The Official KS Headcanon Thread

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: The Official KS Headcanon Thread

Post by brythain »

dewelar wrote:
brythain wrote:
Charmant wrote:I still haven't read that new route...But I imagine it will ruin the fanfic I planned. :(
Only if a) you were going to write the same thing; b) you think of it as incontrovertible canon. :)
Or c) people kvetching about you not sticking to quasi-canon is extraordinarily bothersome to you :wink:.
It's especially ruinous when you write something and people tell you that what you wrote seems canon to them.
That could prevent you from ever writing another fanfic... :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

So help me if it's ever revealed that Rin's parents aren't a part of the yakuza.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:So help me if it's ever revealed that Rin's parents aren't a part of the yakuza.
No, they're naturalised Koreans who live on Tsushima, don't you know?
Her father is a playwright/poet and her mother is an actress.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

brythain wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:So help me if it's ever revealed that Rin's parents aren't a part of the yakuza.
Funny, since I hear they're from Hiroshima :wink:.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

dewelar wrote:
brythain wrote:
Godrinna?

*covertly opens Photoshop*
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

dewelar wrote:
brythain wrote:
Certainly explains a lot :lol:
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

brythain wrote:It's especially ruinous when you write something and people tell you that what you wrote seems canon to them.
That could prevent you from ever writing another fanfic... :D
In that case, I would try my damnedest to destroy their new canon.

My New Year canon is that Rin visits her parents' graves on the first of every year then retreats home to booze up and cry in a fetal position for hours on end in an outpouring of utter despair and survivor's guilt so powerful that it enables her to stay detached and spacey for the remainder of the year.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:
brythain wrote:
Valjean Lafitte wrote:The way I see it it's a game of pick-and-choose, where each person must decide where the line is drawn between game canon and developer opinion. For my own view of KS canon, I just choose to side with whatever Suriko's opinions are of the characters he created.
Then you'd have to treat Suriko as just another author, and that would mean that his take doesn't have to ruin your day, so have a happy new year! :)
Not my day, but my fic...maybe. ;)

I PM'd the whole story-behind-the-story to you, so please check your inbox. :)
Don't let it ruin your fic idea :) If you have a story to tell, then tell it!! I mean, I've already ignored what little bit was established on Saki and nobody seems to fault me for it.

Suriko's route is nice, but if you consider that to be THE canon on Miki and Suzu then you also have to consider Aura's take on Mutou and Hisao as canon...
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Actually got a few new headcanons after new year and a few inspiration from the 'random discussion' board.

During new year's shrine visit, the girls would wear their kimonos. Lilly's color sports a golden-brown color with a white lilly-esque hairpin, Hanako would sport a patterned dark blue one with her hair tied to a bun with a pin that was passed from her grandmother (a memento of sorts). Emi wears an apple green one, while Rin opted for casuals because she thinks it's a hassle. Shizune would bring out a bright red one that was passed down from her mother, while Misha will have a peach-colored one with a golden lining

Hisao wears his swaggervest. With winter coat.

...but since they're living in dormitories, they'd all probably go casual.

*note: summer yukatas and Kimonos are different.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
brythain

Post by brythain »

Eurobeatjester wrote:Suriko's route is nice, but if you consider that to be THE canon on Miki and Suzu then you also have to consider Aura's take on Mutou and Hisao as canon...
Nah, that's not quite logical. Aura wrote his eight pieces as 'writing exercises'. Suriko expressly stated this was non-canon. The others all have different takes on the canonicity (or lack thereof) of their writings, but all agree that they aren't canon. Even if X considers one such piece Y to be canon, the rest need not follow in canonicity. But at that point, it's X's headcanon, and X is welcome to whatever headcanon X chooses to believe in. :)
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

In my view that simply doesn't follow, regardless of what Suriko said about his story being on the same level of canon as Pedagogy. Pedagogy was clearly meant to be taken as a joke, whereas Miki's route is, as stated by Suriko, based on ideas he had during development of KS. Being the creator of Miki, I think he's in a good place to tell us about her, even in "fanfic" form. Pedagogy, on the other hand, was never meant to be taken seriously, and is too at odds with the game to even be considered semi-canon.

