DS Port

We are not actively looking for more staff at the moment.
Will Robertson

DS Port

Post by Will Robertson »

I'm not looking to join the Dev team really, I just thought that this would be the best place to post the proposal I have. In short, I was wondering if I could have permission to port the Demo of Katawa Shoujo to the DS, so that it could then be played on DS's with homebrew cards? I think that this expanded visibility would help the games popularity, and besides, who doesn't love the idea of portable KS? I must warn you ahead of time, if I do get the ok for this I may dissapear for a month or so, as finals are coming up for me, but I'll be sure to return.
Will Robertson

Re: DS Port

Post by Will Robertson »

Two thing I forgot to mention, the first is that those fancy effects would almost surely be lost in the port. Just something to take into consideration. The second, is I forgot to leave any contact info. My e-mail is Will@animeloveu.com , so shoot me an email if you want to discuss anything.
mareviq

Post by mareviq »

Setting aside the dev team permission for a bit that will be a difficult job. You'd either have to build ren'py on DS (requires Python, SDL, ffmpeg and some other stuff) and hope it runs (possibly with modifying pygame/ren'py to cope with new input) and the hardware can cope with it. This won't be easy (I'm trying to get it to run on MacOS X 10.3.9 this way with limited success). Or you'd have to make an engine from scratch, and then basically make a game from scratch for that engine. That would be extremely hard. (Not impossible, just not something that's usually undertaken by a single person.)
abs(imag(ME) / abs(ME)) = exp(PI) - PI - 19;
yoru

Post by yoru »

There is already an Engine for the DS for Visual Novels.
So that would probably be what he tries to do.
Will Robertson

Post by Will Robertson »

As Yoru said, the engine has already been made by someone else (Digital-haze.net or weeaboo.nl), I'm just porting the game to this engine, which, as I said before, will kill most if not all of those nice effects.
Envy

Post by Envy »

Suriko
Lilly Writer, Hanako Co-Writer, Producer

Post by Suriko »

That's a small mockup I did ages ago, when VNDS was still in its infancy. Incidentaly, that is as close as KS will ever come to a DS version, unless I go insane and decide to port act 1 to the DS.

Sorry, but we will not be adding more members to the team to produce a version for the DS. Neither will we accept any usage of these forums to produce it, as it would be classified as a derivative work (we know there isn't a lot we can do about this, but as per another thread, we just hope people can understand).

Ze End.