Long term relationship with Rin? Be honest...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Khalego

Re: Long term relationship with Rin? Be honest...

Post by Khalego »

KeiichiO wrote:"If you're not willing to give it your all, you might as well be dead."
That's far too excessive to be anything other than asinine. It's also pretty illogical...

@Harvest: She really isn't that difficult to crack. The problem is having the patience to even bother. :lol: I have no such patience, so I'd just bail for Lilly or Akira.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Khalego wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:"If you're not willing to give it your all, you might as well be dead."
That's far too excessive to be anything other than asinine. It's also pretty illogical...
How? If you're not going to put effort into something, then what's the point?
brythain

Post by brythain »

KeiichiO wrote:
Khalego wrote:
Effort is one thing, 'all' is quite another. In the real world, there is much real competition for your 'all'. It's like friendships; if you have more than one friend, pretty obviously you're not going to give them each your 'all'. As for 'if you're not going to put effort into something, then what's the point?'—clearly, you have to put non-zero effort in, or else you wouldn't be doing anything at all… :)
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Zykes

Post by Zykes »

A feel that a dark creature is now lurking in the thread... :o
"I look down as I step forward, passing by all those that stare, and hold fear in my heart. I stop and look up, I realize I am not afraid of what others think of me. I am afraid of of what I think of myself."

Staggering Harmony - OC Fanfic
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

KeiichiO wrote:
Khalego wrote:

"If you're not willing to give it your all, you might as well be dead."

If I only give half effort, that isn't my all. Via that philosophy there, half effort is equivalent to no effort at all ergo "you might as well be dead [and thus putting no effort anywhere, what with being a corpse and all]". That equivalence is simply illogical. And effort, quite frankly, just isn't an all-or-nothing deal.
Last edited by Khalego on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
How to dispose of an unwanted character: "As much as it pains me, Lilly will just have to be trampled to death at a blind-deaf pep rally."
HarvestmanMan

Post by HarvestmanMan »

brythain wrote:
KeiichiO wrote: How? If you're not going to put effort into something, then what's the point?
Effort is one thing, 'all' is quite another. In the real world, there is much real competition for your 'all'. It's like friendships; if you have more than one friend, pretty obviously you're not going to give them each your 'all'. As for 'if you're not going to put effort into something, then what's the point?'—clearly, you have to put non-zero effort in, or else you wouldn't be doing anything at all… :)
Yes, I agree with what was said here. "Giving your all" implies that you're dedicating as much time and resources to something as possible, and it can certainly both be unhealthy (for either party) or just not worth it.
Khalego wrote:@Harvest: She really isn't that difficult to crack. The problem is having the patience to even bother. :lol: I have no such patience, so I'd just bail for Lilly or Akira.
Just to make sure - you have played her route, right?

It's pretty obvious that she is quite intelligent, creative, and thoughtful, but it sometimes seems like her ways of expressing those talents are incomprehensible to anyone other than her. The desire to interpret those and find out what her expression of herself means is the patience you need, I suppose.
Current Number of Fanfics Cooked: 2
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

That is indeed where patience comes into it. :lol: Relevant: Rin gives her all to art and in doing so drives a wedge between herself and Hisao (and everyone/thing else) and starves herself. And also fails in her artistic endeavor anyway because the strain cracks her like an egg.
Last edited by Khalego on Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Khalego wrote:If I only give half effort, that isn't my all. Via that philosophy there, half effort is equivalent to no effort at all ergo "you might as well be dead [and thus putting no effort anywhere, what with being a corpse and all]". That equivalence is simply illogical. And effort, quite frankly, just isn't an all-or-nothing deal.
It was paraphrased. Don't take it so literally.
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

KeiichiO wrote:
Khalego wrote:If I only give half effort, that isn't my all. Via that philosophy there, half effort is equivalent to no effort at all ergo "you might as well be dead [and thus putting no effort anywhere, what with being a corpse and all]". That equivalence is simply illogical. And effort, quite frankly, just isn't an all-or-nothing deal.
Paraphrased or not, unless you just mangled the original sentiment in the process, said sentiment remains illogical.
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Khalego wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:
Paraphrased or not, unless you just mangled the original sentiment in the process, said sentiment remains illogical.
Nope, it was to that effect, and I still personally think it's a good philosophy. Just harshly phrased. It helps me accomplish things, and that's good enough for me.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Mirage_GSM wrote:Well, when I was 19, I probably thought the same way, but I've since learned that sometimes you just can't make it work no matter the lengths you go to.
Something I wish I'd learned about a decade and a half sooner.
Zykes wrote:A feel that a dark creature is now lurking in the thread... :o
From the bottom of a dark Scottish lake…
Last edited by Atario on Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Khalego

Post by Khalego »

Atario wrote:From the bottom of a dark Scottish lake…
And it was about that time I realized, that wasn't no Girl Scout. It was the goddamned Loch Ness Monster! And I said "What do you WANT from me, Monster?!" and he leans down real close and says..."I need about tree fiddy." GOD DAMMIT LOCH NESS MONSTER I AIN'T GIVIN' YOU NO GODDAMN TREE FIDDY!
Khalego's Fanfic Tips
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Going back just a bit...
HarvestmanMan wrote:Here's the deal. I believe that communication is one of the most vital aspects of any relationship that's worth putting time and effort into.

