Ignorant things said by Internet know-it-alls

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

metalangel

Re: Ignorant things said by Internet know-it-alls

Post by metalangel »

Welcome to double standards:

Guy assaults girl, people swarm in to tell him off.
Girl assaults guy, people watch with amusement.

I guarantee you: in the second bit, the moment he defended himself with equal force, the onlookers would be all over him.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

metalangel wrote:Welcome to double standards:

Guy assaults girl, people swarm in to tell him off.
Girl assaults guy, people watch with amusement.

I guarantee you: in the second bit, the moment he defended himself with equal force, the onlookers would be all over him.
I had a girl on the school cross country team that I knew but wasn't very close with slap my ass multiple times despite me telling her that it was making me feel extremely uncomfortable and embarrassed and that I didn't like being touched anywhere, let alone there, and people laughed at me and said I was overreacting. After she continued to do it and crowd me for weeks, I pushed her off of me and suddenly I was a jerk and had to apologize. Despite the fact that if the situation was reversed, it'd be considered sexual harassment and I'd never get away with doing that even once without at least being yelled at. Go figure.

Not that anybody should be touching anybody, obviously. I'm not condoning that, I'm just saying that sometimes retaliation is the only thing that works, and that it's just plain weird how societal roles change people's reactions to it and other things so much.

Is there even anything that can really be done about that? Let's go with disabilities, to be more on-point. What is it going to take for the general public to see things as they are, and not how they want them or expect them to be?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

That's one thing about equalizing the gender roles, for what it's worth.

A man who's abused is seen as feminine, and something to be laughed at because of that, because a man seen as feminine is seen as inferior and therefore not worthy of protecting.

And this is an example of why the patriarchy is bad for men, too.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Equality lasts up until a better result can be gained by playing the weak little female card. Men cannot protest lest they be labelled a mysognistic, sexist neanderthal who needs to "man up".

Yes, that's right, man up and take it like a bitch, already.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

True Equality means that no person is above another, no person is exploited for the benefit of the stronger.
To achieve this we must abolish all forms of discrimination, including positive discrimination, hiwever it seems some people don't realize this and try to empower themselves over
others in the sake of correcting wrongs.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

The thing is though, unlike movements like civil rights, these sorts of things aren't easy to target. The civil rights movement had laws to go after. Trying to get people to stop being stupid doesn't. I fear that we're too far removed from logic and sympathy to fix problems like this, and that the same sort of comments made about this VN and their underlying themes are going to be plaguing all of us, not just the disabled, for a long, long time, probably until we go extinct.

Any optimists/idealists here that want to say otherwise? I want to be clear that that isn't a challenge, it's a legitimate question.
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

My ASL course wasn't just ASL, it was also an introduction to the Deaf community and Deaf Culture. We were given a little essay welcoming us on our journey, and saying how important having hearing people who know about the culture and language are because we can educate others. I'll see if I can find it, because it was a really good piece. The word used is "allies". The world needs allies, not ill-informed do-gooders who act out of ignorance or even pity and just make things worse.

We are coming so far with equality. Unfortunately, there is mounting evidence that in some cases sexual equality (and feminism) is doing as much harm as good.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

metalangel wrote:My ASL course wasn't just ASL, it was also an introduction to the Deaf community and Deaf Culture. We were given a little essay welcoming us on our journey, and saying how important having hearing people who know about the culture and language are because we can educate others. I'll see if I can find it, because it was a really good piece. The word used is "allies". The world needs allies, not ill-informed do-gooders who act out of ignorance or even pity and just make things worse.

We are coming so far with equality. Unfortunately, there is mounting evidence that in some cases sexual equality (and feminism) is doing as much harm as good.
I've heard the term "allies" being used for homosexual rights as well.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

Although there are a lot of people hiding behind "ally" to excuse harmful actions. As in, "I'm an ally, so you can't call me out on this!" I know some people that oppose people using the term "ally" to describe themselves, because of that.

Also, please don't let the radfems bring feminism down.

Affirmative action (for any minority class) certainly has its problems, although signs are that overall, most of the claimed corruption in affirmative action cases is merely anecdotal, not data, and there's just as much or even more corruption among the majority class. Just like everyone's heard of a black person or a woman who got into a position because of their race or gender, there's a rich white guy whose son got a position because of his race, gender, and money. And, a lot of the time, the affirmative action systems are meant to compensate for the discrimination that made it harder to get to that point in the first place.
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Feminism is inheritly flawed. as it's name suggests, it empowers women over men, not promoting equality.
An American, 2014
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

It's funny, though, how it turns out that many of the problems that feminism is trying to solve re: fixed gender roles turn out to help everyone, not just women, though.

And, quite a large portion of feminists are for elevating women to a state of... wait for it... equality. Sure, there's nutjobs that are anti-man, but there's plenty of anti-woman nutjobs too.
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

bhtooefr wrote:It's funny, though, how it turns out that many of the problems that feminism is trying to solve re: fixed gender roles turn out to help everyone, not just women, though.

And, quite a large portion of feminists are for elevating women to a state of... wait for it... equality. Sure, there's nutjobs that are anti-man, but there's plenty of anti-woman nutjobs too.
Let's just say that we have a higher view on what equality is
An American, 2014
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Feminism as a whole has been hijacked by radical men-haters in America, and sadly, has become the face many people associate with the movement.

Seriously. Nearly every feminist outside the US hates how feminism is perceived now because of that very loud minority.

It would be like judging all Christians on the actions of Westboro Baptist Church, judging conservatives because of the Tea Party Patriots, or basing your opinion on gay rights from the way some people act in Pride parades.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Eurobeatjester wrote:Feminism as a whole has been hijacked by radical men-haters in America, and sadly, has become the face many people associate with the movement.

Seriously. Nearly every feminist outside the US hates how feminism is perceived now because of that very loud minority.

It would be like judging all Christians on the actions of Westboro Baptist Church, judging conservatives because of the Tea Party Patriots, or basing your opinion on gay rights from the way some people act in Pride parades.
As if the USA is an example of a healthy political system
An American, 2014
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

I never said it was, but that wasn't the point I was trying to make and you know that.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself