Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

neumanproductions

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Post by neumanproductions »

Sgt_Frog wrote:I keep coming back to this thread, and I keep thinking "What would they be like in a Super Smash Brothers-like game?" since SSBM and SSBB are the only fighting games I've ever played for any significant length of time...
Oh God, Final Smashes! That would be amazing.
Would the real Zero Suit please stand up? :wink:
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Sgt_Frog

Post by Sgt_Frog »

neumanproductions wrote:
Sgt_Frog wrote:I keep coming back to this thread, and I keep thinking "What would they be like in a Super Smash Brothers-like game?" since SSBM and SSBB are the only fighting games I've ever played for any significant length of time...
Oh God, Final Smashes! That would be amazing.
Would the real Zero Suit please stand up? :wink:
One of the main problems I have with comparing KS to a Super Smash Brothers game is that...Rin can't ledge-grab, which is a vital part of the game. Although it would be interesting to see what Final Smashes the girls would have.
kosherbacon

Post by kosherbacon »

Sgt_Frog wrote: Rin can't ledge-grab,
She got teeth, don't she?
neumanproductions

Post by neumanproductions »

kosherbacon wrote:
Sgt_Frog wrote: Rin can't ledge-grab,
Awwww, I wanted to say that :lol:
Someone who can draw, get on this!
Rin=Hanako>Emi>Misha>Lilly>Shizune (Misha counts in my world alright; and now she surpassed Lilly)
Fanfic series entitled... A Day in the Life of [character name here] (updated 6/8/10)
Random writings and Crossover... New stuff of Neuman (updated 5/6/11)
It's time to Duel... KS Yugioh Deck (updated 3/16/11)
Halkure

Post by Halkure »

neumanproductions wrote:
kosherbacon wrote:
Sgt_Frog wrote: Rin can't ledge-grab. Although it would be interesting to see what Final Smashes the girls would have.
Awwww, I wanted to say that :lol:
Someone who can draw, get on this!
Here's a shot at both of those. :d
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t ... 268#p36268

I guess it wouldn't be impossible to do SSBB style in 2D.. but I'd rather stick to the arcade format.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Actually someone made a SSB game in 2d, using sprites. I was actually going to ask the person who made the game engine if we could use it for this, but never got around to it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/333995

Edit: they also made a SSBB version, but hasn't finished it yet.

http://www.mcleodgaming.com/games.php
Halkure

Post by Halkure »

Impressive! I poked around in the SSBM flash. Movement was pretty floaty, haha. Fun, but the game seemed pretty limited in control and attacks. I'll try the Brawl version later.
Ricardo Nation

Post by Ricardo Nation »

Halkure wrote:Eh.. I was bored last night and decided to do some standing poses based on that other game's character sheet posted a few pages back. Just silhouettes, open to changes that would suit the characters better.

Development seemed kinda fragmented as I looked over the thread but if there aren't any of the basic standing/jumping etc sprites yet I may just continue working on them, although I'm about to be busy with finals. I'm not planning on jumping into the tedious sprite cleaning until I've roughed out the animations.
standing.png
Lines on either side are their heights. Tried to be relatively accurate to their measurements.
Hanako needs work. May have to stick with Emi's leg blades after all, she can't be agile like this (at least realistically). Rin feels stiff. Probably can fix it by shifting her balance to one leg instead of being even.
Nice sketches.

I don't think there is development yet, but I could be wrong. Don't start spriting unless you know for sure this is going ahead with Mugen, as you need whatever work you do to fit into the native res of the engine. I think you and Snicket are the only people with technical skill who have expressed interest in this project so far, though, so it's probably a choice that comes right down to you guys. I'd say rough up an engine, get one character very loosely roughed out, and see if even that can anywhere. A "proof-of-concept" showing this has enough traction to even get that far could attract more attention.
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

Ricardo Nation wrote: Nice sketches.

I don't think there is development yet, but I could be wrong. Don't start spriting unless you know for sure this is going ahead with Mugen, as you need whatever work you do to fit into the native res of the engine. I think you and Snicket are the only people with technical skill who have expressed interest in this project so far, though, so it's probably a choice that comes right down to you guys. I'd say rough up an engine, get one character very loosely roughed out, and see if even that can anywhere. A "proof-of-concept" showing this has enough traction to even get that far could attract more attention.
No, if you do sprites, even if nothing comes from it, you still have the sprites themselves, which are roughly 50% of the work right there. Either way, focus on finishing one entire set of sprites before moving on to any other stages, that way if a coder takes interest, they won't be left holding half a sprite set.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts
Halkure

Post by Halkure »

Captain Niggawatts wrote:
Ricardo Nation wrote: Nice sketches.

No, if you do sprites, even if nothing comes from it, you still have the sprites themselves, which are roughly 50% of the work right there. Either way, focus on finishing one entire set of sprites before moving on to any other stages, that way if a coder takes interest, they won't be left holding half a sprite set.
Both good points. I'd kinda like to work with something better and more current than Mugen (somebody mentioned compatibility issues a while back?), but it's the only platform I know of that has really strong potential at the moment. I haven't played on it in years, though, so I'll look into that res check. Regarding skills, I have to admit the only fighter I own is BlazBlue. My friends are mostly into FPS and RTS so my attempts to master a 2D fighter are usually short lived, and to that end I hope to have some support from you guys regarding move sets and character balance.. playtesting junk I guess, if this gets off the ground. Fighters is going to be something I try to tackle again during the summer.

Shizune or Emi will probably be the first set. The styles discussed for them match mine well enough so I'll have a bit of direction while creating them. Was a Taokaka player. (: Would be Emi hands down if not for the issue of prosthesis in the animation. [edit: that's actually just a small design hurdle. I suppose I'll gather the attacks discussed for her and determine the best-suited legs that way.]

And regarding styles, if anyone has examples of characters from other games with a style that matches one of our girls I'd appreciate names and youtube links or something. Hanako is a character I'll struggle with a lot since it sounds opposite of the rushdown style I usually enjoy. Also could use some more direction of the paint-throwing Rin style. I just keep thinking of Tao throwing bowling balls. Loved the Tony Jaa clips, and that influence will be in there, but the paint is definitely more in-character.
contown

Post by contown »

So, will this thing ever be made?
Halkure

Post by Halkure »

contown wrote:So, will this thing ever be made?
I wouldn't hold my breath or anything. It's a pretty low-priority outlet for me to do some animation when the mood strikes. Lots of things could change, for better or worse, once summer starts and I have my own place. Who knows.
EmP|ty

Post by EmP|ty »

I showed interest in this a while back, just posting to say I'm still interested in being a part of this, I just downloaded Mugen last night and had a small fiddle, kinda ended up with me in a ' :shock: ' face, but hell I'll give it a shot so that I can help out with this.

Oh - and I definitely see Emi as a Taokaka-style kind of character, shizune seems more like Noel or Nu to me, if we're comparing them to BlazBlue characters, heh.
Halkure

Post by Halkure »

Aha, excellent. =] Good to have you aboard. You were a programmer if I recall?
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Halkure wrote:
I wouldn't hold my breath or anything. It's a pretty low-priority outlet for me to do some animation when the mood strikes. Lots of things could change, for better or worse, once summer starts and I have my own place. Who knows.
I'm kind of in the same boat myself. I've been dedicating most of my free time to school and other things. So that leaves little time for anything else.