balanced.
ILiekCorn

Post by ILiekCorn »

Sajomir wrote:Hal's a noob and forgot our most recent cool thing. These aren't finished yet, but these are the product of work from all of our artists combined.

What you have so far is looking pretty good XD

I bow to you, sir.
BadMrFrostii

Post by BadMrFrostii »

This sounds REALLY awesome!
Although I haven't sat down and read through every page of this thread, I read the original post and this seems like it will be awesome!
I'm a huge fan of fighting games, and am looking very much forward to seeing this!

Also, I apologize in advanced if this has been answered already throughout the thread, but what sort of art style will it have?
I would imagine a Skullgirls-esque style given the anime styled characters?

Regardless, good luck with everything! :)
Gouken: "We are like cherry blossoms, Ryu, meant to bloom gloriously, but only for a short time until our season has passed."
Akuma: "But for the weak, that season passes much sooner. For the weak, there is no glory!"
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

After thinking it over I decided I want to make fighting game but in a slightly different. Way. To save time on drawing the frames, I think it's best to go 3D, with jmonkeyengine and some lowpoly cel shaded models (to keep the requitements low, so even old PC's can play it). I'll start a different thread when I have something to show for this idea. I'm still willing to help out a bit with additional coding for this project if needed.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Halkure

Post by Halkure »

BadMrFrostii wrote: Also, I apologize in advanced if this has been answered already throughout the thread, but what sort of art style will it have?
That would be one page behind you.
zettovyker

Post by zettovyker »

I wonder if this has been posted here, or even if this forum is where it originated from, but a friend threw this to me and I had to share it.

That awesome moment when you stay true to yourself and people are okay with you.
Baka Mangaka

Post by Baka Mangaka »

zettovyker wrote:I wonder if this has been posted here, or even if this forum is where it originated from, but a friend threw this to me and I had to share it.

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lznqp ... o1_500.jpg
EMI
WHAT DID YOU DO!?
Meower

Post by Meower »

ILiekCorn

Post by ILiekCorn »

Beoran wrote:After thinking it over I decided I want to make fighting game but in a slightly different. Way. To save time on drawing the frames, I think it's best to go 3D, with jmonkeyengine and some lowpoly cel shaded models (to keep the requitements low, so even old PC's can play it). I'll start a different thread when I have something to show for this idea. I'm still willing to help out a bit with additional coding for this project if needed.
I can understand where you're coming from. 2D animation, (especially with pixel sprites) can be very long and arduous, and it's tempting to want to resort to 3D.

Alternatively, if you want to cut down on your drawing time without resorting to 3D, make layered 2D sprites, by which I mean draw a single frame of the character's body parts (head, body, arms, etc) in separate layers, and animate them moving up and down at varying speeds. This is used in most Flash games you'll find, but it has also been used in more professional looking fighters like Vanguard Princess (albeit mainly in the character's "idle" poses).
^_^

On the subject of 3D I once tried a method where I made a cel shaded 3D model of one of my anime characters, animated it and then converted it into a series of 2D frames (like the original Mortal Kombat games) and put that into a 2D fighter engine. Color-wise it looked good, but the animations looked very stiff in contrast to the classic 2D characters, so it was quickly discarded. I know this isn't what you had in mind when you said "go 3D" but I'm just throwing it out there.
KatawaMotorsport

Post by KatawaMotorsport »

I believe what the developers of Blazblue did, was that they captured 3D model frames first, posing step by step, then redrawing over the sprites to maintain a consistent art style. This could help ease the life of animating the characters.
ObliviousKnowledge

Post by ObliviousKnowledge »

Beoran wrote:After thinking it over I decided I want to make fighting game but in a slightly different. Way. To save time on drawing the frames, I think it's best to go 3D, with jmonkeyengine and some lowpoly cel shaded models (to keep the requitements low, so even old PC's can play it). I'll start a different thread when I have something to show for this idea. I'm still willing to help out a bit with additional coding for this project if needed.
That would be interesting to see. I will be keeping an eye on the project to try it out when you get something done.

As far as helping us out, I will let you know if something comes up.
SomeGuyPassingBy

Post by SomeGuyPassingBy »

Not too sure if 3d's the best option. Maybe 2d chibi styles with about 3 heads tall proportions would be better in appeal than a realistic style.

Also this might help a bit with spriting:
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php? ... id=4533218
or here (NSFW)
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/563 ... ouhou-tran
Beoran

Post by Beoran »

Meaower,

Actually, I agree that to me 2D art is always most beautiful. But for this idea, I'm more concerned with making a fun game than with gbeautiful graphics. And I like retro looks, so I do want to make this a retro 3D game, though not Tekken. The basic art esthetic I want should be like another fighting game I liked a lot in the day: Rival Schools, (http://silentdivergence.blogspot.com/20 ... ed-by-fate).html Rival Schools 2: (http://www.ign.com/images/games/project ... 319/199309). Did you notice, one of those girls has drills too. :) I'm aiming somewhere in between those two aestetics. The current model I'm working on has more polys than Rival Schools, and probably a bit less than those of Rival Schools 2 models. Even the theme matches with KS, so that's the spirit I'm thinking of.

Some Guy passing by, I'm thinking of a somewhat anime-ish style, withe the face and eyes exaggerated.

I like corn, thanks for the hints, but I remebered Rival Schools now, so I want to go the retro 3D way. I really enjoyed that game, it was probably the fighting game I enjoyed the best in those times, so I'd be happy if I was abele to make a KS themed game that "rivals" that game.
Kind Regards, B.
Feeling like your heart is broken? Need to get it off your chest? Tell your story here.
Take a look at Eruta my jRPG under development. New web site since december 2012.
Play Ature, my free and open source indie Atari 2600 action adventure game.
All great love is above pity: for it wants - to create what is loved! -- F. Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra.
Meower

Post by Meower »