Why does shizune hate lily?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: Why does shizune hate lily?

Post by brythain »

FelOnyx wrote:
Atario wrote:
metalangel wrote:There's a good piece of fanart showing Shizune using tactile to talk to Lilly (Lilly appears shocked by what she's being told)
Are we sure that's what's being depicted? Shizune seems to be lazily playing with Lilly's palm (in a yuri sort of way, thus the shock), to me. Of course that could just be wishful thinking! :mrgreen: But I was definitely under the impression that touch signing required both hands to be engaged…
Why not both? Or something between the two, at least. Given the blushing, it's clearly something yuri, but I've always thought that it was a love confession or something of the sort through tactile signing. Any inconsistencies with how tactile signing actually works can be chalked up to artistic licence/ignorance.
Maybe it's Shizune telling Lilly that Misha loves her and she's wondering if she can return that love or not.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

brythain wrote:Maybe it's Shizune telling Lilly that Misha loves her and she's wondering if she can return that love or not.
I can definitely see that being the case -- to me, Shizune looks somewhat sad in the picture (especially her eyes). If it is a confession, it's one she knows is doomed to be rejected. It could also be her asking Lilly for help following her bad ending, and Lilly being shocked that she's willing to do that. That would be embarrassing enough to cause them to blush as well, I'd say.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
brythain

Post by brythain »

dewelar wrote:
brythain wrote:Maybe it's Shizune telling Lilly that Misha loves her and she's wondering if she can return that love or not.
I can definitely see that being the case -- to me, Shizune looks somewhat sad in the picture (especially her eyes). If it is a confession, it's one she knows is doomed to be rejected. It could also be her asking Lilly for help following her bad ending, and Lilly being shocked that she's willing to do that. That would be embarrassing enough to cause them to blush as well, I'd say.
That's an interesting call. It relies on Lilly being around at that point in time, which is clearly a Shizune-ending divergence flag relative to the Lilly/Hanako timeline. There's fanfic potential there! :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

brythain wrote:
dewelar wrote:
That's an interesting call. It relies on Lilly being around at that point in time, which is clearly a Shizune-ending divergence flag relative to the Lilly/Hanako timeline. There's fanfic potential there! :)
Eh, I've already written fanfic to explain why Lilly only leaves in her own route, so that part's easy :wink:. However, Shizune being so desperate as to approach Lilly about her troubles with her only two friends, while not knowing why the troubles exist? Yeah, that's a potential classic waiting to happen :D.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
300BillionDegrees

Post by 300BillionDegrees »

Atario wrote:
metalangel wrote:There's a good piece of fanart showing Shizune using tactile to talk to Lilly (Lilly appears shocked by what she's being told)
Are we sure that's what's being depicted? Shizune seems to be lazily playing with Lilly's palm (in a yuri sort of way, thus the shock), to me. Of course that could just be wishful thinking! :mrgreen: But I was definitely under the impression that touch signing required both hands to be engaged…
They're using the Deafblind Manual Alphabet. That uses only one hand of the speaker touching the open hand of the listener. It's just A-Z plus Yes and No, so everything has to be spelled out, but it is a way for the two of them to communicate with each other. In the fanfic the image inspired, Shizune is confessing to Lilly.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

I'll look through my intervenor literature to see if there's any two handed methods that would work, but since Lilly is and likely always has been blind, the two handed technique (hands-on) wouldn't work since she wouldn't have the background in a visual language like sign to be able to understand it by movement.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

dewelar wrote:
Uh...Whose eyes are you looking at? O.o I see no sadness...
Atario

Post by Atario »

300BillionDegrees wrote:They're using the Deafblind Manual Alphabet. That uses only one hand of the speaker touching the open hand of the listener. It's just A-Z plus Yes and No
But… that's English. Wouldn't they be using something Japanese? :mrgreen:
Shizune is confessing to Lilly.
That's almost the least believable part of the whole thing :lol:
metalangel wrote:since Lilly is and likely always has been blind, the two handed technique (hands-on) wouldn't work since she wouldn't have the background in a visual language like sign to be able to understand it by movement.
Why wouldn't she understand movement just because she's blind?
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Charmant wrote:
dewelar wrote:
Uh...Whose eyes are you looking at? O.o I see no sadness...
*shrug* I do. Her whole face and posture say "resignation" to me. To my mind, if it were a confession, I'd expect she'd be using both of her hands to hold Lilly's rather than absent-mindedly tracing with one. This is Shizune, after all -- she'd never confess in such a nonchalant manner :wink:. YMMV, obviously.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

dewelar wrote:This is Shizune, after all -- she'd never confess in such a nonchalant manner :wink:. YMMV, obviously.
Maybe, but she'd probably pretend to be nonchalant just so she could act all aloof and unphased if the confession's rejected. :lol:
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Charmant wrote:
dewelar wrote:This is Shizune, after all -- she'd never confess in such a nonchalant manner :wink:. YMMV, obviously.
Maybe, but she'd probably pretend to be nonchalant just so she could act all aloof and unphased if the confession's rejected. :lol:
Or she's just luring Lilly into a trap for when she says yes.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Atario wrote: Why wouldn't she understand movement just because she's blind?
Do you want a serious answer? Beyond "visual language"?
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

metalangel wrote:
A blind person is still aware of their own body positioning.
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

dewelar wrote:
metalangel wrote:
A blind person is still aware of their own body positioning.
True. Otherwise they'd never successfully do anything.
Notguest

Post by Notguest »

Even people who have been blind since birth understand visual concepts like perspective. Understanding concepts like "moving hands" is much, much easier.

I imagine manual alphabet really sucks, since doing anything letter by letter takes forever. That's one thing that really stuck out at me in the fanfic mentioned. They're talking as if speaking normally, not signing everything letter by letter. The pauses and notes of surprise in the fanfic make no sense when you think about it.