Spanish Translation *In Progress*

We are not actively looking for more staff at the moment.
Nack

Re: Spanish Translation *In Progress*

Post by Nack »

On the one hand, only 1 spanish translation would be the best, on the other hand I'd like to work on this project but the team is already assembled, so there's no way new people can start working on this unless we create another spanish translation team.
SpainJ

Post by SpainJ »

Nack wrote:On the one hand, only 1 spanish translation would be the best, on the other hand I'd like to work on this project but the team is already assembled, so there's no way new people can start working on this unless we create another spanish translation team.
;o;
Really?
Awww I really wanted to help in this game, at least I wanted to translate it to spanish....But if there is already a team I guess I can't do anything but to wait the final release.

I say this because two teams of translators for the same language seems unlikely.
EricSSJ

Post by EricSSJ »

if you need help, i was a translator for NSG, and a editor, i can work whith neutral spanish form english, if the actual team need someone whith a neutral spanish i can help, if not, i will wait for the full release. Thanks.
Anon

Post by Anon »

It wouldn't be strange to have more than one Spanish version. For example, Firefox has three: es-AR (Argentina), es-MX (Mexico), es-ES (Spain). They don't have to be completely different, just some of the regional words changed. I think the best way to do that is to have one to start with, then other native speakers from other countries could go over changing the stuff that doesn't sound right to them.
Anon-tan

Post by Anon-tan »

In my modest opinion it’s absurd to do only a Spanish version of the game. One thing is the Castilian Spanish and another the Latin Spanish, and both parts don’t have why download a “neutral” version if there’re people from the two continents who want translate it.

By the way, each time I load the front page and read “¿Puedes hacer las cosas por mismo?” I die a little inside xD
Which guarantees we have that this will be well translated? I don’t want to be a pain in the ass, but a thing is speak English and another write correctly.

And this is just a curiosity, no a criticism. The translator team is going to pass a test or something? The director of the project is going to be monitoring the team? Who is going to be the spell checker?

Luck and thanks : D
cpl_crud
Project Scapegoat

Post by cpl_crud »

All of the translations are responsible for their own Quality control, as we can't be expected to read the 10 or so languages that Act 1 is being translated to.

We may, however, run an independent Beta on the Translations before releasing them Officially.
My Novel - Now available The Zemlya Conspiracy
Blog: http://cplcrud.WordPress.com

------
<Suriko> Crud would be patting Hanako's head
<Suriko> In a non-creepy fatherly way
<NicolArmarfi> crud is trying to dress hanako up like miku and attempting to get her to pose for him in headphones and he burns money
Pato2747

Post by Pato2747 »

Anon-tan wrote:In my modest opinion it’s absurd to do only a Spanish version of the game. One thing is the Castilian Spanish and another the Latin Spanish, and both parts don’t have why download a “neutral” version if there’re people from the two continents who want translate it.

By the way, each time I load the front page and read “¿Puedes hacer las cosas por mismo?” I die a little inside xD
Which guarantees we have that this will be well translated? I don’t want to be a pain in the ass, but a thing is speak English and another write correctly.

And this is just a curiosity, no a criticism. The translator team is going to pass a test or something? The director of the project is going to be monitoring the team? Who is going to be the spell checker?

Luck and thanks : D
The site translation will undergo through a major edition in the future. And we're working in Castillian Spanish for now.

I want to state something: The translation team has decided that no more people should join for the sake of balance. However you can PM me and we'll discuss it and see how it turns out.

And 'Goddammit' will either translate to "Maldición", "Mierda", y interjecciones de ese estilo.
Nachoman

Post by Nachoman »

I guess I arrived late on this thread...
Anyway, there is such a thing as "regional difference" between Spaniard Spanish and Mexican Spanish, with South American Spanish being a middle ground, Argentinian Spanish being something of a middle ground between South American and Spaniard, and Filipino Spanish being its own can of strangeness.

I would know: I live in Cancún and, after working around tourists for several years, I returned to school and I'll be getting a degree on tourism shortly. From my own experience I know of groups of Spaniards who just don't get it that México has over 50 living languages, that Spanish isn't the first language for a good 10% of Mexicans, and thus Mexican Spanish has more variability than it does in all of South America.
Of course, as a receptionist, salesman and similar I tried to translate terms for puzzled tourists only familiar with Spaniard Spanish, but during my brief fling as a waiter I ran into more than a few Spaniards who were making fun of Nahuatl or Mayan words within Mexican Spanish, or even making word-games of Mexican surnames. I can promise on my grandfather's grave that I never spat on (or otherwise defaced) their drinks, or otherwise encouraged the personnel to deface their food or drinks; nevertheless, I can't promise that the chefs wouldn't go behind my back and wiped their asses on the steaks.

I'm not saying that you are doing things wrong, but that you should better go through the entire translation process for Spaniard/Argentinian Spanish (while not even trying to create a neutral version), then pass the finished work to groups of proofreaders for regional adaptations. It's win-win: you don't really increase your workload, and every region gets an appropriate translation.
Thus, it would be a good idea to organize the regional proofreaders, even if you won't be sending them any material for quite a while.
EricSSJ

Post by EricSSJ »

Nachoman wrote:I guess I arrived late on this thread...
Anyway, there is such a thing as "regional difference" between Spaniard Spanish and Mexican Spanish, with South American Spanish being a middle ground, Argentinian Spanish being something of a middle ground between South American and Spaniard, and Filipino Spanish being its own can of strangeness.

I would know: I live in Cancún and, after working around tourists for several years, I returned to school and I'll be getting a degree on tourism shortly. From my own experience I know of groups of Spaniards who just don't get it that México has over 50 living languages, that Spanish isn't the first language for a good 10% of Mexicans, and thus Mexican Spanish has more variability than it does in all of South America.
Of course, as a receptionist, salesman and similar I tried to translate terms for puzzled tourists only familiar with Spaniard Spanish, but during my brief fling as a waiter I ran into more than a few Spaniards who were making fun of Nahuatl or Mayan words within Mexican Spanish, or even making word-games of Mexican surnames. I can promise on my grandfather's grave that I never spat on (or otherwise defaced) their drinks, or otherwise encouraged the personnel to deface their food or drinks; nevertheless, I can't promise that the chefs wouldn't go behind my back and wiped their asses on the steaks.

I'm not saying that you are doing things wrong, but that you should better go through the entire translation process for Spaniard/Argentinian Spanish (while not even trying to create a neutral version), then pass the finished work to groups of proofreaders for regional adaptations. It's win-win: you don't really increase your workload, and every region gets an appropriate translation.
Thus, it would be a good idea to organize the regional proofreaders, even if you won't be sending them any material for quite a while.
i'm agree with you, because i don't know what a "Gilipollas" is i want to see that when a character says "Shit" i can read "Mierda" or words i know of, so PLEASE! make a neutral translation i can`t stand reading word in a spanish foregin to my own language. so i'm asking you to a) Do another translation to neutral spanish making 2 different versions of the game, or b) Onli make 1 translation in Natural Spanish.

thanks.
Pato2747

Post by Pato2747 »

Odds are that Spanish people are more likely to follow Katawa Shoujo than the population striving from the american continent. Making one translation for each language MIGHT be relatively easy to pull off (Although still extense), but we're still releasing it in Castellano at first, and we'll only start working on it afterwards if we consider it, as the translation team comes from different places that would make regional translations easy and without need of a second translation team.

--

Hay más probabilidades de que los jugadores hispanohablantes tengan una mayoría española que latinoamericana. Hacer una traducción para cada región SERÍA relativamente fácil de conseguir (Aunque aún así sería extenso), pero aún así terminaremos la traducción en castellano y, si consideramos una traducción regional RECIÉN trabajaremos en ella cuando terminemos con la que estamos trabajando ahora. Igualmente el equipo de traducción actual proviene de lugares diferentes, haciendo la traducción regional fácil y sin necesidad de un segundo equipo de traducción.

