Crippling phobias

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ParagonTerminus

Crippling phobias

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Let's talk about something different: how irrational mental phobias can cause physical problems.

For example, I have really terrible melissophobia (fear of bees and bee stings). Yes, I know it's a little pathetic, but it goes even deeper. I've had it since I was three, when I was attacked by a small nest of bees after unwittingly disturbing them. This was accentuated when I went to the US five years later, and was stung again when I disturbed another group of bees. Years later, I still freeze up whenever I see a bee/wasp/hornet anywhere.

This has caused a number of health detriments for me, and I'm aware of that. I barely go outside as it is, but the thought of spending time outside in summer is enough to make me extremely nervous becase there's a tiny chance a wasp will get annoyed with my existence and attack me. Second, it means that I tend to keep all the windows of my house closed lest a bee/wasp/hornet flies in. That causes my house to be stuffy and deficient of oxygen to borderline dangerous levels. So I'm effectively choking myself to death and losing my immune system (due to lack of sunlight) and all because of some small yellow-striped bastards. I am "crippled" by being unable to go outside without a panic attack.

Do any of your phobias cause any such physical detriments?

EDIT: (Note to Silentcook): Yes, hello there, I am ready for the cooking. This forum's design, curses be had, prevents me from deleting the thread, so I am at your mercy.
Last edited by ParagonTerminus on Thu Jul 24, 2014 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Potato

Re: Crippling phobias

Post by Potato »

Crippling phobias. There is no way that was unintentional and I hate you for it.

Keeping windows closed is not choking you to death. If that were the case, there'd be mass suffocation death all over the place.
And spending time outside in summer is overrated anyway. It's hot and there are bugs everywhere. Also, you can always fit your windows with screen mesh. That's literally what it exists for, helping people who hate bugs. :lol:

I used to have a crippling height phobia. Couldn't even climb stairs. Then I got over it. Now it's only a regular-level-of-irrationality phobia. :mrgreen: Still don't like roller coasters and still can't look down from high stairways.

Frankly, I've never understood animal phobias based on "One out of all the countless specimens in all the world attacked me once!" stories...Or germ phobias either. Even irrationality's gotta have a limit.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

I used to have a really bad Nyctophobia (Severe fear of the dark, enough to cause complete panic) lasted till I was about 17, it was bad enough that I couldnt fall asleep without enough light to see all of the room or with someone else being in the room. Eventually it just subsided and I forgot about what on earth was scaring me to start with.

I still have a fear of hights, unless im in a plane, which is really odd, I used to fly Grob Tutors with the RAF Cadets quite often, had no issues with the effectively all round view glass cockpit, but I still cant look down a sharp drop without noping myself out of it.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Atario

Post by Atario »

ParagonTerminus wrote:lest a bee/wasp/hornet flies in
I find bees are a lot cooler about things than most bugs. Once, at university, where our dorms were sadly lacking screens despite being situated in a forest, a bee flew into mine. He zipped in, had a look, zipped to the other side, finished looking, then zipped right back out again. All business, no hassle. It struck me because I was constantly plagued by hordes of stupid-ass bumbling giant gangly crane flies that wouldn't know how to fly out a window if you gave 'em two free hands, a map, a flashlight, and two hours in which to try. Hate those things.

But yeah, hornets and wasps are Satan spawn. Fuck 'em sideways.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Potato wrote:Crippling phobias. There is no way that was unintentional and I hate you for it.

Keeping windows closed is not choking you to death. If that were the case, there'd be mass suffocation death all over the place.
And spending time outside in summer is overrated anyway. It's hot and there are bugs everywhere. Also, you can always fit your windows with screen mesh. That's literally what it exists for, helping people who hate bugs. :lol:

I used to have a crippling height phobia. Couldn't even climb stairs. Then I got over it. Now it's only a regular-level-of-irrationality phobia. :mrgreen: Still don't like roller coasters and still can't look down from high stairways.

Frankly, I've never understood animal phobias based on "One out of all the countless specimens in all the world attacked me once!" stories...Or germ phobias either. Even irrationality's gotta have a limit.
It's hardly good for you to be in a stuffy atmosphere. I frequently get headaches and such from it.

