Why have so many people taken Hanako's route first?

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Potato

Re: Why have so many people taken Hanako's route first?

Post by Potato »

C4H8Cl2S wrote:The other characters didn't really have much internal turmoil going on.
...What were you playing again? :lol:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Potato wrote:
C4H8Cl2S wrote:The other characters didn't really have much internal turmoil going on.
I think he meant visibly in Act 1. Hopefully.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:
Oh, well. That makes sense.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
C4H8Cl2S

Post by C4H8Cl2S »

SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:
That's right!

It also brings to mind something interesting. (Or at least, I think it's interesting.) Do the players who spoiled themselves silly before playing tend to pick a different first route? Some of the most interesting character traits don't reveal themselves until later, after all. I'm guessing it gets too subjective to make finding a meaningful answer easy, but I can't help wondering.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Good thought, but I don't know. I saw the five main girls and a brief synopsis, that's it.
Potato

Post by Potato »

C4H8Cl2S wrote:Do the players who spoiled themselves silly before playing tend to pick a different first route?
Probably.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

C4H8Cl2S wrote: Do the players who spoiled themselves silly before playing tend to pick a different first route?

I spoiled absolutely nothing when i first played KS, (I preloaded it on my tablet using an android port and played it on a plane trip to japan with no internet connection so I wouldnt ruin my first play through by looking up flowcharts.)
The first girl I ended up with was Emi, I wasnt going for anyone specific at this point, and was just selecting options i would pick in real life (Yes to running, end up with Emi.) And to be honest, Emi is a really good route to open into KS with, its really lighthearted to begin with, the only one where the two hit of almost immediatly and start actually dating as you would expect from a High-School romance, of course, then all her inner turmoil comes in, but even then. Its still a really nice route, and the Good ending is real sweet.

But even then, the main reason that I didnt go for Hanako second (When i was making concious choices of who to attempt for) was mainly because Dont hurt me Hanabros, please. I find her character boring, and in my opinion, her route was pretty dull except for some pretty touching and meaningful parts, the biggest to me being
(Spoilers inbound)
Her crayon drawing of the house fire
Hisao showing her his own scar
The ending
Hanako showing herself to Hisao pre sex scene, shit was too awkward after.

But other than those 4 points, I just didn't feel involved. Heck if I hung around with Hanako i'd probably have the same reaction as the OC from Breaking the sound barrier.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
C4H8Cl2S wrote: Do the players who spoiled themselves silly before playing tend to pick a different first route?

I spoiled absolutely nothing when i first played KS, (I preloaded it on my tablet using an android port and played it on a plane trip to japan with no internet connection so I wouldnt ruin my first play through by looking up flowcharts.)
The first girl I ended up with was Emi, I wasnt going for anyone specific at this point, and was just selecting options i would pick in real life (Yes to running, end up with Emi.) And to be honest, Emi is a really good route to open into KS with, its really lighthearted to begin with, the only one where the two hit of almost immediatly and start actually dating as you would expect from a High-School romance, of course, then all her inner turmoil comes in, but even then. Its still a really nice route, and the Good ending is real sweet.

But even then, the main reason that I didnt go for Hanako second (When i was making concious choices of who to attempt for) was mainly because Dont hurt me Hanabros, please. I find her character boring, and in my opinion, her route was pretty dull except for some pretty touching and meaningful parts, the biggest to me being
(Spoilers inbound)
Her crayon drawing of the house fire
Hisao showing her his own scar
The ending
Hanako showing herself to Hisao pre sex scene, shit was too awkward after.

But other than those 4 points, I just didn't feel involved. Heck if I hung around with Hanako i'd probably have the same reaction as the OC from Breaking the sound barrier.
I'll honestly say..I think you have to be a bit of a loner to be interested in Hanako. Not saying you couldn't like her if you were super popular but...The girls in a way...reflect our personality's. And we go after certain ones for a reason, After all...That's kind of the point of dating sims! Going after the girl that appealss to you the most :P

I've said it once and I'll say it again. Hanako is like the female me minus the burn scars. I'm very anxious in public and a bit of a wallflower with only a very few friend sticking with me through-out my life. I still remember the hallway scene where she skipped every other tile and made it a game..I USED TO DO THAT...and then Hisao fucking insulted me with his "How lonely do you have to be to turn that into a game?" Yeah fuck you Hisao, K? Fuck you <3

Her route just stuck out to me the most. Because as I said..the girls reflect us in a way. I know what it's like to be the wallflower in the back of the classroom and hanging out with 1-2 people. And what it means to have a real friend, You know? That's what touched me as well with her route.

