What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
Stan
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 pm
Location: Romania
Contact:

What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Stan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:50 am

Is justified by her being a lesbian?

This might sound crazy, it might even sound crazy wrong, but I've read about it and found out that people in Japan are split when it comes to giving LGBT their rights. I also found out that LGBT people are not protected state-wise. Maybe the city in which Yamaku Academy is located is a hateful community?

Anyways, I want to see what other people think about this.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by SpunkySix » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:15 am

Huh. Could they even do that?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

Stan
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 pm
Location: Romania
Contact:

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Stan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:21 am

SpunkySix wrote:Huh. Could they even do that?
I'm not sure. I'm not necessarily implying that going to a school for the disabled was the only option for her, but what if she was, for example, pinned down by her family to join Yamaku? You never know.

User avatar
Zarys
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Zarys » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:24 am

Misha is in Yamaku because she wants to become a sign language teacher and she hoped that people would be more tolerant there. (because for one reason or another, she was hated)

But maybe her homosexuality is part of the reasons why she has been hated in his former school.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair

Stan
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 pm
Location: Romania
Contact:

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Stan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:26 am

Zarys wrote:Misha is in Yamaku because she wants to become a sign language teacher and she hoped that people would be more tolerant there. (because for one reason or another, she was hated)
Yeah, I know she tells you that but I just thought she was being dodgy about her relationship with Shizune

User avatar
Zarys
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Zarys » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:31 am

Just a question, why in this kind of debating, the Japanese are considered as particularly horrible and intolerant people ? There are not only in Japan where the LGBTQ people are poorly considered.
I'm not sure it would be as many comments like this if it was a western country.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair

User avatar
KeiichiO
Posts: 1757
Joined: Wed Feb 06, 2013 6:07 pm
Location: Lost in the wonky province of my mind.

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by KeiichiO » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:32 am

It seems there are only so many discussions you can have about KS...

Here's my thought on the topic:

No. It doesn't matter if some people are intolerant jerks, the world doesn't work that way. Putting a lesbian girl in a school for the physically disabled is like putting a person with mild autism in a padded cell, only more ludicrous because being gay has nothing to do with physical ailments.

Stan
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Aug 04, 2014 7:10 pm
Location: Romania
Contact:

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Stan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:34 am

Zarys wrote:Just a question, why in this kind of debating, the Japanese are considered as particularly horrible and intolerant people ? There are not only in Japan where the LGBTQ people are poorly considered.
I'm not sure it would be as many comments like this if it was a western country.
This has nothing to do with Japanese people, I thought I said so in my first post. :lol: I'm just saying that, maybe, the place in which KS takes place is an intolerant one. We see intolerant places every day. There are villages, towns with a Nazi majority for example.

User avatar
Zarys
Posts: 660
Joined: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:27 am

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Zarys » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:37 am

KeiichiO wrote:It seems there are only so many discussions you can have about KS...

Here's my thought on the topic:

No. It doesn't matter if some people are intolerant jerks, the world doesn't work that way. Putting a lesbian girl in a school for the physically disabled is like putting a person with mild autism in a padded cell, only more ludicrous because being gay has nothing to do with physical ailments.
Yes i agreed, even if I think that the fact she goes VOLUNTARILY to Yamaku is maybe linked to her homosexuality. (In the the sense that she was hated in his old school no known reasons, and her homosexuality could be the reason)

A little like Hanako who don't really need to go to a school for disabled people, but go there because she hopes to find more tolerance. (she would certainly more abused in a normal school)
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3495
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by brythain » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:44 am

Stan wrote:
Zarys wrote:Just a question, why in this kind of debating, the Japanese are considered as particularly horrible and intolerant people ? There are not only in Japan where the LGBTQ people are poorly considered.
I'm not sure it would be as many comments like this if it was a western country.
This has nothing to do with Japanese people, I thought I said so in my first post. :lol: I'm just saying that, maybe, the place in which KS takes place is an intolerant one. We see intolerant places every day. There are villages, towns with a Nazi majority for example.
A very basic starting point: [HERE]

Followed by: [THIS]
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
Oddball
Posts: 2817
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Oddball » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:13 am

The devs have said that something like that actually was the original idea for Misha. Her parents found out she was a lesbian and sent her to Yamaku as an attempt to cure her.

