Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
megavipersnake
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:06 pm

Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by megavipersnake » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:57 pm

I get that Hanako personality is being shy and not liking other people because of the past. I have played Hanako's Route (only the good ending). I get it that Hisoa look passed her scars. Now my question is what if a person (for example an OC) have burn marks and go Yamaku and follow almost exactly the same path as Hisao. Would Hanako connect with (not necessarily better) because he has some visible burn scars? Or would it not matter?

User avatar
Zarys
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by Zarys » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:59 pm

She connect a bit with Hisao's Scars...obviously it would matter but she would no fell in love with the first scared guy she would see.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair

megavipersnake
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by megavipersnake » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks for the reply. it is good to know that at least she can connect with someone that has some scars but that the character just like Hisao has to engage the contact for the relationship to develop. I was not asking for that anyway.

User avatar
metalangel
Posts: 842
Joined: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:58 pm

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by metalangel » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:08 pm

megavipersnake wrote:I get that Hanako personality is being shy and not liking other people because of the past. I have played Hanako's Route (only the good ending). I get it that Hisoa look passed her scars. Now my question is what if a person (for example an OC) have burn marks and go Yamaku and follow almost exactly the same path as Hisao. Would Hanako connect with (not necessarily better) because he has some visible burn scars? Or would it not matter?
It's an interesting question. What if the other burned person wasn't as traumatized by what happened, what would Hanako think of someone who was heavily scarred too but hadn't become so withdrawn?

User avatar
Zarys
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by Zarys » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:10 pm

I don't know why i have writen this but since this thread is relevent :
I don't know why, but I like the idea of pairing Hanako with a OC who suffers from a serious skin disorder. (perhaps a severe form of psoriasis ? it's can be very socialy embarrassing and cause other problems: arthritis, heart failure ...)
The Japanese seem to have a particular problem with this kind of disease (Well, no only them, skin diseases always seem to be "disease", so afraid it was contagious, do not know what it is ... where burns are easily understandable and obviously not contagious), so this could give an interesting dynamic if he is more ostracized for his appareance than her. (force her to be in a more dominant position than with Hisao)
This may be controversial, but the fact that being disabled does not make you magically tolerant is a theme that interests me : amputation does not change the bad habits that are at when you meet for the first time a large-burned for example. (although being considered "different" tends to make you more tolerant)
So I find it would be interesting that Hanako would be instinctively disgusted by him at the beginning; as a mirror of what people may feel when they see her.

Of course he must have a very different behavior for don't be a male Hanako or a Hisao 2 with a different disability and a focus on his difference from the normal people.

It's certainly stupid because I have underrestimate the tolerance of the Yamaku's Students, but if you find it interresting.
Last edited by Zarys on Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair

User avatar
Zykes
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by Zykes » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:11 pm

I could see that Hanako would be understanding of the scenario that OC would be dealing with. But I feel (based on the VN) that Hanako had an attraction to Hisao at first sight and when he was clearly not focusing on her scars, things progressed forward to lead to the path it did.

I wouldn't believe that Hanako would go with someone how had burn scars as well off the back. I think there is more meaning for someone who is in a different situation being comfortable and liking Hanako than someone who is in the same spot as her.
"I look down as I step forward, passing by all those that stare, and hold fear in my heart. I stop and look up, I realize I am not afraid of what others think of me. I am afraid of of what I think of myself."

Image
Staggering Harmony - OC Fanfic

megavipersnake
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:06 pm

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by megavipersnake » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Zykes wrote:I could see that Hanako would be understanding of the scenario that OC would be dealing with. But I feel (based on the VN) that Hanako had an attraction to Hisao at first sight and when he was clearly not focusing on her scars, things progressed forward to lead to the path it did.

I wouldn't believe that Hanako would go with someone how had burn scars as well off the back. I think there is more meaning for someone who is in a different situation being comfortable and liking Hanako than someone who is in the same spot as her.
I kind of had that Idea as well, I kind of felt too that Hanako and Hisoa clicked on the first go, granted it could be different depending on your choices you make in the novel. I maybe wanted to write such a situation out but unlike Hanako burn marks something more subtle like a 'experimental prosthetic Leg" and burn marks on his right hand. You get the Idea burn marks that are slightly visible or more directly into the face (Think of it Like Zuko from Avatar the Last Airbender to get the picture)

User avatar
Khalego
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by Khalego » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:17 pm

I would hope not. She hates Hisao and Lilly for focusing so much on her (emotional) scars, the idea that she'd connect with a guy just because he's scarred is hypocritical at best.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."

