Full Music Transcriptions

Feel free to post any fan works in this forum.

Splosh

Full Music Transcriptions

Post by Splosh »

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum but I've been a fan of KS for about a year now. What really struck me about it was the music, which in my opinion fit the game perfectly. After briefly looking around for scores, I could only find piano ones, and being a non-pianist I decided to have a go at writing a full transcript of Wiosna for piano, guitar, accordion and mark tree.

It's my first serious attempt at transcribing anything, and I think I messed up a couple of places in the bass piano part. In addition, there was no instrument to be found that fitted the strange, reverby ambient sound you hear throughout the piece (so I didn't bother including it), and you can barely hear the accordion in the song so I made that a copy-paste job, probably making it utterly wrong. I also have no idea how to write for mark tree so I just improvised there :oops:

Please find attached the PDF of the score, and the mp3 of the exported audio so somebody with a more practised ear can have a gander. Thanks to Animenz for the piano score which I copied unashamedly, and to Sebastien Skaf who gave us the wonderful piece in the first place. I used Sibelius 6 for this transcription. With permission and positive reception, I'd quite like to transcribe a couple of the other pieces.

Thanks,

Splosh
Attachments
Wiosna.pdf
Score of Wiosna transcript on Sibelius 6 (updated)
(34.79 KiB) Downloaded 689 times
Wiosna.mp3
Audio of Wiosna transcript on Sibelius 6
(2.23 MiB) Downloaded 534 times
Last edited by Splosh on Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Oranges and lemons,
Say the bells of St. Clements.
Splosh

Re: Full Scores?

Post by Splosh »

Hi again,

Here's another full score, this time of The Student Council (Skaf) for piano, strings, acoustic guitar, classical guitar and bass guitar. I think that this one's less true to the original piece than my Wiosna transcript was, because I didn't have an existing piano score to rip off. As such, the piano parts are done by ear by a non-pianist so some of the voicings might not make sense or be impossible to reach. My apologies if that is the case, I might revisit this if I see anything glaring.

I was on the fence about whether the bass guitar was actually a double bass played pizzicato, but it could go either way so I used the instrument I think suits this song better. The "strings" stave is a reduction of what I think is a couple of violins and maybe a couple of cellos, also done by ear and probably wrong.

As per last time, please find attached the PDF file of the score and the mp3 file of the exported audio for comparison to the original piece. This was also done on Sibelius 6.

Thanks once more,

Splosh
Attachments
The Student Council.pdf
Score of The Student Council transcript on Sibelius 6 (updated)
(50.15 KiB) Downloaded 611 times
The Student Council.mp3
Audio of The Student Council transcript on Sibelius 6
(3.25 MiB) Downloaded 543 times
Last edited by Splosh on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oranges and lemons,
Nicol Armarfi
Musician

Post by Nicol Armarfi »

Hey, these are pretty accurate! Good job :)
Splosh

Post by Splosh »

Nicol Armarfi wrote:Hey, these are pretty accurate! Good job :)
Thanks Nicol, I appreciate the feedback. I'm trying to work through Ease at the moment but it's super tough to do :(

I might have a go at a full score of School Days in a couple of days instead, it should be easier than Ease (heh). Sad that I can't do my favourite track in the game but there you go.

Also if anyone wants the .sib files of the tracks so you can correct or modify them in Sibelius, I'll send mediafire links if you want.

Thanks again,

Splosh
Oranges and lemons,
Splosh

Post by Splosh »

Hi everyone,

I did another full score today, this one of School Days for marimba, 7-string acoustic guitar, bongos and drumkit. I'm fairly happy with this one except in the ending, where there was some sort of ambience I couldn't capture with an instrument so I left it out. My timbre recognition isn't what it used to be so it's possible I've misidentified the marimba - I'm not too good with pitched percussion.

Big thanks to Mirrormn who did the piano arrangement on which my transcript is based and without whom I'd probably be writing in 3/4 for hours until I realised the millions of triplets, and of course to Skaf for the piece in the first place and also his words of encouragement which really helped me to do another transcript - I now know what it feels like when senpai notices me :lol:

Please find attached the PDF file of the score and the mp3 file of the exported audio for reference to the original music. Personally, I don't particularly like the sound of the mp3 but I think that's more down to Sibelius 6's sound samples not being up to scratch than anything else.

Thanks,

Splosh
Attachments
School Days.mp3
Audio of School Days transcript on Sibelius 6
(2.76 MiB) Downloaded 553 times
School Days.pdf
Score of School Days transcript on Sibelius 6
(52.94 KiB) Downloaded 581 times
Oranges and lemons,
Splosh

Re: Full Music Transcriptions

Post by Splosh »

Hi again,

Sorry for the delay but I got tired of transcription because of the unending frustration of transcribing Ease, and between that and general laziness I ended up postponing this next one for over a month. I might stop the full scores and just do guitar arrangements instead, because the more I transcribe the more I discover how crap I am at properly writing for anything other than guitar. Having given up trying to do Ease, I've done Stride instead (still one of my favourites).

Having Skaf's original score (albeit for an earlier version) was a great help, and it really helped in the intro and ending with all the suspended piano chords that I couldn't catch by ear.

In any case, this one's for glockenspiel, piano, acoustic guitar, electric bass guitar, bongos, maracas, claves and drumkit. I'm OK with how it turned out, bar the godawful slides that Sibelius 6 is incapable of rendering in a believable or pleasant-sounding way. The drumkit presented issues, too: I'm no good at recognising cymbal sounds so I supposed the one used in this piece was a splash but it's probably a crash, to say nothing of the bass drum 16th note horribleness that I think is a conga drum instead :cry:

Great thanks (and sincere apologies) to Sebastien Skaf, who uploaded the aforementioned original score, and who of course wrote this piece.

In any case, please find attached the .pdf file of the score and the .mp3 file of the audio, as usual, and I hope you enjoy it! :)

Thanks,

Splosh
Attachments
Stride.mp3
Audio of Stride transcript on Sibelius 6
(2.11 MiB) Downloaded 520 times
Stride.pdf
Score of Stride transcript on Sibelius 6
(93.17 KiB) Downloaded 604 times
Oranges and lemons,