Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Snicket

Re: Katawa Shoujo fightan game

Post by Snicket »

EmP|ty wrote: Oooh, Link? also funnily enough C# is my main programming language, although I'm not that great so at best if this is the road the game is gonna take I will only be able to provide minor help here and there, but I'm still up for it.
Well its an XNA application in C# that uses a XNL format.

If you familiar with XNA its actually not too hard

XNA Creators' club

http://creators.xna.com/en-US/
whiteflags

Post by whiteflags »

I'll learn enough C# to help. I've programmed in C++ before so it shouldn't take me too long to get the gist. That, and I don't have enough imagination to work on any of my own projects. Please consider me an asset.
X is scientifically proven to Y.
iNceri

Post by iNceri »

how realistic could or should it be? i mean guilty gear is perhaps too crazy for some guys and more realistic than street fighter is too boring in my mind.

some fightingstyles are accurate, may few adds:
Emi- can only really hurt someone if she run and dashs, maybe she tumbles too (a lot of dropkicks?) (like uriko in bloody roar)

Hanako- she doesn't wanna fight and hurt the enemy by accidental slips
or a little flame is chasing here while she runs away, the flame help her fighting (like the wings from Dizzy)

misha- is spinning all the time (like ayane) and uses her drills/hear as a weapon (like Millia Rage)

to the look ...
made Shizune at first cuz she's the easiest to do and i'm not very good/fast at drawing by the way atm i have only 'paint' as a tool...
so if someone could draw the girls by hand, the sprites wouldn't take long to do
techk8

Post by techk8 »

Holy Jesus that is awesome.
techk8 wrote:In all honestly, I don't care if it's an OVA or a whole series; it needs to end with the Lilly Good End, damnit! IT'S FUCKING CANON AND I'LL TAKE THAT TRUTH TO THE GRAVE.
[10:59] <@cpl_crud> Penises aren't spoilers; they are just disappointing in general
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

iNceri wrote:to the look ...
Jinkies!
Attachments
jinkies.png
jinkies.png (17.1 KiB) Viewed 8830 times
U.T. Raptor

Post by U.T. Raptor »

DuaneMoody wrote:
iNceri wrote:to the look ...
Jinkies!
Attachments
Yakuza_Girl_[RH-XLG]_c07_p16.jpg
Yakuza_Girl_[RH-XLG]_c07_p16.jpg (51.53 KiB) Viewed 8302 times
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

iNceri wrote:how realistic could or should it be? i mean guilty gear is perhaps too crazy for some guys and more realistic than street fighter is too boring in my mind.
You, my friend, have just become my favorite sprite artist (for the time being, anyway). I'm not active involved with development atm, but if the final product can in any way approach Vanguard Princess levels of polish in art quality and animation (which it looks like it will), I will love you long time and be a very happy man.

EDIT: Hell, now that I look at it, she looks an awful lot Yui Kutuna...
Attachments
First girl, top left
First girl, top left
cast.gif (88.11 KiB) Viewed 8301 times
静音是买外夫
iNceri

Post by iNceri »

thanks but it's just a teaser guys and still under development ... and yes, the most part based on Yui but you can only say it if you see them together ;) .
this sprite wasn't intended to run in the game, it was first only a reference for me if i would do the real sprites.
Shizune trends to be the norm in visual appearance and got a safe stand (may a little 'pissed of' or dominating), the others will turn out completly different, to give an example:

-Hanako is frightened and got that shy x-leg-stand
-Emi hyperative little fry and ready to dash/run (sportoutfit?)
-Misha, well ... laughing, a lot!
-Rin ... i dunno, boyuniform and bored so far ...
-Kenji, you know how he looks like when he roars~
-Lilly looks in the wrong direction and stand with her back to the enemy, the hand right at her carry-like-katana cane

but how i said, i'm not that good at drawing to even got in sight to Vanguard Princess or BlazBlue ... on my own it's "only" guilygear or melty blood -likes possible
so if an good artist would draw this in that or an other/his/her style, the sprite-ing in this high quality is possible...

in the past i worked on a Beat'em'Up for Ragnarök Online (NOT offline) and made a huge bunch of edits to creat 2d animation, interfaces, effects and so on, it was a hell of work and wasted time because the project dropped, since than i'm not feeling to go into massproduction again ... anyway if this KS-FG will be serious and keep running, i will jump on the train if i'm welcome
Mercutio

Post by Mercutio »

holy shit iNceri, that's fuckin' awesome. seriously. with extra fuckin'. :mrgreen:

..that didn't come out right.

anyway, if this crazy thing actually happens, I hope you end up working on some of the sprites - all of 'em would be a lot for one person, I think. I don't really know anything about this. I'd offer to help contribute, but all I could really do would be write stuff and help brainstorm. I don't know how to program or anything like that.
"There is no excellent beauty that hath not some strangeness in the proportion." - Sir Francis Bacon

Emi = Hanako > Lilly > Rin >>>>>>> Shizune
amazing how preference changes now that the game's actually out.
Akira/Hanako for the win. Meiko/Nurse for even more win. Miki/Misha for win that goes BEYOND THE IMPOSSIBLE.
Snicket

Post by Snicket »

Warwick wrote: [-attached image-]
Anyone else notice that they all have the same face?

