Imagining voices for VN characters

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

san1111

Imagining voices for VN characters

Post by san1111 »

Toes the voice we imagine for VN characterscan influence our relationship with them.
I had this feeling because when I was playing KS I liked Shizune and Misha and I didn't like Rin, but now I'm watching a Let's Play video series and with the video creator's voiceovers, I feel the other way around, at least I like his Rin more than mine and I like less the Shizune/Misha duo.

Do you have any simmilar experiences?
Khalego

Re: Imagining voices for VN characters

Post by Khalego »

Voiceover easily ruins the characters for me.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
XcaaaL

Post by XcaaaL »

Khalego wrote:Voiceover easily ruins the characters for me.
Japanese voice actors mightn't be so bad depending on who did the voices.
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

XcaaaL wrote:
Possible. But it's not the language that ruins it. It's the voices. They never really fit when others do them.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

XcaaaL wrote:
I can't understand this. Maybe it's because I'm not used to the language, but Japanese voice actors always sound unfitting to me. Like, tomboys never sound rough enough, and emotions like fear never really sound so much afraid as they sound weirdly surprised.

Then there's the odd tendency to gasp at everything...
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
XcaaaL

Post by XcaaaL »

Khalego wrote:
XcaaaL wrote:
Possible. But it's not the language that ruins it. It's the voices. They never really fit when others do them.
Yeah, I can agree. Like the Katawa Seiyu project. I never really liked the idea of a project like that.
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

All those in favor of a merger... just let it happen, man.
megavipersnake

Post by megavipersnake »

Tough the voices, I do not hate the Katawa Seiyu project and sometimes the voices do not match up with what you had in mind. You kind of need to remind yourself that sound of the voices you always use in your imagination is always based on a reference. For example with Hisao I tried to reflect my own voice (Into English since I actually speak dutch back home) or use the voice of another character from another series I have heard the characters voice enough times. For example I used Light Yagami's voice (when he lost his memories and was not thinking about plotting against L) in my imagination (Sorry if you guys hate death note but it was the most recent thing I watched and the only voice I kind of reflected him on). It is someh

There is one big thing I have to give him credit for, I always found Kenji's dialogue lines funny and ridiculous and the voice actor did it spot on.

Edit: Sorry I did not saw the refer to the other thread.
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Well, I must say Katawa Seiyu had very good voice actors and actresses, as they all seemed to hit the characters spot on (BUT WHY IS LILLY AMERICAN OMG)

Except...

Hanako. Fukken Hanako. I always imagines her voice to be moderate; shy and quivery and in a mid-scale. And here, she's so incredibly high pitched

So yeah, voiceovers = ruining my image of my bestgirl waifu.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

*Tried to formulate a response while still making sense and not ramble on but kinda failed so let me just say this*

How would people feel if the cast from KS had voice actors from the beginning and KS was not just text based VN? Would you still say omg this or that voice actor/actress totally ruined it or it fits perfectlly?

Its not odd that we give voices of our own imagination to the KS cast that we think best fits them and sometimes this does not go along when we hear someone else's version of that KS character.
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

About Katawa Seiyu: I liked most of the voices. Emi in particular is good. I didn't like Lilly, though. I imagine her speaking to be very precise; the voice actress slurs her words somewhat.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Liminaut wrote:About Katawa Seiyu: I liked most of the voices. Emi in particular is good. I didn't like Lilly, though. I imagine her speaking to be very precise; the voice actress slurs her words somewhat.
Lilly was the one I was least okay with. She does a decent job, but she does doesn't strike me as being refined enough.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Let me get back home and see if I can upload some soundfiles of what I base their 'voice' from. It's in Japanese though, but more or less it's whar I imagine their voices to be :)
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

As promised. Sorry, I couldn't get better quality.

Lilly|Hanako|Emi|Rin|Misha

I even have a 'voice' if Shizune actually speak (or if she can speak, I imagine her voice like this)
Shizune
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story