But if we still use Pedagogy to put all other dev fiction on the same level of fan fiction, then we should also disregard the canonicity of the Class 3-3 picture that told us Suzu and most of the class' names to begin with. According to Aura it wasn't meant to be canon, but he admitted a decent argument could be made for that position because...Suriko is the one who made the image. Which takes us back to square one. If we accept nothing outside of the game as canon, then Suzu, Haruhiko, Molly, Taro, etc., don't really have "canon" disabilities, or even names for that matter.
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
brythain

Post by brythain »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:IBut if we still use Pedagogy to put all other dev fiction on the same level of fan fiction, then we should also disregard the canonicity of the Class 3-3 picture that told us Suzu and most of the class' names to begin with. According to Aura it wasn't meant to be canon, but he admitted a decent argument could be made for that position because...Suriko is the one who made the image. Which takes us back to square one. If we accept nothing outside of the game as canon, then Suzu, Haruhiko, Molly, Taro, etc., don't really have "canon" disabilities, or even names for that matter.
I said nothing about accepting nothing outside the game as canon, though. Compare the 3-3 image with the Miki route: Suriko doesn't disavow the first but expressly disavows the second. In fact, Suriko says explicitly that it is based on a 'dusted off' 'old scenario plan' and implicitly that it's not to be bitched about re 'canon' because it's in the fanfic section. Silentcook's later edit (go back to the first page here to see) removes any hint that the Miki route is canonical in any way. However, as with some people and Scissorlips' Suzu pseudo route, you're quite welcome to treat it as headcanon.

Summary: if plausibly canon and not disavowed (plus has dev support for some canonicity), then status is ambiguous; if unambiguously disavowed, then unambiguously not canon.

This is why we're discussing it in the headcanon thread. :)
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

brythain wrote:
Valjean Lafitte wrote:IBut if we still use Pedagogy to put all other dev fiction on the same level of fan fiction, then we should also disregard the canonicity of the Class 3-3 picture that told us Suzu and most of the class' names to begin with. According to Aura it wasn't meant to be canon, but he admitted a decent argument could be made for that position because...Suriko is the one who made the image. Which takes us back to square one. If we accept nothing outside of the game as canon, then Suzu, Haruhiko, Molly, Taro, etc., don't really have "canon" disabilities, or even names for that matter.
I said nothing about accepting nothing outside the game as canon, though. Compare the 3-3 image with the Miki route: Suriko doesn't disavow the first but expressly disavows the second. In fact, Suriko says explicitly that it is based on a 'dusted off' 'old scenario plan' and implicitly that it's not to be bitched about re 'canon' because it's in the fanfic section. Silentcook's later edit (go back to the first page here to see) removes any hint that the Miki route is canonical in any way. However, as with some people and Scissorlips' Suzu pseudo route, you're quite welcome to treat it as headcanon.

Summary: if plausibly canon and not disavowed (plus has dev support for some canonicity), then status is ambiguous; if unambiguously disavowed, then unambiguously not canon.

This is why we're discussing it in the headcanon thread. :)
I just can't put Suriko's headcanon, if you want to call it that, on the same level as Scissorlips'. Scissorlips had nothing to do with the creation of those characters, whereas Suriko did; that's why I hold it to a much higher degree of canonicity. Even if the man himself denies it's canon, it's still representative of "his" Miki, and in my opinion that ought to count for something.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
brythain

Post by brythain »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:I just can't put Suriko's headcanon, if you want to call it that, on the same level as Scissorlips'. Scissorlips had nothing to do with the creation of those characters, whereas Suriko did; that's why I hold it to a much higher degree of canonicity. Even if the man himself denies it's canon, it's still representative of "his" Miki, and in my opinion that ought to count for something.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree. :)
On the point about Suriko vs Scissorlips, I agree in one specific way. It's Suriko's headcanon and thus reflective (even at some remove) from what was being thought during the gestation period. It would be expected to tie in a little more closely in some ways with how the other characters turned out in canon. However, I always remind myself of what kinds of other glimpses we've seen (no, I'm not specifying where or what) of that process (also having read through the entire Ask thread before), because that shows how tenuous the link can be.

So yes, it does count for something, to me. But it'll take me time to see how much it should count when compared with explicit canon. Cheers!
OremLK

Post by OremLK »

Something weird happened when I played Shizune's route--I started thinking of her as being a much sadder, lonelier person than perhaps she was intended to come across as, and I can't get rid of that perception, or shake the feeling that even after her good ending, she still had a lot to work through. During the scenes where you meet her dad and learn more about her childhood, I was having feels way out of line with the surface emotions of that part of the story. The parts with her dad were funny, but I'd get really weirdly emotional after them.

I'm not sure if this is at all in line with what was intended, but I started thinking of her as someone desperate to be loved (not necessarily romantically, just any kind of love) who can't figure out how to express it because her childhood basically never taught her how to communicate with anyone and she never had anybody who showed her genuine affection.