Also, it's because I was attacked at a very small and easily impressionable age; had I been stung at 12, I would be less scared.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Potato

Post by Potato »

CoffeeDrive wrote:I still cant look down a sharp drop without noping myself out of it.
Golden rule: If you're near enough to an edge to look down a sharp drop, you're near enough to slip/trip/stumble and plummet down a sharp drop. This is the primary source of all height phobias. That's my theory anyway. :lol:

@Paragon: Headaches can be caused by all kinds of stuff. If the oxygen levels were dangerous (even borderline), you'd have a lot more problems than headaches. XD (On a related note, I find balancing a cold soda can on my forehead for five to ten minutes cures basically any headache short of migraines. Something about the combination of cold and pressure...)
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Potato wrote:
CoffeeDrive wrote:I still cant look down a sharp drop without noping myself out of it.
Golden rule: If you're near enough to an edge to look down a sharp drop, you're near enough to slip/trip/stumble and plummet down a sharp drop. This is the primary source of everyone's height phobia. That's my theory anyway. :lol:

@Paragon: Headaches can be caused by all kinds of stuff. If the oxygen levels were dangerous (even borderline), you'd have a lot more problems than headaches. XD (On a related note, I find balancing a cold soda can on my forehead for five to ten minutes cures basically any headache short of migraines. Something about the combination of cold and pressure...)
Indeed, the phobia is just your body attempting to protect you even if the chance of death is literally 0.

Also, this thread isnt very KS related, so im expecting some cooking.

KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Potato wrote:Even irrationality's gotta have a limit.
No, it doesn't. That's the whole point.

I honestly can't recall having a phobia of a specific thing. I guess I'm afraid of large bodies of water. Somewhat. I guess... I also don't care for bees. Well, wasps, anyways. Bees are cool because they help our crops out, and create a disgusting substance by vomiting out nectar, and vomiting it out again, (Not sure why people like that stuff) but wasps are just assholes who destroy property, sting you for no reason, and multiple times at that, and contribute absolutely nothing to society. I'm also allergic to their venom, and could possibly die by their sting. I find their buzzing to be highly unsettling as well, especially in mass. So yeah. I don't like wasps. They're one of the few creatures on this Earth I would like to see terminated.
Last edited by KeiichiO on Sat Aug 16, 2014 2:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Um... hm. I don't like heights, but that hasn't stopped me from doing much. Oddly enough, it does make the ferris wheel the scariest ride by far for me.

Do any of the girls have phobias? I can't think of any right now.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

SpunkySix wrote:Um... hm. I don't like heights, but that hasn't stopped me from doing much. Oddly enough, it does make the ferris wheel the scariest ride by far for me.

I'm pretty sure Hanako doesn't like most humans.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

KeiichiO wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Um... hm. I don't like heights, but that hasn't stopped me from doing much. Oddly enough, it does make the ferris wheel the scariest ride by far for me.

Arguably not irrational, but alright.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

SpunkySix wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:

Arguably not irrational, but alright.
In a world home to over 7 billion walking talking meatbags, you're bound to interact with one at some point. It's best to suck it up and get over the fear if you want to be something in the world.

I should probably take my own advice, but I'd really like to live a life far away from society...
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

KeiichiO wrote:
I should probably take my own advice, but I'd really like to live a life far away from society...
As a lord of sealand, I hereby invite you to our humble country.
http://www.sealandgov.org/

(Unfortunatly England dosen't recognise my Lordship, damn bastards.)

KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:
As a lord of sealand, I hereby invite you to our humble country.
http://www.sealandgov.org/

(Unfortunatly England dosen't recognise my Lordship, damn bastards.)
Thanks for the offer, but I think I'd rather live in a forest with lots of woodland creatures. Now, if only I didn't just remember that I'm afraid of bears...
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

CoffeeDrive wrote: (Unfortunatly England dosen't recognise my Lordship, damn bastards.)
Sealand cannot into relevance c:
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon