Page 14 of 16

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:30 pm
by DannyL7773
Yeah I do play Minecraft, InDev's good. Too bad I lag on InfDev or Huge InDev though >.<. How could you tell? (Unless you've seen me around the forums) Edit: Nevermind, just looked through the video again. Didn't realize I'd filmed my folders list too.

As for fighting. With Shizune I always pictured a special technique. She does some sign language, their meaning popping up as big words one after the other as she does the signs. Then Misha jumps on screen. "WAHAHAHAHA". Opponent takes damage, Misha jumps offscreen.

For Rin, inspiration could be taken from Sanji from One Piece, since his way of fighting is leg-based too because "A cook's life are his hands" and he doesn't want them to get damaged.

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:00 pm
by neumanproductions
DannyL7773 wrote: For Rin, inspiration could be taken from Sanji from One Piece, since his way of fighting is leg-based too because "A cook's life are his hands" and he doesn't want them to get damaged.
Still, Sanji uses his hands in many of his attacks. Just not with direct contact to the enemy. Rin doesn't have something to stabalize her movements with and I don't see her stature being as nimble and smooth as Sanji's in combate.

Here I am being stupid and nitpicky again. As long as this thing gets made I will be happier than a school girl. :mrgreen:

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 4:16 pm
by Ricardo Nation
Here's a good question: What would decrease the overall work level of the project? I've seen it suggested that Rin throw paint splatters everywhere instead of kicking wildly at things, and I have to wonder which would create a bigger burden on someone drawing sprites. Perhaps angles on gameplay should be lensed through not just what would be interesting, but what could be more easily realized.

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 5:08 pm
by DannyL7773
I have to ask, I've offered to help out and I've seen some people talking about spriting and coding, but do we have an actual team here? With a project leader that can keep everyone on track?

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Mon May 10, 2010 6:42 pm
by Halkure
DannyL7773 wrote:I have to ask, I've offered to help out and I've seen some people talking about spriting and coding, but do we have an actual team here? With a project leader that can keep everyone on track?
Dunno. Snicket and I have put this on hiatus for exams. In a few weeks I'll be free to sprite. I'm not the leading type by default, and I don't think I have enough expertise in fighters to make this the exception.
Ricardo Nation wrote:Here's a good question: What would decrease the overall work level of the project? I've seen it suggested that Rin throw paint splatters everywhere instead of kicking wildly at things, and I have to wonder which would create a bigger burden on someone drawing sprites. Perhaps angles on gameplay should be lensed through not just what would be interesting, but what could be more easily realized.
Heh. I could see Rin playing as a V-13, since you mention that.

I was considering ways to streamline the spriting process back when I began the standing poses. Unfortunately I've completely forgotten what I came up with. I wonder if anyone would want to try their hand at cleaning though? I'm very meticulous about pixels. I get slowed down. If somebody else could clean/fine-line for me while I rough out the animations I think it would speed up the process enormously. Then I'll probably handle some quality control to make sure the animation is seamless as possible. And while I'm at QC, I may as well as for as many cleaners as can volunteer.

Basically turning x into y
cleanex.png
y < x
cleanex.png (7.09 KiB) Viewed 5054 times
Except the roughs would be less messy and broken up, and detailed. This is is a kinda rushed example.

Is this plausible?

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 3:57 pm
by DannyL7773
I guess since things are starting to get moving, we'd need to make a new thread, first post containing info and stuff about progress (Only saying this since fishmonkey hasn't been around since August 31st, he/she can't update first post here >.<)
Another step would probably be to pull a proper team together along with a proper leader, one who can whip the team into shape if need be. 'spose an application form would be in order.

Team Sign Up
Name (Username, or what you want us to call you):
Position (Spriter (Characters, Stages, Screenpack, Intros/Endings (If we have them), Cleaner(Halkure's request)) Coder (Character, Screenpack, Stages), Beta Testers), Sound Artist:
Example of work (If possible to show):

Image

Cleaned up the Emi in one of your previous posts, Halkure. Can't do the missing arm because I suck at redrawing stuff XD

Currently looking into sprite sizes and stuff. HD sprites are scaled down to the same physical size as none HD chars, so I'm looking into how that works. Gonna ask around my friends if they know.

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:25 pm
by Snicket
Sorry for not posting for a while. Life has been busy, with finals and all. Though in another couple of weeks, i'll be able to assists everyone again. When ever it is that they need help it.
DannyL7773 wrote: By special bar do you mean the blue power bar under your health? The one that goes up with attacks and then is consumed when using your special abilities?
hm strange, i must have been using an altered version of Mugan when i tried this. Since the special meter was at the bottom of screen right under the player's heath and name.

Edit: Now that i think about it, i was using the 'street fighter' skin with it.

