Jigoro and his opinion of disabled

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Zarys

Jigoro and his opinion of disabled

Post by Zarys »

When I played Shizune Route, I was convinced that Jigoro will made ​​derogatory remarks about people with disabilities. (I feel like that the line where he say something about Yamaku's students but is finally just a remark about their laziness is a bit of a joke ?)
It's just a form of self-censorship ? because a real discriminator would have been shocking ? the antique shopkeeper doesn't really count, he represents the average response towards disabled people (And Hisao's response before his heart attack), he seems sincerely try to don't focus on Hanako's scars, but can't watch her without doing so; this is not the good way to act, but it's hard to really blame him because he seems to have some true sympathy for her, he don't even pity her, but he has nothing against her and he is just no able to act normally. (This does not reduce the injustice, but Hisao to do the same at the beginning, and this reaction is a kind of instinct face injury, and some people have a stronger instinct than the others*; it is almost always necessary to be accustomed to act normal; this is what is sad with it: it is very unfair to those who suffer from the gaze of the other ... but this is often not really because people are mean that they react like that;
of course there a like a specter in the attitude between acceptance and intolerance, contempt and pity (Yes it is also not good, but difficult to don't feel pity) ...which generally depends on the attitude of a person to the others but but I think it is hypocritical to criticize someone on his first reaction except if he is intellectually offensive (laugh after the fact,ect..) because it's not very controllable and dared to claim to be 100% sure to respond well in real life while the game is still very soft; real-life burns can really be very hard to watch the first time)

*I know people who simply don't know how to get used to these things because they are more impressionable, but they are not more intolerant than some people who are naturally hardly shocked; of course they are also people who don't have a violent instinctive reaction but just make fun of people who are different (or have a conscious reaction too bad wich is not justified by the impact they may feel), I don't idealize anyone

Or about Jigoro, one of his rare qualities is that he is unable to discriminate against someone because he is very demanding of everyone ?
He will not make efforts (even for his daughter) but never judge someone less able than the others for these reasons ?
Or maybe, even Jigoro has standards ?
Maybe it's a cliche to believe that a passive-aggressive person is necessarily racist, discriminating, sexist, ect ...?
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Munchenhausen

Re: Jigoro and his opinion of disabled

Post by Munchenhausen »

I think it's just a slice of disappointment about his Daughter's deafness that he can't really do anything about. He can't exactly blame his daughter for being born deaf, but at the same time he can't just ignore these feelings. Plus his wife came down with a bad case of dead.

Rather than focussing these emotions solely at Shizune, he kinda just spreads it out to everyone, especially at people close to him and other disabled people.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Munchenhausen wrote:I think it's just a slice of disappointment about his Daughter's deafness that he can't really do anything about. He can't exactly blame his daughter for being born deaf, but at the same time he can't just ignore these feelings. Plus his wife came down with a bad case of dead.

Rather than focussing these emotions solely at Shizune, he kinda just spreads it out to everyone, especially at people close to him and other disabled people.
I would also be an arsehole with a nuclear temper if my wife died.

Well... If I had one.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

How do you know she's dead ?
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

Zarys wrote:How do you know she's dead ?
That's a good point, actually :P My memory is that of a goldfish, but I can't remember whether or not Mrs Hakamichi's fate was made canon.

Might well be my headcanon that she ran out of HP, but it would explain his temperament methinks :3
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Zarys wrote:How do you know she's dead ?
He doesn't. His wife is never mentioned in the game. The only references to her at a are a couple of pictures in the Shimmie.
Not Dead Yet
Steinherz

Post by Steinherz »

Really, Jigoro doesn't seem to discriminate people with physical disabilities. He's a bit of an asshole, but he doesn't seem that bad.
I write take a look, would you kindly?
I also draw, kind of.
KeiichiO wrote:You shall now, and forever be known as, "Steinherz, The Great".
Oddball wrote:It's an obvious mistake. Both are disfigured orphans that read alot and both wear green skirts.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Despite being a huge jerk about it, Jigoro does have a few good points.

Shizune does need to learn to communicate better with people. Now she might not be capable of talking like he wants her to, but that doesn't change the fact that her communication skills are horrible. She admits this herself.

Also, the student council really should be more than three people. Maybe then they wouldn't have to cheat on their paperwork to get things done.
Not Dead Yet
TexasRanger

Post by TexasRanger »

I think that Jigoro is the person that is the least discriminatory (is that a word?) towards disabled people in the whole game and in most works of fiction. He simply demands the best from anyone, disabled or not, as he does not think a disability should be an impediment to people, and the only impediment to people achieving their goals is themselves. That's why I don't hate Jigoro nearly as much as a lot of people do or at all.
"There are no constraints on the human mind, no walls around the human spirit, no barriers to our progress except those we ourselves erect." - Ronald Reagan
"Nothing can stop the man with the right mental attitude from achieving his goal; nothing on earth can help the man with the wrong mental attitude." - Thomas Jefferson
YZQ

Post by YZQ »

To be sure, we haven't actually seen him interact with peers in canon. I imagine it's in his nature to talk down to youngsters.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

I imagine it's in his nature to talk down to everybody.
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Charmant wrote:I imagine it's in his nature to talk down to everybody.
I think he talks down with anyone who approaches Shizune.

He's still over-bearing, but Akira and Misha doesn't seem to mind it--only Hisao complained about it, I think?
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
brythain

Post by brythain »

Megumeru wrote:

He's still over-bearing, but Akira and Misha doesn't seem to mind it--only Hisao complained about it, I think?
I think Akira gets along quite well with Jigoro really, or else why is she bringing Hideaki out on trips?
Also, Misha and Jigoro get into shouting matches which neither of them seem too upset about (more like a joke of some sort).

Hisao overreacts to a lot of this because he's not used to it, but Shizune and Misha appear to be okay with whatever Jigoro does, generally.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

brythain wrote:
Megumeru wrote:

I think Akira gets along quite well with Jigoro really, or else why is she bringing Hideaki out on trips?
Also, Misha and Jigoro get into shouting matches which neither of them seem too upset about (more like a joke of some sort).

Hisao overreacts to a lot of this because he's not used to it, but Shizune and Misha appear to be okay with whatever Jigoro does, generally.
Shizune's clearly not okay with it. She just has to tolerate it (or else just basks in her blissful ability to not hear all his shit). Misha's just oblivious and loud enough to not mind Jigoro's own noise so much. And I imagine Akira brings Hideaki out on trips because Hideaki isn't Jigoro so whether or not she likes him wouldn't matter.