Katawa Shoujo Cosplay @ Anime Evolution

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Atashi

Re: Katawa Shoujo Cosplay @ Anime Evolution

Post by Atashi »

abscess wrote:.........
Am I the only one who liked the Kenji cosplay? I mean, Shizune looks odd, Hisao looks... faggy, I'm not sure why and Emi, though overall she looks fine, her face just doesn't sell me the idea of her being Emi. I'm not gonna say anything the "magical" color change of the nurse's hair....
I dunno... Maybe I just don't dig cosplaying at all...
And WTF is with the narutard??
Bara wrote:Pretty much hit the nail on the head I would say. The person doing Shizune either needs to get her blouse retailored to allow more arm movement or stop trying to do those poses with the glasses that make it bunch up and pull at the underarm. Points added for knowing Shizunes' glasses pose; points taken away for not realizing the pose was not working. The peson doing Emi is in a well fitted costume and is posing in a bit of an attempt of an Emi pout. She has a passing familiarity with the character and the sprites. Hisao, well the pants that look like he got them from a zoot suit circa 1940 frankly look retarded. The same for the smarmy, narcicisstic look plastered on his mug. Kenji is done well. His costume fits well (thank god he didn't go for the fig leaf! :oops: ). The tie might be off but that is a minor nit pick. If he could get across in his facial expression a bit more brooding, sullen, anger against the feminist conspiracy that would be even better. The Nurse is acceptable; nice touch with the belt buckle, but the main thing the catches the eye is the shaggy mop of hair which is nothing like the sprites. I think his girlfriend made his costume and dressed him to go along with the group. :mrgreen:
Laughing so hard at this. Yeah, I have no excuses to offer for the cosplay, just explanations.

- We started off with just the Kenji guy cosplaying Kenji; that's why he's the best-looking of the group.
- The girls' costumes were made from scratch within one week. The guys' costumes were pieces bought from women's rack in Goodwill. We ran out of time to get proper wigs for everyone. Some people in the group never heard of Katawa Shoujo before the con. We lost the black tie for Kenji the day before.
- It is given that con photography isn't flattering 9 times out of 10. That said, at least the photographer caught us all instead of cropping out someone's head completely or something like that.
- Everyone in the photo is single. No annoying girlfriend pestering us to cosplay KS...just mutually annoying nerds.
Last edited by Atashi on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Major Major

Post by Major Major »

The guy cos playing Naruto just freaks me the fuck out. Hisao didn't work out so we'll, he's too white and needs more hair, less facial hair. Shizune, unless this is a bad camera angle (or the loose cloths, you should have made them tighter to reveal curves. Selfish, selfish), has bigger breasts. 8)

Nurse would have been done better by a lanky person, with a proper hair colour
SirMax: I like how the Emi cosplayer was too lazy to try and make her legs look prosthetic-ish. Obviously they weren't going to get them looking like Emi's prosthetics, but they could have at least tried to make them look like a C-Leg or whatever.
We'll whats she going to do cut her legs off (It takes some damn good commitment)? They were only doing KS for a few hours, so you can't expect too much I suppose. Still would have liked to see a better Emi though, she isn't that tall.

I think the girls fit their roles the best.
"The more pure and innocent a thing is; the more entertaining it is to corrupt it."
SirMax

Post by SirMax »

Atashi wrote: - The girls' costume were made from scratch within one week.
well then that pretty much explains it right there
Major Major wrote:
SirMax: I like how the Emi cosplayer was too lazy to try and make her legs look prosthetic-ish. Obviously they weren't going to get them looking like Emi's prosthetics, but they could have at least tried to make them look like a C-Leg or whatever.
We'll whats she going to do cut her legs off (It takes some damn good commitment)? They were only doing KS for a few hours, so you can't expect too much I suppose. Still would have liked to see a better Emi though, she isn't that tall.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C-Leg
While she obviously can't cut off her legs, make-up/costuming of the legs to make them look like a more obvious prosthetic would get across the idea that the character is missing the legs.

Alternatively, give up on Emi because that's really quite hard to cosplay, tuck your arms into your shirt and go as Rin.

also maybe "too lazy" was a bit harsh, sorry about that.
minin00b

Post by minin00b »

japanese?
I say 1+1=1000
Why no one trust me!!:(
WASSHOI

Post by WASSHOI »

This image spread around /a/ and /jp/ quite a bit when it was first posted. Almost every OP would reply something like "why the narutard?" and it really is true.

Why the hell is he there? It's so out of place, was he just walking by and asked to be in the picture too or did they actually invite him there?

What's Sasuke's disability?

Anyway, I don't really enjoy cosplay much, so the image itself is no big deal for me. The only thing that makes the image special to me is how out of place Sasuke is in all of this. He also seems to be making the most cheerful expression out of anyone else in the group.
Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne »

WASSHOI wrote: What's Sasuke's disability?
He's just in the wrong group - as the devs have stated repeatedly, Yamaku doesn't accept mentally disabled students. :roll:
The Commissar

Post by The Commissar »

I love cosplay. I've really only seen pictures, the only time it saw it live as at a Games Day, but that isn't an Anime Convention, so it doesn't apply here really.
Resident "morale officer".
WetCrate

Post by WetCrate »

COSPLY IS SRS BSNS

Also, I support all love for KS, even if it's a bit creepy.

PLUS FOR A LIMITED TIME: I liked Emi's costume. I thought she got the hair right, which is a big thing for me. Or, you know, whatever.
simpleDvorak

Post by simpleDvorak »

The Commissar wrote:I love cosplay. I've really only seen pictures, the only time it saw it live as at a Games Day, but that isn't an Anime Convention, so it doesn't apply here really.
There were at least two ultrasmurfs and a fire warrior at Anime North, which was surprising.
Falkentyne wrote:
WASSHOI wrote: What's Sasuke's disability?
He's just in the wrong group - as the devs have stated repeatedly, Yamaku doesn't accept mentally disabled students. :roll:
Though he may not look like it, I'd like to throw a vote towards Anencephaly.

As for the thread-relevant cosplay: I liked it. The costumes are pretty faithful and look a lot better made than the a lot of cosplays I've walked past at AN (read: cardboard and tape). Also, nice use of Gryffindor scarf.
The Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy has this to say on the subject of flying.
There is an art, it says, or rather a knack to flying.
The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.
Falkentyne

Post by Falkentyne »

WetCrate wrote:COSPLY IS SRS BSNS

Also, I support all love for KS, even if it's a bit creepy.

PLUS FOR A LIMITED TIME: I liked Emi's costume. I thought she got the hair right, which is a big thing for me. Or, you know, whatever.
I really liked the Emi too. The hair was as close to perfect as she could have gotten (Same with Shizune and Kenji. Nurse loos like he needs a haircut, is it that hard to style a wig?) and she at least used the striped socks from the 100% completion picture. However, I think adding a little "bulk" to imply the older-style, non-composite-spring-styled prosthetics she could have worn thinner knee and shin pads under the socks. Maybe it would have looked too doofy, I dunno.
kobe

Post by kobe »

I think someone should do Hideaki cosplay.

Girl: 'dude, why are you cosplaying as a girl?

Guy: 'I'm not'

Girl: '...'
abscess

Post by abscess »

kobe wrote:I think someone should do Hideaki cosplay.
Girl: 'dude, why are you cosplaying as a girl?
Guy: 'I'm not'
Girl: '...'
lol
It's virtually impossible to find a man capable of portraying Hideaki well enough. It would have to be a child, since some kids are androgynous enough to pass as either a boy or a girl....... but then it would be a shota cosplay, and that thought is really, really disturbing >_<
Siiiiigh....
Cody8977897

Post by Cody8977897 »

Well I don't really understand why...but I think the Sasuske guy freaks me out a bit...
I can see the future but know not what is to come...
I know who I am, yet not who I will be...
ai-honey

Post by ai-honey »

Holy shit, you guys are more critical than /cgl/ and that's saying something. 8D

I would say overall a really good effort. Emi and Kenji are spot on (Emi wears stripey thigh highs guys when not running, keep up), and Shizune pulls off the look very well even if her shirt is a little tight. Hisao would be great too if his trousers weren't quite so baggy. :D; It really made me happy to see this.

I'm looking forward to a full group!