Weekly Report: 01-Jun-07

We have a blog now
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Weekly Report: 01-Jun-07

Post by cpl_crud »

Weekly progress report.

Scratch Pad: http://66.90.118.7/z-s/z-s-v2.pdf

I had actually intended to write a report like this last week, however I’m currently stretched far beyond my limits. I feel like a drop of oil on a calm lake (Fun Fact: common oil will spread to a thickness of 1 micron on water; meaning that each mL will cover one square metre.).

From now on, I’ll be posting a short blurb like this every week, letting you know where we’ve gone in the past week and where we’re going in the next week.

The big issue at the moment is the scenarios. With three drafts submitted, we’re only two away from seeing the “big picture” of the game. I’ve asked Hivemind to complete at least one more of these by then end of the weekend, and he assures me that this task shall be done.

The “may blitz” seems to have worked in a sense, Grid 1 is starting to look quite “green”. Speaking of which, I’ve attached my “scratch sheet”, which shows me what’s been done, and what needs doing. Of course, this is only for the writing side of things, but I’m working on adding art and music to that too.

I’m happy with the sprites I’m seeing, however I will need all of the ones listed in the “art requests” posts to get what I want from the grid.

You’ll notice that I’ve posted a couple of “blocked” scenes in Submissions- these show what I want to happen where. This, of course, will change the instant I see the compiled game, however it is a starting point.

I think of the past two months as “preparation”. There’s been a lot of faffing around, a few false starts, and a lot of wasted effort. I want to stop this now. All departments have been given solid direction as to what needs to be done. If you’re sitting around thinking “I want to help, but I don’t have anything to do”, then you should drop your department head a line, or check out the requests in art/writing. There’s a whole lot of things that need to be drawn and written.

Over the next week we’re going to try and finish the drafts of scripts for Grid 1, as well as enough sprites to at least look at some scenes.

I’d like to remind everyone to head on over to Canon and read the Treatment documents. People are still writing things that contradict these things. Last night, I was asked “Well, is it important for X to be X?”.
The answer to that is a stoic YES.
We now have four writers submitting work. We all need to be on the same page. Little details like which way the school faces, or how high the windows are; these things make the difference. They also allow you to do cool things. Yesterday I realised that the layout of the school would reflect a setting sun back into the hallway windows off the Grand Hall, turning the hallway red.
Anyway, my point is that we all need a guide line as to what happens when and where, and that guideline is the treatment. If you are submitting art or scenes that contravene the treatment, I’m going to keep sending them back to you. If you want to help out, that’s great, but submitting work that goes against our doctrine *isn’t helping*. In fact, it’s totally unconstructive.

To the writers and artists- read/view the work of your peers. Get to know it; we’re all going to be in the same boat, writing and drawing the same stuff. By getting familiar with each other’s work, we’ll slowly become convergent and write as one.
TcDohl

TcDohl's Weekly Progress Report

Post by TcDohl »

Just something to add. I've begun to integrate the scenes done in the end of May blitz, and I've posted sample scenes that I've integrated into RenPy, using my and crud's scene directions.

You can download these scenes here:
http://66.90.118.7/z-s/Katawa_Shojo_Blitz_1_Scenes.zip

Note that this URL will change and when it does, it will contain more scenes in it. Keep on the lookout over the weekend for new developments.

Please note that the backgrounds are very temporary, and we will definitely NOT use them in the final product. I was not able to use any music as the music that we currently have does not have the range that I would like to have in the scene(s).

Hooray! I'm no longer useless!