User avatar
Zarys
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by Zarys » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:19 pm

Khalego wrote:I would hope not. She hates Hisao and Lilly for focusing so much on her (emotional) scars, the idea that she'd connect with a guy just because he's scarred is hypocritical at best.
Glad that nobody here said that.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair

User avatar
CoffeeDrive
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by CoffeeDrive » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:35 pm

Hanako is a girl just like any other deep down, perhaps sweeter and more caring than most due to her own trauma, but that dosent deny the fact that she probably wouldnt see scars as "Attractive" and because of how she is, she probably wouldnt "Connect" with someone who had scars just for that reason either, like Hisao when he shows Hanako his scar, it only worked because they already had a deep connection.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl

User avatar
Khalego
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by Khalego » Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:37 pm

Zarys wrote:
Khalego wrote:I would hope not. She hates Hisao and Lilly for focusing so much on her (emotional) scars, the idea that she'd connect with a guy just because he's scarred is hypocritical at best.
Glad that nobody here said that.
Somebody here did say that. You just quoted it. :? Edit: Boldface is hard to see sometimes. I see now you're referring to "the idea that she'd connect with a guy just because he's scarred..." in which case...Somebody said that too. OP said that, right here:

"Would Hanako connect with [a guy] because he has some visible burn scars?"
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."

User avatar
Umber
Posts: 989
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 6:59 pm
Location: California

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by Umber » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:03 pm

Maybe not connect, but show some interest towards at the very least. IIRC no one else at Yamaku suffers from burn scars, at least in her year, otherwise someone would have referenced him/her by now.
-An occasional art thread.
pig dissections and cadaver examinations.

Guest Poster
Posts: 1266
Joined: Tue Jul 10, 2012 12:42 am

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by Guest Poster » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:08 pm

It's an interesting question. What if the other burned person wasn't as traumatized by what happened, what would Hanako think of someone who was heavily scarred too but hadn't become so withdrawn?
My first hunch is that it'd make her feel worse about herself.

(Obviously others can shake this kind of thing right off. Only weak and pathetic people like myself would make such a big deal about it.)
I would hope not. She hates Hisao and Lilly for focusing so much on her (emotional) scars, the idea that she'd connect with a guy just because he's scarred is hypocritical at best.
I'm not really convinced she secretly hates them. The one time she said that was a pretty out-of-the-ordinary situation.

That said, I think she'd be curious about another scarred person, though probably too shy to approach him. I think she'd have an easier time connecting with someone who shares some of her past. That's kind of why she and Hisao connected so quickly. It wasn't so much the physical scars, but the life experiences. Both used to be normal kids with only average social skills with only a small circle of friends. Both ended up hospitalized for a long time after a bad day threw their lives down the crapper and they came out of it friendless and disillusioned in their fellow man. Both became bookworms as a result of their condition. They don't immediately find that out about each other, but I personally believe they kind of sensed that about each other pretty quickly.

So I think the threshold would be lower, but (knowing Hanako) still pretty high.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.

User avatar
Zarys
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by Zarys » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:11 pm

Yeah I don't think that she will be less shy with a scared guy but she would not reject someone for that.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair

User avatar
Khalego
Posts: 215
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:38 pm

Re: Would Hanako connect with someone that shows burn marks?

Post by Khalego » Sat Aug 23, 2014 6:16 pm

Guest Poster wrote:
It's an interesting question. What if the other burned person wasn't as traumatized by what happened, what would Hanako think of someone who was heavily scarred too but hadn't become so withdrawn?
My first hunch is that it'd make her feel worse about herself.

(Obviously others can shake this kind of thing right off. Only weak and pathetic people like myself would make such a big deal about it.)
I would hope not. She hates Hisao and Lilly for focusing so much on her (emotional) scars, the idea that she'd connect with a guy just because he's scarred is hypocritical at best.
I'm not really convinced she secretly hates them. The one time she said that was a pretty out-of-the-ordinary situation.

That said, I think she'd be curious about another scarred person, though probably too shy to approach him. I think she'd have an easier time connecting with someone who shares some of her past. That's kind of why she and Hisao connected so quickly. It wasn't so much the physical scars, but the life experiences. Both used to be normal kids with only average social skills with only a small circle of friends. Both ended up hospitalized for a long time after a bad day threw their lives down the crapper and they came out of it friendless and disillusioned in their fellow man. Both became bookworms as a result of their condition. They don't immediately find that out about each other, but I personally believe they kind of sensed that about each other pretty quickly.

So I think the threshold would be lower, but (knowing Hanako) still pretty high.
People are at their most honest when their friendly inhibitions are in tatters. Things said in anger aren't improv'd on the spot, they're just the truth dug up from the hidden places in people. I'm convinced some part of her certainly hated them, or else it wouldn't have been said.

She'd certainly be curious but curiosity is hardly a connection. And of course, she'd still have to work up the nerve to pursue that curiosity...
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."

Post Reply