Anyway, making a sprite isn't all that difficult. but coming up with all the movements, actions, etc is. One method i've herd of is that all the moves are first drawn out. Then each are resided colored and shaded. Which in itself is a lengthy process. (Or so I herd.) Since you have to do one for 'every' movement, but the thing about sprites it that they can be flipped.

So unless a character has something on one side of there body that's not on the other, there sprite can be flipped. Though even if there is, it hasn't stopped game devs in the past. (A lot of old fighting games for the first generation counsels have examples of this.)
iNceri

Post by iNceri »

Snicket wrote:
Warwick wrote: [-attached image-]
Anyone else notice that they all have the same face?
...and some the same shoes? and stand in only 2-3 (and flipped) ways? and so on ... but it doesn't care anybody cuz the rest is godlike and gives varieties!

by the way you're talking about the flipp, Hanako shouldn't be flipped i think. als long as the player sees her side with the unburned face and the eye it's fine ...on the other side, playing that girl from 'the ring' may be fun but it isn't Hanako.
janz

Post by janz »

Rin somehow reminds me of Club Foot from Once Upon a Time in China.
Simplified Chinese Progress - good
Warwick

Post by Warwick »

Snicket wrote:Anyway, making a sprite isn't all that difficult. but coming up with all the movements, actions, etc is. One method i've herd of is that all the moves are first drawn out. Then each are resided colored and shaded. Which in itself is a lengthy process. (Or so I herd.) Since you have to do one for 'every' movement, but the thing about sprites it that they can be flipped.
I spend a good amount of time lurking and occasionally posting on the Battle for Wesnoth art/music forums and am fairly familiar with the workflows of their sprite artists. Basically, the most important aspects are blocking out the animation (do quick hacks, copying and pasting body parts using rotation tools, etc), exaggeration, and an understanding of whole-body mechanics.

Blocking out an animation (example) helps to get the general feel of what you're trying to accomplish. It should take no more than 20 minutes and be very rough. It serves as a reminder of what parts are moving and leads into the other two aspects.

Now exaggeration might be less necessary in a fighting game (Wesnoth's sprites are on a much smaller scale), because the sprites will be large, but that doesn't mean it should be ignored. Big windups and follow-throughs help convey a sense of motion and weight to each movement and attack, even if it's not entirely physically feasible to do so.

And finally, when animating, it's important to note that the body is a system. Every part is connected to each other. When you throw a punch, you don't just jab your arm out. Think of the rotation of your hips, the shifting of your weight. The key component that distinguishes experienced and amateur animation is the animator's attention to their character's biomechanics.
静音是买外夫
Synapsis

Post by Synapsis »

Some of my ideas for moves and such.