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:58 pm
by DannyL7773
Figured as much, scaling is done in the characters .cns. An example of what it does (Goku ripped from DBZ Budokai it seems). Goku's scale there is .5 while KFM's is 1 (In-game screenshot)
http://i39.tinypic.com/fygw08.png

And yeah Snicket, that'll have been a screenpack you'll have downloaded along with the actual engine, some people pack the screenpack with the engine, instead of having them separate.

Default lifebar and power look like this
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/8892/mugen3wf8.jpg

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 7:44 pm
by Halkure
DannyL7773 wrote:I guess since things are starting to get moving, we'd need to make a new thread, first post containing info and stuff about progress (Only saying this since fishmonkey hasn't been around since August 31st, he/she can't update first post here >.<)
Another step would probably be to pull a proper team together along with a proper leader, one who can whip the team into shape if need be. 'spose an application form would be in order.

Cleaned up the Emi in one of your previous posts, Halkure. Can't do the missing arm because I suck at redrawing stuff XD
Very nice! That is what I'm looking for!

A new thread also sounds good. Are you interested in being project leader?
Sajomir wrote:Right... so out of the blue I started thinking about this thread at work today. Came up with potential play styles for the girls, as well as brainstormed a kick-themed moveset for Rin, which I might just attempt to scribble some frames for. Halkure's set of sketches has inspired me.
Really liked the ideas you have here. Lilly and Hanako are especially clever. I'd like to see what kicks you dig up for Rin too.

Definitely Misha specials, but I'm not sure how Shizune will play. I'm not a big fan of puppets, and a tag-team might be a lot of work to sprite. Was there speculation of grabs at some point? I think she's better suited to controlling the opponent / having an aggressive style.

Had to look up E. Honda. Torpedo headbutt: yes. :D

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:12 pm
by Csihar
Halkure wrote:Definitely Misha specials, but I'm not sure how Shizune will play. I'm not a big fan of puppets, and a tag-team might be a lot of work to sprite. Was there speculation of grabs at some point? I think she's better suited to controlling the opponent / having an aggressive style.
Two words: Zangief Shizune. :shock:

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 8:52 pm
by DannyL7773
Right, PMed Suriko regarding creating a second topic since it was stated in the rules about sticking to one topic. I've explained the situation and placed a request to get a confirmation on the allowance of a new thread.
I'd be interested in taking up the role as project leader, although, I'd rather gather a team and let them take a vote on who should take that role. It's an important thing.

Hmmm. Another thing to think about, is the fact we'd need stages too.

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 10:06 pm
by Warwick
Csihar wrote:
Halkure wrote:Definitely Misha specials, but I'm not sure how Shizune will play. I'm not a big fan of puppets, and a tag-team might be a lot of work to sprite. Was there speculation of grabs at some point? I think she's better suited to controlling the opponent / having an aggressive style.
Two words: Zangief Shizune. :shock:
Nah that should be Misha. She'll be like Luvia in Fate/Unlimited Codes.

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:00 pm
by Ricardo Nation
Regarding managing the project, it should be centered around whoever has the most keystone role. I have some experience managing and leading projects, although my background is entirely in designing documentation. Suriko and Halkure are certainly in the best position for designing a project plan, as Suriko is coding and Halkure is doing the keyframes of the animation. Also, as far as organization goes, if people are serious about pursuing this, it's going to need more than a single thread. I'd recommend an entirely new message board - a private one - and preserving this thread purely for recruitment and sharing mile markers with the wider community.

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Tue May 11, 2010 11:14 pm
by Goldilurks in a hurry
Are we still considering Muay Thai/Muay Boran for Rin? If you needed inspiration for a female Thai boxer, well, I just found this vid.

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Posted: Wed May 12, 2010 12:34 am
by Halkure
Goldilurks in a hurry wrote:Are we still considering Muay Thai/Muay Boran for Rin? If you needed inspiration for a female Thai boxer, well, I just found this vid.
Hmm, I don't know about this one. A lot of her kicks leave her on the ground, for one thing. A lot of the things she does would be a little difficult for somebody without arms. I looked at Tony Jaa again and I still think we can take a few moves from Muay Thai/Boran, but mostly as finishing moves in combo strings. Throwing your weight into falcon knees doesn't leave you a lot of room for any follow-ups or juggling that I can imagine. Also, Tony had some potential leg grapples. (3:05)
Ricardo Nation wrote:Regarding managing the project, it should be centered around whoever has the most keystone role. I have some experience managing and leading projects, although my background is entirely in designing documentation. Suriko* and Halkure are certainly in the best position for designing a project plan, as Suriko is coding and Halkure is doing the keyframes of the animation. Also, as far as organization goes, if people are serious about pursuing this, it's going to need more than a single thread. I'd recommend an entirely new message board - a private one - and preserving this thread purely for recruitment and sharing mile markers with the wider community.
*Did you mean Danny?

Hm. You're probably right about the board. I hadn't thought about how large a team we'd need. Or how they'd communicate `-`