Have you donated to a charity after playing Katawa Shoujo?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Xolf

Have you donated to a charity after playing Katawa Shoujo?

Post by Xolf »

(in advance: apologies if this has been asked before and I've missed it; I did find a thread discussing what people would pay for Katawa Shoujo, and a few folk in that mentioned donating to a charity, but never which).

As I imagine most folk are well aware, 4LS crafted Katawa Shoujo in their own time, with money studiously kept out of the equation. As the FAQ says,
Q: I want to donate to Four Leaf Studios. How can I do this?
A: We will not be accepting donations for a variety of reasons. Instead, please donate to a charity of your choice; they need it a lot more than we do.
So mostly out of curiosity, I wonder - how many folk have been inspired to do just that, and in particular, what charity/charities did you pick (I'm not really interested in how much people donated - I have faith in folk to donate whatever's a reasonable amount to them)?

Personally, and perhaps far too predictably, I donated to the Royal National Institute for the Blind, which is my country's main charity supporting those with sight loss. Since they have the facility to make a donation in memory of someone... I'm sure you can all guess the name I filled in.

How about you?
ParagonTerminus

Re: Have you donated to a charity after playing Katawa Shouj

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Ha, now wait until some random woman somewhere gets it and asks "who dahell donated money for me"

Anyways, I would probably donate money to a fire brigade, if it were not for the fact that I'm not doing overly well in terms of money at the moment...
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

I never donated to a chartiy directly, but I did act as a translator for Deaf students at my uni.
I mean, i was doing that pre-KS, but KS made me want to continue more.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

I like the intention, but I think that there is something a bit disturbing with the "I like a fictional character who is a large burnt, i will give money for firefighters or the large-burned service !" :?
I don't know, it seems a bit simplistic for real people with disabilities to be suddenly interested in them because we played game with disabled;
it seems a bit false for me.
I am not saying that this game can not make more tolerant, but I find that guilt if I did something related to disability only for having playing a game.

But maybe I see it in the wrong way. :P
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Zarys wrote:I like the intention, but I think that there is something a bit disturbing with the "I like a fictional character who is a large burnt, i will give money for firefighters or the large-burned service !" :?
I don't know, it seems a bit simplistic for real people with disabilities to be suddenly interested in them because we played game with disabled;
it seems a bit false for me.
I am not saying that this game can not make more tolerant, but I find that guilt if I did something related to disability only for having playing a game.

But maybe I see it in the wrong way. :P
The ends usually justify the means. Who cares why we're donating to burn victims if we're donating to burn victims? You can't think of a guy as a bad person if he just gave you a bunch of money, even if he only gave you the money to be seen as a good person.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

It's just that the people become more sympathetic when you find out more about them. I don't know any amputees personally, but after playing this it's like, "Huh, I see how this could be a struggle in real life" and it gets you thinking.

Anybody know of any good charities for that sort of thing?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Bruxae

Post by Bruxae »

I haven't donated anything specifically after playing Katawa Shoujo, I do however donate regularly anyway - since long before I played/read it.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

SpunkySix wrote: Anybody know of any good charities for that sort of thing?
In Canada we have The War Amps, I don't know what the equivalent in NY would be.

I won a fun little contest on another forum where the prize was some DVDs. The problem was UK forum, Canada me, so in lieu of the DVDs I asked the equivalent be donated to the Bob Rumball Foundation for the Deaf.
Potato

Post by Potato »

I donate to charity every time I buy a Humble Bundle. But it's got nothing to do with KS.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

I don't donate anything to any disability ones, though I donate to WaterAid and sometimes RSPB if they're running a specific campaign I'm interested in. I also work in an elderly rehabilitation home now, which although I concede the money is nice (and fairly necessary right now), I enjoy the philanthropic side of it as well.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

I almost always have zero dollars, sooooooo~...
tansub

Post by tansub »

I just did it last weekend. I donated to the monks in a buddhist temple close to my city (I'm exchange student in Thailand). They give this money to poor children studying in a school nearby. I guess that if they don't have this money, they'll be forced to work very young and won't have a chance to make studies.

The donation is not related with disability, but it's Katawa Shoujo that reminded me how important it is to be kind towards other human beings. Not that I used to spit on other people, but I would not have made any donation.

Also, this is not about donation, but I just met a mentally handicapped guy in my school. He gets heavily bullied. Before playing the game, I guess I would have simply ignored his existence, but now whenever I get an occasion I try to talk with him. I doubt he would need money, I think that for some people getting some attention is way better.

(excuse my imperfect english, I hope that my message is understandable)
LordMarluxia
Location: My body in Southwestern Europe, my mind in Wonderland.

Post by LordMarluxia »

Like Potato said... HUMBLE FUCKING BUNDLE!

Seriously now... I never went right ahead and donated straight to a charity. I don't even have enough for me...
But I always donate when the charity people come to me in the supermarket and in the shopping mall.
Reading: Kafka on the Shore - Haruki Murakami; Fractured - Karin Slaughter
Playing: Sniper Ghost Warrior 2; Far Cry 3; Dragon's Crown

Cat: "Where are you going?" Alice: "Which way should I go?"
Cat: "That depends on where you are going." Alice: "I don’t know."
Cat: "Then it doesn’t matter which way you go."
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

We have a saying "Charity keeps death at bay." I donate regulary, and have been well before KS.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

I volunteered on charity work...does that count?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story