Types of emotional reactions to KS

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

ParagonTerminus

Types of emotional reactions to KS

Post by ParagonTerminus »

Over the course of my stay at this forum, I've noticed that there are so many different types of reactions from people when it comes to Katawa Shoujo; from complete apathy to crushing depression for an extended period of time.

I, for example, didn't cry, as so many people supposedly did. Not one time did I cry. Does that make me a monster? Maybe. Instead of crying, though, I was often on the verge of tears and suffered crippling depression for weeks after KS.

I'm interested to see if the whole "crying rivers" statement is a serious exaggeration or not.

So yeah, share your emotional responses to the game, for the good of our research purposes.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Comrade

Re: Types of emotional reactions to KS

Post by Comrade »

ParagonTerminus wrote: I, for example, didn't cry, as so many people supposedly did. Not one time did I cry. Does that make me a monster?
Come on
That's a pretty dumb thing to think. different people have different ways of reacting to emotional stimulation, in fact that's the point of this thread, yet you wonder if there's something wrong with you if you happen to react differently :roll:
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

ParagonTerminus wrote:
I'm interested to see if the whole "crying rivers" statement is a serious exaggeration or not.

So yeah, share your emotional responses to the game, for the good of our research purposes.
I did, but that may have been due to the emotional state I was in at the time of playing (it was mid-winter, there were lots of changes in my life and I was depressed as fuck). If I played it for the first time now, do I think I would cry? PROBABLY not, although Lilly's ending still makes me mushier than an old banana.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I had a few tears, but mostly the crushing depression thing due to waifu withdrawal. And that's how I found this forum!
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Post by brythain »

I think I shed a few manly tears — I am an old softie at heart, really. But this was followed by a burning desire to imagine what happened after Yamaku. And how these people would ever survive out in the cruel world. So I read almost all the fanfic I could find, assuming that some people would have had similar thoughts. There was a huge range of these, and some made me shed more tears (some in anger and some in disgust, to be honest). It's been fun. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
ParagonTerminus

Comrade wrote:
ParagonTerminus wrote: I, for example, didn't cry, as so many people supposedly did. Not one time did I cry. Does that make me a monster?
Come on
That's a pretty dumb thing to think. different people have different ways of reacting to emotional stimulation, in fact that's the point of this thread, yet you wonder if there's something wrong with you if you happen to react differently :roll:
It was a bit of a joke, considering many of the people I've talked to outside the forums seemed to believe so.

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Every person's reaction depends on the material conditions he was in when he read through it.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
brythain

Post by brythain »

Comrade wrote:Every person's reaction depends on the material conditions he was in when he read through it.
This is always true. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Ive never cried to a VN, but then, while KS is the VN i had the most attatchment to, mainly due to the forums, with Type-Moons stuff, (F/SN,F/HA,Tsukihime,Kagetsu Tohya, etc) being a close second, and while they both have caused me to have emotional reactions, none of them made me cry. To be honest my reactions only normally go between anger, (My god Hisao, Rins saying she likes you, Baka.) and general sadness (Saber dissapeared? Man fuck this ending.)

But then, If narcissu and Planetarium cant make me cry, dont know what can.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Munchenhausen

Post by Munchenhausen »

I cannot remember any specifics, but I can definitely say I felt quite sad at points and I cried once. Lilly's goodbye before going to the airport, but that's probably because I really hate farewells :c

As for longterm affects, with Katawa Shoujo being my first ever VN, Emi kinda had my Waifu virginity. Never before had I felt romantic attachment to a fictional character, and the fact that it was happening terrified me. I thought this was the beginning of me becoming a full on otaku and seeked immediate help from another otaku. Her ending filled me with a warm, fuzzy feeling and she occupied my thoughts and a few dreams for quite a while.

I got better though :)
my current waifu is Darjeeling :3
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon
ParagonTerminus

Munchenhausen wrote:I cannot remember any specifics, but I can definitely say I felt quite sad at points and I cried once. Lilly's goodbye before going to the airport, but that's probably because I really hate farewells :c

As for longterm affects, with Katawa Shoujo being my first ever VN, Emi kinda had my Waifu virginity. Never before had I felt romantic attachment to a fictional character, and the fact that it was happening terrified me. I thought this was the beginning of me becoming a full on otaku and seeked immediate help from another otaku. Her ending filled me with a warm, fuzzy feeling and she occupied my thoughts and a few dreams for quite a while.

I got better though :)
my current waifu is Darjeeling :3
I had a similar feeling of "what the hell is wrong with me" when I fell in love with Hanako. I felt as if becoming so attached to a female character was borderline... Well... You know some of the stuff they do in Japan...

Eventually I consulted with the friend that first convinced me to play KS, and he explained that it was perfectly normal and that the same happened with him and Lilly. To add onto that, I came here and met you guys, so if I'm crazy, at least I'm not alone and crazy. :D

AussieInquisitor

Post by AussieInquisitor »

ParagonTerminus wrote:
Munchenhausen wrote:
[...] As for longterm affects, with Katawa Shoujo being my first ever VN, Emi kinda had my Waifu virginity. Never before had I felt romantic attachment to a fictional character, and the fact that it was happening terrified me.

[,,,]
I had a similar feeling of "what the hell is wrong with me" when I fell in love with Hanako. I felt as if becoming so attached to a female character was borderline... [...]
I can sort of say the same on both initial counts. A rough breakdown of my thought process:

Partway through KS: What the heck is WRONG with me?
End of Lilly's route: *pounding pillow helplessly* Why? Damnation, why?!
End of KS: For heaven's sake, man - DON'T let anyone find out about this or you'll be mocked up and down the Brisbane River over this!

So yeah, coming to this site and finding out that there was a vast community who meets over their interest in KS was kind of a relief, too.
Tha gaol agam ort, Lilly. Slàinte mhor a h-uile là a chi 's nach fhaic.

"I think I can hear SlientCook building more Sorry Corners from the remains of cooked threads to cope with the demand."
- Rhodri, 07/04/2015
Potato

Post by Potato »

ParagonTerminus wrote:I'm interested to see if the whole "crying rivers" statement is a serious exaggeration or not.
Useful note: Nobody in all the history of the universe has ever actually cried rivers. Obviously.

My reaction was crying, crippling depression, and apathy all alternating in a continuous cycle for about a month.
Last edited by Potato on Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

CoffeeDrive wrote:Planetarium cant make me cry
Are you made of stone?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Mashed Potatoes

Post by Mashed Potatoes »

Potato wrote:
ParagonTerminus wrote:I'm interested to see if the whole "crying rivers" statement is a serious exaggeration or not.
Useful note: Nobody in all the history of the universe has ever actually cried rivers. Obviously.

My reaction was crying, crippling depression, and apathy all alternating in a continuous cycle for about a month.
I'm so sorry. Of course I'm referring to our usernames.