Katawa DLCs

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Munchenhausen

Katawa DLCs

Post by Munchenhausen »

You awake in an Alternate dimension.
A magical place where 4LS decided to sell Katawa Shoujo on Steam for about £5, rather than make it for no profit.
Each member of 4LS are gabizillionaires, and SilentCook has finally managed to buy the entirety of Sicily for his personal mansion.

Let's say Delta has the idea of adding additional DLC Packs, to increase longevity of the game and also to raise a bit more money so he can have Basking Sharks put into his Moat.

What DLCs could you imagine being released?
Extra endings, alternative route paths, more characters, voice packs, music packs, reskins, what else?

No doubt the Miki Route would be top seller ;)
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
BMFJack

Re: Katawa DLCs

Post by BMFJack »

I think I'd be most excited for voices. The extra paths and stuff would be super nice, but the voices would put that final awesomesauce polish on KS.

Although I think the most interesting form of DLC would be new MCs to choose from. Each girl is different depending on the MC you pick...
d2r

Post by d2r »

The Snoop Dogg narrator pack, available now for only $49.99. :wink:
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
brythain

Post by brythain »

I want the Feminist Conspiracy Kenji Protagonist Pack, with the OST and all. I'll even stump out for the Lockbox version that contains whisky samples and a key to the roof.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Silentcook
Carelessly Cooking You

Post by Silentcook »

Munchenhausen wrote:You awake in an Alternate dimension.
A magical place where 4LS decided to sell Katawa Shoujo on Steam for about £5, rather than make it for no profit.
Each member of 4LS are gabizillionaires, and SilentCook has finally managed to buy the entirety of Sicily for his personal mansion.
1298223794426.png
1298223794426.png (5.52 KiB) Viewed 41398 times
Shattering your dreams since '94. I also fought COVID in '20 and '21, and all I got was this lousy forum sig.

Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Alternate routes would be kind of hard to weave in, wouldn't they? Unless you made several dedicated scenes in the base game for each new option, you'd simply have to start in their act 2. The problem with the new scenes is that it would disturb some of the (already unstable) temporal continuity of Yamaku Academy.

My big purchases would most likely be epilogues and prologues. Seeing Hisao+w/e Bestgirl go through life (even if it was a sad story) would be a big magnet for me. Perhaps even a system like Rogue Legacy wherein you can play Hisao the second, and you get a small intuition hint once per chapter.

Perhaps a bit silly, but I would also go for a reboot-esque dlc that changed it to a Mass Effect-esque or JRPG version, battles with the evil and all. Mostly for the humor value, but I imagine with a it of luck and enough time, they could pull it off.

Voice Packs and reskins of the original 5 would be hard to sell me. If the game came with a voice-pack preinstalled, then that would be the voice for the characters. Since I've played the game without the voices here, the voices are already formulated in my head. (It's really an example of the Gandalf effect, wherein the imagined character is more "Realistic" to you than an actor.)

Music packs? I just scouted Nicol's youtube channel. I may or may not look into obtaining some albums. You can be sure I would buy more stuff made by him for the game, even if it was only to listen to. If it was done by different artists, depending on how familiar I was with the band, I may or may not buy it. Most likely I would wind up buying one or two, turning them off, and not buying anymore.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Epilogues and voice packs would be great.

Other than that... maybe a voice chat toy, sort of like Cleverbot, but with bestgirl instead?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
LordDarknus

Post by LordDarknus »

Munchenhausen wrote:You awake in an Alternate dimension...
A magical place...
Which has a water slide.

http://gizmodo.com/5810441/this-epic-wa ... elting-off

"Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!"
d2r

Post by d2r »

Let's be realistic. If there were DLCs, then given the state of the gaming industry at the moment it would presumably be of the following model:

Base game comes with Lilly and Shizune's routes (and Manly Picnic); please pay $12.99/route to unlock each of the other three.

:wink:

EDIT: Actually, it would come with only the bad end of Lilly's route & the good of Shizune's, and you'd need to pay a further $5 to unlock the "full" versions of the routes, because microtransactions. And another $5 apiece for the "gallery", "library", and "jukebox" functions. Also the soundtrack would be sold separately.

Your eyes bleeding yet? :P
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
Leaty

Post by Leaty »

I think I mentioned this on the forums before, but originally my fanfic was partially inspired by Persona 3 Portable's option to play through the game as a female protagonist with a totally different personality from the default (male) character. I wanted to explore what kind of story there could be if Katawa Shoujo had that sort of option as a reward for getting 100% completion.

So if there were DLC, that's obviously what I'd want to see: a route where you play as Iwanako. Or, really, any DLC content that featured her prominently. Iwanako is the Ulysses (in the Fallout sense, not the James Joyce sense) of Katawa Shoujo.
Aura
>has heterochromia

Post by Aura »

Munchenhausen wrote:What DLCs could you imagine being released?
It depends totally on whether we'd do it for money or for tons of money. It's not awfully hard to figure out what we should do if we wanted to cynically maximize KS's commercial potential.
<Aura> would you squeeze a warm PVC bottle between your thighs and call it "manaka-chan"
<Suriko> I would do it if it wouldn't be so hard to explain to my parents
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

Aura wrote: It's not awfully hard to figure out what we should do if we wanted to cynically maximize KS's commercial potential.
So basically...a Misha route! :lol:
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

A Pirate Pack. For 5 or 10$, all characters get pirate outfits and the text is altered to pirate speech.
"This be me, Hisao. Arrr of me."
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
d2r

Post by d2r »

FelOnyx wrote:A Pirate Pack. For 5 or 10$, all characters get pirate outfits and the text is altered to pirate speech.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

FelOnyx wrote:A Pirate Pack. For 5 or 10$, all characters get pirate outfits and the text is altered to pirate speech.
"Me favorite color be blue, matey"

Actually, I know alt outfits were mentioned, and I have to admit, playing through the full route and seeing Emi with a little pirate hat on after she decides on her career path would be fun.

What about a "Your Swimsuit Jumped Over Its Own Weathercock, You Liar!" mode, where everything is pure randomized nonsense?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"