Then the devs realized that it was a stupid idea and dropped it.


... or something to that effect. I might be remembering it wrong.
Not Dead Yet

User avatar
CoffeeDrive
Posts: 617
Joined: Mon May 05, 2014 4:01 pm

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by CoffeeDrive » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:14 am

Oddball wrote:The devs have said that something like that actually was the original idea for Misha. Her parents found out she was a lesbian and sent her to Yamaku as an attempt to cure her.

Then the devs realized that it was a stupid idea and dropped it.


... or something to that effect. I might be remembering it wrong.
Well, considering it is Japan, if she was the daughter of some rich buisnessman wanting to marry her off...
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl

User avatar
Broomhead
Posts: 372
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:44 am
Location: Castle in the Sky

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by Broomhead » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:48 am

I think it's a valid question, one I was thinking about asking, but I couldn't think about doing it in both a respectful and direct manner. I'd imagine that Japan is going to be much more accepting of homosexuality soon, if you look at some of the culture trends that I've been hearing about. (I don't live there, so this is second hand.) Part of the reason that the Japanese population is declining is because of the males acting more (stereotypical) female than is expected, and visa versa. Thus, females would normally want a more aggressive man and and the males want a more understanding female. This is not true overall from what I hear, just a culture phenomena in the majority. An easy explanation would be that the "gender"chemicals are in different distributions.

In breif: The males may be receiving more estrogen and the females may be receiving more testosterone, which may be linked to homosexuality if a person has more of the opposite gender's hormone during pregnancy (more of that chemical in the womb, etc.)

Thus the voting pool may be more and more homosexual as the years roll by.

Okay, that topic aside, I think that the wikipedia articles Brythian linked (hat tip for that) show that Japan may be slightly discriminatory against same-sex legally (age of consent is different, wording of the law) we must also understand that Japan is a very old country. America has some similar issues in its constitution because it was written by slave owners who don't live in the 2000's where gay rights are an issue rather than states rights. However, popular culture seems to mark it a non-issue (Transgender Politician in 2003, politician "coming out" during residency in 2005, Politician who was openly gay elected in 2011, media icons who are openly homosexual [Although mostly gay].

So I'd think the answer would depend heavily on her family, but if I had to guess, it would've been only a partial reason, and if it was, it was made by Misha herself, rather than family forcing her. Of course, that is assuming about a fictional character based on an outsider's limited research to the matter. Now, I have often wondered if it is possible to attend Yamaku without a disability, but I think you can looking at some of the dialogue in the game.

Edit: Just played Lilly's route for a bit, you can attend without a disability.

This is all outsider speculation made by a layman on all topics, so I'd love to be proven wrong, or right, by someone with more experience and learning on the matter.

KeiichiO: America's much bigger than Japan, and we were still discriminating against 50% of the population until 1920, which makes us less than 100 years legally tolerant, to say nothing of the social issues still lingering on the subject. So it isn't unheard of for a very minor majority (2-5 people in a family by American standards) to be willing to do such a thing to a child. If it's possible to go with Yamaku without a clinical disability, then if her parents felt it was best for her to go there, then she could be sent there. But that's just my speculation on the matter.
Just for an extra pip of information, Japan granted female voting rights 26 years after America did, so that may provide some framing for my comment about America.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.

User avatar
ogorhan
Posts: 205
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2014 8:09 pm
Location: World of Kancolle

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by ogorhan » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:37 pm

Wasnt it already confirmed that one day Misha broke her nail and she was sent there :lol:

Cuz I swear we had proof of that from a dev.

But eh no, I dont think that Misha being a lesbian did have something to do with her going to Yamaku and we dont even know if she had feeling for the same sex from before she came to Yamaku.
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.

User avatar
FelOnyx
Posts: 234
Joined: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:50 pm
Location: Connecticut

Re: What if Misha's presence at Yamaku...

Post by FelOnyx » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:26 pm

I remember it was said somewhere that one of Misha's reasons for wanting to go to Yamaku was to get away from bullying elsewhere to a place she thought would be more tolerant, but I can't remember if that was actually in the VN or just something someone said on the Forums. It does make sense though. Either way, she wasn't sent to Yamaku, but chose to go, and whatever her secondary reasons were, the main one was to learn Sign Language.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.

Post Reply