Crippling phobias

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

brythain

Re: Crippling phobias

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:I don't see how you can be afraid of a concept you've never been experienced to, and most likely never will.
The actual darkness obviously won't scare them in a "oh gosh I can't see" sort of way, but it might in a "I don't know what's around me" way, which is something even sighted people experience. Are there blind people especially prone to that?
Legally blind people can still differentiate between light and darkness (and lots in between), and darkness (complete or partial) does deprive them of some sensory information.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Atario

Post by Atario »

SpunkySix wrote:The actual darkness obviously won't scare them in a "oh gosh I can't see" sort of way, but it might in a "I don't know what's around me" way, which is something even sighted people experience. Are there blind people especially prone to that?
I'd think you get used to it tout de suite.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

It would make sense for some blind people to be scared by total silence though.
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:
Atario wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Is it possible for blind people to fear the dark?
Not sure if serious…

Maybe for legally-blind like Kenji?
No, I'm totally serious. Can blind people be afraid of the fact that they are surrounded by darkness constantly, in the same way somebody with sight would be if they were put in an unfamiliar pitch black room?
Only insofar as the non-blind can be afraid of light. And I've never seen that (though you do get your odd specimen specifically afraid of sunlight but there's generally a particular reason for that).
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
emmjay

Post by emmjay »

Guest Poster wrote:It would make sense for some blind people to be scared by total silence though.
Considering that total silence for a blind person is somewhat analogous to total darkness for a sighted person (i.e. no sensory information from the sense they rely on most), yeah, I could see that. Although at least a blind person can generate their own sound (for echolocation purposes and such), a sighted person can't generate their own light without appropriate tools.
Yuuko > Akira > Miki > Meiko > Sae.

Some one-shots I've written (Updated 7/29/2017)
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

SpunkySix wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:I don't see how you can be afraid of a concept you've never been experienced to, and most likely never will.
The actual darkness obviously won't scare them in a "oh gosh I can't see" sort of way, but it might in a "I don't know what's around me" way, which is something even sighted people experience. Are there blind people especially prone to that?
What if you put Lilly in an empty, soundproof room and stand her on a table?
No sight, no sound, she won't be able to feel her way around...

Fuck it, I'd be scared.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Munchenhausen wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
What if you put Lilly in an empty, soundproof room and stand her on a table?
No sight, no sound, she won't be able to feel her way around...

Fuck it, I'd be scared.
I wonder if they could make a horror game that worked for blind people based on something similar to that concept. Like, it was totally pitch black, but there were some freaky noises around and you only had those and your tapping to rely on to navigate. And sometimes, that would fail and you'd have to figure out why based on context alone.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

SpunkySix wrote: I wonder if they could make a horror game that worked for blind people based on something similar to that concept. Like, it was totally pitch black, but there were some freaky noises around and you only had those and your tapping to rely on to navigate. And sometimes, that would fail and you'd have to figure out why based on context alone.
That reminds me of a particular browser game, except it's not a horror game so much as it's a simulator.
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Munchenhausen wrote:
SpunkySix wrote: I wonder if they could make a horror game that worked for blind people based on something similar to that concept. Like, it was totally pitch black, but there were some freaky noises around and you only had those and your tapping to rely on to navigate. And sometimes, that would fail and you'd have to figure out why based on context alone.
That reminds me of a particular browser game, except it's not a horror game so much as it's a simulator.
I keep walking into busses.
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

There is this mod for Half-Life 2: http://www.moddb.com/mods/blind-monks-society

Not really horror.

Failing and having to figure why based on context? I don't know how that could work, never mind even communicating that you've failed. You take away the ability to see and unfortunately, with very expensive proprietary equipment, the computer is unable to simulate your touch, taste and smell which would all be useful in navigating, not to mention knowing when you're being attacked or incapacitated.
Atario

Post by Atario »

I bet Shizune could go for hours.

Potato

Post by Potato »

metalangel wrote:never mind even communicating that you've failed.
Generally, game-over screens are permitted to break immersion. It could just plain tell you.

And as for being attacked, that's what vibration is for. Just place it in different areas of the controller to simulate direction.

@Atario: In bed.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Potato wrote:@Atario: In bed.
Fistbump

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

metalangel wrote:
Failing and having to figure why based on context? I don't know how that could work, never mind even communicating that you've failed. You take away the ability to see and unfortunately, with very expensive proprietary equipment, the computer is unable to simulate your touch, taste and smell which would all be useful in navigating, not to mention knowing when you're being attacked or incapacitated.
There's a lot of creative solutions to this. When I said, "fail" I meant "fail to have your tapping work", not fail as in "kills you dead, game over". Maybe you're tapping along on the floor and you hit a wall, (marked by a rumble and a soft impact sound) and all of a sudden the tapping stops working, but you felt rumbling and heard the sound of a small door opening up. You know to move forward because the door opened up, but when you move forward into the new room some, the tapping stops sounding. There's a hole in the floor, and you need to stop walking forward or you're going to die.

A lot of crazy stuff could be done to play on the fear of that. Maybe you hear something scraping towards you, but you're in a room with a lot of narrow walkways and you need to move quickly enough to escape, but you're being held back by your need to check for solid ground, which builds tension. Maybe some totally alien sound goes off periodically throughout the game and part of the mystery in the plot is figuring out what it is. Near the end, you find out by listening to a recording that it's the sound of some evil being, and it has been stalking you the entire time, leading to an "oh crap" moment when you hear the sound again shortly after. Things like that. As for really specific situations, they could probably let you hear the PC's thoughts if really needed. Like, "There must be an elevator around here" and "That's gotta be the control panel".

What would really drive home the paranoia and panic of the situation would be to throw the player into a disguised tutorial as a sighted character in first person for basic controls, get them deep enough into whatever crap they're going to get into to realize that there is serious danger, then have something blind them, and slowly let the realization that it's permanent sink in. For actual blind people, there could be an option to listen to this portion as a cutscene instead. As for deaths, rumbling and sound tricks could easily get them across rather gruesomely, and not knowing exactly what is happening to the poor PC would probably make it freakier. Like, just a bunch of chomping and screaming noises or something, then bad sounding death music before the reset.

I feel like that would be fun for people with the disability in real life, but for everybody else too, and freaky all around if done well. It'd be hard to do right, but if somebody nailed it... that's the type of innovative stuff that gets publicity and awards.
Last edited by SpunkySix on Fri Jul 25, 2014 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.