Communication with Rin is a pain in the ass and a half.

Unless you've got personality quirks just like Rin's, I don't see how it could possibly work.
See, here's the thing about long-term relationships: they require a degree of compromise. Both people would be making some effort to comprehend the other, as well as become more comprehensible to the other. If a couple years go by, and Rin is still being opaque to the same degree that she was on day one...well, then She's Just Not That Into You.

That said...I find Rin to be pretty comprehensible already. Others have already said what I'd have to say regarding making efforts to accommodate her physical limitations (of which I have some of my own). The bigger obstacle to my having a long-term relationship with her is that I'd have trouble falling into the pace of her life. I've never been the type that could spend hours just watching clouds, especially when I was in high school. I don't know that that's something that could be overcome.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
slagman5

Post by slagman5 »

dewelar wrote:Going back just a bit...
HarvestmanMan wrote:Here's the deal. I believe that communication is one of the most vital aspects of any relationship that's worth putting time and effort into.

Communication with Rin is a pain in the ass and a half.

Unless you've got personality quirks just like Rin's, I don't see how it could possibly work.
See, here's the thing about long-term relationships: they require a degree of compromise. Both people would be making some effort to comprehend the other, as well as become more comprehensible to the other. If a couple years go by, and Rin is still being opaque to the same degree that she was on day one...well, then She's Just Not That Into You.

That said...I find Rin to be pretty comprehensible already. Others have already said what I'd have to say regarding making efforts to accommodate her physical limitations (of which I have some of my own). The bigger obstacle to my having a long-term relationship with her is that I'd have trouble falling into the pace of her life. I've never been the type that could spend hours just watching clouds, especially when I was in high school. I don't know that that's something that could be overcome.
Good point about her pace. If you're not into that, then it's not likely you'd find too much in common with her. While I don't really make it a habit to sit and do nothing all day, I care more about the company I'm with than what I'm doing, so I really wouldn't mind just being with her even if we're not doing anything. But if I wanted to go do something, I'm sure she wouldn't hold me back. Through out the story, she would go out to the city with you, walk out to the woods with you, etc. So I really don't see that as a problem for me. Even if I'm doing something active that she might not be able to participate in, I'm sure she won't mind just hanging out there watching the clouds or painting while I do my thing. :-)
Disposition

Post by Disposition »

Wasn't a big fan of Hiaso in Rin's route.

Rin was the only character I was able to make a "connection" with, so, with that being said yes, I would be up for it.

A bit of a personal before I get to the simple explanation:
I met a girl like Rin once, this was prior to me playing the game, we were very similar, but, she couldn't deal with the age gap (honestly, it probably would have been an issue, I'm 19 and she was 26.) Eventually we ended up parting ways. This part is going to be fairly difficult for me to explain as I'm not very understanding of emotions, nor do they play a large role in my life. When I met Rin, I think a precursor of my mind could potentially have made the connection that maybe they were the same entity, and my brain since then has flooded with the continuous thoughts of helplessness, and unease. I made the connection that music would be my devotion from then on, I had always loved it, but, half-assed my way and maybe that was one of the reasons for my inability to find happiness, since then I've been fully devoted to playing the bass, and things are starting to look better, but, still, like before, I cannot get over Rin, I am not interested in anybody besides her, and she doesn't "exist". Well, anyways, I believe it goes hand in hand with the fact that it wasn't just infatuation with the initial women I was after, and now my brain is scattering trying to find something to hold onto, to keep me in my backwards realm of sanity, but, it's struggling to do so, I'm falling further and further into the pit of despair, I've entered in a race that must be won, but, there is no race. I hope one day I can get this past me, and maybe have a chance at happiness.

With that being said, my life needs answers to questions that my soul cannot comprehend, all logic is lost within it, I can't just talk myself back, I've gone too far, so, if possible, my answer would be yes.

Not sure why I wrote this, but, this can double as an introduction. I'm Anthony, 19 years of age, I play the bass guitar, my main influence being Primus, and I am lost within my own mind.
Last edited by Disposition on Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
INTP Enneagram 5w4

"We are eternal, all this pain is an illusion."

"Humpty Dumpty sat on a wall
Humpty Dumpty had a great fall
All the kings horses and all the kings men
Couldn't put Humpty together again."