Other love stories you read before Katawa Shoujo

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Ritter Delorges

Other love stories you read before Katawa Shoujo

Post by Ritter Delorges »

I really like Katawa Shoujo. When I played it for the first time, I was surprised how much I liked it. However some of the more extreme reactions surprise me just as much.

I understand that much of it comes down to general differences in temperament and that there inherent biases in a forum like this one because people who feel very strongly about it will feel a stronger urge to post here.

Now I am curious about something. Did you read much fiction about love before encountering KS? I don't necessarily mean officially designated romance novels. There is a lot of literary fiction with love as its central topic. However it should really be central. works that just happen to include a love subplot don't count. I haven't even read all that much, but even I know that there are lots of "feels" to be found in fiction.

Just as a random example, recently I read Theodor Storm's novella Angelika*. That might even work as a visual novel route with a seriously dark "neutral" end. I can already picture the final CG. Actually recommending Storm to someone who likes Katawa Shoujo is just crazy enough that it might work - or you may think that I've lost it completely, so try him at your own risk.

The audience here also seems seriously skewed towards youngish men, not the stereotypical love story readership.

Sorry for rambling a bit, but I am just curious how your reaction to Katawa Shoujo may relate to possible other intense and well-written love stories that you may have read.

('* It's in German and I am not even sure if that one easily available in English. Sorry, I couldn't think of an English-language example and it is really among the last things I've read.)
Sohtak

Re: Other love stories you read before Katawa Shoujo

Post by Sohtak »

I can't say I've officially read any OTHER love story oriented games/Novels. As I have stated before on these forums the VN "Go Go Nippon!" got me very much into the genre as a whole. And it's romantic sub-plot was nothing near what KS has, And it made me all mushy in my heart but I'm just a pansy :P

Honestly with the way Hanako's story has crippled me (No it's not a pun) and how much I simply love her as a character I'm rather worried about reading another VN that is supposedly "Better" then KS (Not implying KS is the best, It's my #1 but I know it has it's faults and many people consider KS an "okay" VN at best. But #1 to me)

And yes I am one of those "Young men" demographic as I'm a mere 21 years old. I've barely done anything beyond Hanako's route and I'm torn to bits over it. Honestly I will in the future try some of the VNs people recommended on here but....as of this moment I can only contain so much sadness at one time :P
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Um... not sure if Ripples counts, since it only deals with the very start of a relationship and even then explores other themes more. Summer in Fairbrook: Flower Shop was pretty good, and oddly enough I ended up with the fiery runner girl in that one too, also by happy accident. Oh, and a VN on Newgrounds about college romance.

Other than those two or three, nothing really. Romances tend to read as clichéd, and I get pretty bummed out reading about what seems like something that just doesn't happen in real life most of the time, so for my own good I generally avoid even the well-written stuff.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Tsukihime, Type Moons first novel (I think?) Although, unlike KS, the romance is about half the story, not the whole thing.

After KS though, I read Fate/Stay Night, and am currently reading Fate/Hollow Ataraxia.

FSN was an odd one though, The love story pushed the plot forward (Quite massively, as each route is way different in almost everything that happens.) but it was mainly about winning the Holy Grail war.

Not sure what Ill go onto after Fate Hollow Ataraxia. Probably some Nakige love story, get some good ol feels.

http://static2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2 ... -08-17.png
Have a link if you want a good list of VNs to try.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

I have read about half a dozen romance novels (I prefer it as a subplot) and Tsukihime.
I prefer to read other things but romance can be pleasant every now and than.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I've read the Princess Bride. (Yes, the actual book.)

I also used to really be into Video Girl Ai.
Not Dead Yet
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Looking at my bookshelf, the closest I got on it that resembles romance is 'The Godfather.' And a fair amount of the 'romance' is talking about how well endowed Sonny is and how Lucy is too big in the lady department. I also have Pride and Prejudice and Zombies, but I doubt that counts.

But no, never read a true romance story before or since I came across KS. It was lightning in a bottle and it struck a cord with me.
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

I haven't really read alot, (tho after "playing" KS, i want to start reading more), but i played an RPG (in the style of those old RPG maker ones) called To The Moon, it's nothing realistic, but it's a fun and romantic story, with mistery elements, and a nice plot-twist ^.^ and alot of comedy and references from known stuff :) the game mostly involves walking alot and exploring as many stuff as you want (which i recomend for the funny lines), music is really great, give it a try ^.^
Potato

Post by Potato »

A lot of mandatory Shakespeare. And some Stephen King stuff.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:A lot of mandatory Shakespeare.
I refuse to count Romeo and Juliet as a love story. That was a "horny teens want nothing but sex from each other, rush into a baseless relationship, pretend it's the same thing as love and then melodramatically commit suicide over it" story.

I just remembered, I read Feed. That was sort of a love story. Kind of. Titus was such an ass though...
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:A lot of mandatory Shakespeare.
I refuse to count Romeo and Juliet as a love story. That was a "horny teens want nothing but sex from each other, rush into a baseless relationship, pretend it's the same thing as love and then melodramatically commit suicide over it" story.

I just remembered, I read Feed. That was sort of a love story. Kind of. Titus was such an ass though...
Well, I still read some Stephen King. There are kinda love stories in those. :lol:

And like...the Titanic movies...Disney...
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Atario

Post by Atario »

SpunkySix wrote:I refuse to count Romeo and Juliet as a love story. That was a "horny teens want nothing but sex from each other, rush into a baseless relationship, pretend it's the same thing as love and then melodramatically commit suicide over it" story.
Hey, when the state of the medical arts is bloodletting, you're on a tight schedule. Ain't nobody got time fo' yo' pussyfootin' aroun'!
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Atario wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:I refuse to count Romeo and Juliet as a love story. That was a "horny teens want nothing but sex from each other, rush into a baseless relationship, pretend it's the same thing as love and then melodramatically commit suicide over it" story.
Hey, when the state of the medical arts is bloodletting, you're on a tight schedule. Ain't nobody got time fo' yo' pussyfootin' aroun'!
I don't think those two body parts ever touched in Romeo and Juliet, which is part of the reason it didn't interest me.
FelOnyx

Post by FelOnyx »

Atario wrote:
And dead in the middle of the Black Death at that, and in Italy, one of the most affected areas.
But yeah, it goes to show you, "damn kids these days, havin' sex at 14" is older than Shakespeare.

On topic, I can't think of any real romance stories I read before KS, though I enjoy them now after finishing it.
AlexG wrote:For a moment there I thought Marx woke up as some kind of stripper in the middle ages
BlackGoldShooter wrote:This is what happens when children don't eat their vegetables. First they start manufacturing statuettes. Next they take over the world.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

FelOnyx wrote:
Atario wrote:
And dead in the middle of the Black Death at that, and in Italy, one of the most affected areas.
But yeah, it goes to show you, "damn kids these days, havin' sex at 14" is older than Shakespeare.
It wasn't even that though. It's the fact that people hail it as the greatest, most romantic love story of all time. That's completely missing the point. Friar Laurence even warns them that they're going way too fast, not because of their age, but because they barely freaking know each other and are already banging and trying to get married and run away and ready to kill themselves based on pretty much surface attraction alone. The whole idea was that they WEREN'T really in love.