--
Nachoman

Post by Nachoman »

Man, you just gave me field day!
Odds are that Spanish people are more likely to follow Katawa Shoujo than the population striving from the american continent.
Lo más probable es que los jugadores españoles siguiendo el juego sean más que la población "haciendo un gran esfuerzo" desde el continente americano.
Making one translation for each language MIGHT be relatively easy to pull off (Although still extense),
Hacer una traducción para cada "idioma" (dialecto regional) TAL VEZ sería relativamente fácil de hacer (aunque aun sería [un trabajo] "extenso" (intenso/pesado/largo)),
but we're still releasing it in Castellano at first, and we'll only start working on it afterwards if we consider it,
pero nosotros todavía lo vamos a lanzar en "Castilian Spanish" en primera instancia, y solo empezaremos a trabajar en ello después [coma] si lo consideramos [pertinente][punto y coma],
as the translation team comes from different places that would make regional translations easy and without need of a second translation team.
ya que el equipo de traducción viene de diferentes lugares [punto][Esto haría...] que hacer las las traducciones regionales sea sencillo y sin la necesidad de un segundo equipo de traducción.

Yes, I'm completely and absolutely sure that you don't need a second translation team.
The word "traductor" [translator] comes from "traidor" [traitor].
You do need proofreaders, though.

Besides, about what you actually wrote, lets analyze the data...
No need to analyze the entire continent: just Mexico vs Spain.
The Spanish population is 40.5 million by the July 2009 estimate. The Mexican population by the same estimate is 111.2 million. If we take into account that the Mexican life expectancy is just 4 years shy of the Spaniard and infant death rate are pretty much equal, then malnutrition and healthcare shouldn't be so different. The Spanish GDP per capita is USD$34,600, being 2.43 times larger than the Mexican (at USD$14,200). If we said that, lets say, 20.25 million Spaniards could be counted as middle or upper class, then the Mexican middle and upper classes would be 2.43 times smaller, at 22.84 million. Now, unless you know something you aren't saying and Spain happens to be the modern Mecca of fetishism, I think Mexico alone has a larger potential market than Spain.
There's a reason why Pixar makes special translations for the Mexican market alone.

And remember, I still have about 25 more countries to analyze... your flag's "PLUS ULTRA" used to be extensive.
DuaneMoody

Post by DuaneMoody »

Nachoman wrote:The Spanish population is 40.5 million by the July 2009 estimate. The Mexican population by the same estimate is 111.2 million.
If there's one thing I've learned from hanging around 4chan, it's that Mexico has a far greater weeaboo population than most of us north-of-the-border honkies can possibly imagine. Devs, Nachoman's right even if it gives the bluebloods hives.
Nachoman

Post by Nachoman »

And I can also turn the air blue and have the other guy think that I'm flattering him.
I've actually had 0300hrs calls of people who had just gotten the fact that I had made unflattering comparisons between them and used feminine hygiene products.
Nova666

Post by Nova666 »

Hi, I'm interested in helping with the translation, I just finished the demo and this game has a lot of potential. I'm from Colombia, BTW, here we have a more neutral Spanish than Mexico or Argentina, so...

So, tell me what can I do. (even if is just checking for quality the translation...)
Pato2747

Post by Pato2747 »

Nachoman wrote: Wall of text
Well that only gives me more motivation to actually write stuff only when I'm sober.

Let me restate myself for a second here (and in the meantime let's do a recap of what's currently going on):

We're working on castillian Spanish at the moment. Once we're done, we'll release it and then work with the 'Neutral' translation, editing what's needed. After that, I'll do an argentinian release only if it ends up right. We analyzed it and, based on the data at the time and our resources, decided that "Castellano" was the dialect we should work in.

Anyways, the team is currently closed. We already have proofreaders and editors (Although we might ask for some later on), we are perfectly capable of doing a latinamerican version, and we're already too far in to make any changes to these statements at this time. However, we'll ask for more people when the latinamerican dialect is used for the translation.

And I'm going to be requesting a lock for this. This will only generate more "LOL I WANNA GET IN" posting which I'll probably will not notice until much later.

If you want to apply for anything in the translation team, PM me.