Specials
Rin
Paint Slick - Rin kicks over a can of paint. The resulting puddle will slip up anyone unfortunate enough to try and walk on it. Has no effect on Emi. Dries up after a short time. The can and dried puddles remain until the end of the round.
Paint Splash - Rin splashes paint in her opponent's eyes, blinding them temporarily. Blinded enemies can only move at half speed, and cannot attack, block or jump. Has no effect on Lilly. If the splash misses it's target, it splatters on the floor instead, and stays there until the end of the round.
Brush Toss - Rin throws a paintbrush (using her feet of course) which deals a bit of damage to any enemy it hits. The brush falls to the ground after it hits something, and stays there until the end of the round.
Voodoo Portrait - Rin produces a canvas and begins to sketch a likeness of her opponent upon it. If she is allowed to finish the portrait (she can be stopped by simply attacking her) then any damage done to the painting will be dealt to the target as well. The victim may attack the painting as well, but will still be damaged in turn by doing so. After receiving a certain amount of damage, the paining falls over and may no longer be attacked, although it stays there until the end of the round.
All paint splashes and splatters are randomly colored, so by the end of the round the floor should be quite colorful.
There's a reason for this mess staying there, which I'll get to later.
Kenji
Strangling Scarf - Kenji throws out one end of his scarf to ensnare his enemy. The target is strangled, dealing damage, and dragged into melee range, where they are helpless to defend against Kenji's next attack. After being released from strangulation, the victim is unable to use special attacks for a short time. This additional effect does not apply to Shizune.
Thwart the Snipers - Kenji erects a curtain that blocks all projectiles. Does not stop opponents from passing through. Falls apart after a short time.
Drunken Rage - Kenji chugs a bottle of whiskey, causing him to temporarily lose all sense of reason. In this state, his attacks do significantly more damage, but he also takes steady damage from alcohol poisoning. This move may be performed while already in a Drunken Rage, prolonging and amplifying both its positive and negative effects. However, the increased damage effect is amplified additively while the poisoning effect increases exponentially.
Mad Rant - Kenji pulls out a megaphone and preaches his anti-feminist philosophy to anyone within range. Effected enemies are temporarily unable to act as they ponder his theory. Has no effect on Shizune or Rin. Cannot be used while Drunken Rage is in effect.
Misha
Drill Vortex - Misha throws one of her hair drills, creating a small tornado that deals damage to anyone in its path. In addition, the vortex sucks up any projectiles it encounters and adds them to the damage it deals to its next victim.
WAHAHAHA! - Misha spouts her signature boisterous laughter, stunning any nearby opponents for a short time. Has no effect on Shizune.
Hanako
Castling - Hanako jumps backwards and recovers some health. Can only be used once per round.
En Passant - Hanako teleports a short distance to appear behind her target and attack, damaging and knocking the opponent into the air.
Checkmate - Hanako summons a random giant chess piece which moves across the stage according to the rules of movement for that piece. Only one chess piece may be summoned at a time. The chess piece is destroyed if it is hit by any enemy attack.
Pieces Hanako can summon:
Pawn - Most commonly summoned. Starts at one side of the stage and slowly advances across the floor in short hops. Does not deal damage, but will be promoted to random higher piece if it reaches the other end of the stage before it is destroyed.
Knight - Much less common than the Pawn. Moves in long jumps, similar to a pawn, but longer and higher. Deals a little damage if it hits an enemy, and pins them in place if it lands directly on them. Makes two passes across the stage.
Bishop - Less common than the Knight. Bounces diagonally around the stage dealing damage to any enemy it strikes. Destroyed after a few bounces.
Rook - About as common as the Bishop. Slides across the floor at high speed, damaging all enemies in its path and knocking them into the air.
Queen - Very rare. Quickly homes in on the nearest enemy and deals a lot of damage if it hits them. Destroyed once it makes a successful attack.
I like the chess theme for Hanako. Fire is fitting for her, but fire-based characters have already been done to death. I'd like Hanako (well, all the characters really) to have more moves based on their personality and interests than just their disability.

Finishers
Rin
Living Mural - You know how all of Rin's moves I mentioned earlier leave stuff lying around? The more of that stuff there is, the more powerful this move becomes. Rin brings it all to life in the form of abstract beasts and cubist monstrosities which lay waste to her enemies. The paint is washed away after the Living Mural runs its course, so Rin may use this move multiple times in one round, but must start over from scratch each time.
In a Rin vs Rin fight, only the paint produced by the Rin who performs the Living Mural will be used.
Shizune
Ultimate RISK - Shizune calls in an army of cavalry and cannons to destroy her opponent. Deals very high damage, but reduces Shizune to 1% health, so if the opponent doesn't die, she's in trouble.
Hanako
Inferno - The entire stage is set ablaze, dealing constant damage to everybody, Hanako included. The move doesn't end until the round is over, and Hanako is unable to act for the duration. Use it strategically or it may wind up killing Hanako before her opponent.
Hisao
Cardiac Arrest - The action freezes momentarily as an EKG line flashes across the screen. Hisao lunges forward and deals a fatal blow to his opponent. Instant-kill, but if it misses Hisao dies instead.
Lilly
Lights Out - The stage is plunged into complete darkness. The characters are visible as a white outline against black. No longer able to see, most opponents are helpless to defend against Lilly in this state. Lilly herself is unfazed and may mercilessly attack her target at will. Of course, this move becomes useless if the opponent happens to be another Lilly.
Kenji
Fortress of Solitude - Kenji entrenches himself within an impenetrable cardboard bunker, becoming immune to all attacks while he regenerates health and devises a master plan to dominate his opponents. He emerges in full battle armor, prepared to dispense justice upon the battlefield. All of Kenji's attacks are greatly enhanced and he is nigh-invincible within his iron carapace. Eventually, the armor wears out and Kenji is vulnerable once more, assuming there is anyone left to oppose him.
Misha
Madness - Misha summons a horde of equally vociferous Mini-Mishas. You can imagine the horror.

Out of time defeat poses:
Hisao collapses clutching his chest and probably going "HHHNNNNNGGGG!!!" The heartbeat shader would be great here.
One of Emi's legs comes off. She falls down and starts crying.
Hanako: "I-I-IVEGOTTOGODOSOMETHING!" and runs off the stage.

Yea, I got bored and sat around working on this for a few hours...
Captain Niggawatts

Post by Captain Niggawatts »

Synapsis wrote:Some of my ideas for moves and such.
BLOCK OF TEXT
The moves are interesting, but Hanako is grossly underpowered, with a super that has a decent chance of killing her, and a bevy of specials that can be countered in one hit.

Also, Kenji is SUPER broken and Rin is also fairly broken, because they can EASILY pull of infinite combos with their stun moves.
"People who quote themselves in their signatures are egotistical faggots" - Captain Niggawatts