When Hisao took her into the city and bought her a flower chain to put on her phone I was like "Hell yeah, Let's get her a gift!"

I've had friends that..I thought were real friends but once they got "Popular" or "Cool" they dumped me like a bad habit. And as a result I only have a few friends that I've known since Pre-K
Potato

Post by Potato »

Sohtak wrote:I'll honestly say..I think you have to be a bit of a loner to be interested in Hanako. Not saying you couldn't like her if you were super popular but...The girls in a way...reflect our personality's. And we go after certain ones for a reason, After all...That's kind of the point of dating sims! Going after the girl that appeals to you the most :P
Why do you have to be a loner to be interested in Hanako? People don't generally surround themselves with mirrors of their own personalities. That's just boring and cultish. :lol: And isn't the saying "opposites attract"? Personality-wise, Emi appealed most to me initially, and she's pretty much my polar opposite.
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Potato wrote:
Sohtak wrote:I'll honestly say..I think you have to be a bit of a loner to be interested in Hanako. Not saying you couldn't like her if you were super popular but...The girls in a way...reflect our personality's. And we go after certain ones for a reason, After all...That's kind of the point of dating sims! Going after the girl that appeals to you the most :P
Why do you have to be a loner to be interested in Hanako? People don't generally surround themselves with mirrors of their own personalities. That's just boring and cultish. :lol: And isn't the saying "opposites attract"? Personality-wise, Emi appealed most to me initially, and she's pretty much my polar opposite.
I was just about to say this :lol: ( teeny bit awkward considering who I am quoting though)
A lot of people like others who are entirely different to them (e.g. Rin and Emi). I doubt there would be a positive relationship between 2 people who have intense superiority complexes.
Opposites often complement each other perfectly.

On another note, I always wondered what is so lonely about the dark tile stepping game? I can imagine Shizune playing that game often as well and she isn't particularly lonely. I found it to be more of a playful thing rather than a lonely thing to do.
ogorhan

Post by ogorhan »

Wynaut? She is beautiful, cute and her smile is absolutely adorable :D
しれー、しれぇー!、しれぇーってばー!ねー!、おーい、きこえてないのー?ぅおーい!

Tokitsukaze y u so cute.

Admiral of the sea and a stout defender of his kanmusu.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Forever_ambivalent wrote:
Potato wrote:
I was just about to say this :lol: ( teeny bit awkward considering who I am quoting though)
A lot of people like others who are entirely different to them (e.g. Rin and Emi). I doubt there would be a positive relationship between 2 people who have intense superiority complexes.
Opposites often complement each other perfectly.

On another note, I always wondered what is so lonely about the dark tile stepping game? I can imagine Shizune playing that game often as well and she isn't particularly lonely. I found it to be more of a playful thing rather than a lonely thing to do.
I fail to see anything awkward in you having had a thought that someone else on the planet also had once.

People who say the tile game is about loneliness are completely off-base. I just get bored at the grocery store... :lol:
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

Potato wrote: Why do you have to be a loner to be interested in Hanako? People don't generally surround themselves with mirrors of their own personalities. That's just boring and cultish. :lol: And isn't the saying "opposites attract"? Personality-wise, Emi appealed most to me initially, and she's pretty much my polar opposite.
Eh, It was just my take on it personally. And yes I suppose the whole "opposites attract" thing is the case in.....most cases lol.

But misery also loves company :P

But it might explain why I'm not really interested in the other girls (So far) So far I've only liked Hanako....And Lily, But that's granted. Lily/Hanako are package.

You'd think I'd like Emi or Rin or Shizune/Misha. But they don't really appeal to me to much personally. Just Hanako and Lily
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I can see what he is saying. People don't go for mirror images of themselves usually, but seeing a bit of yourself in somebody else can help form a bond. For example, Emi is the polar opposite of me in outgoingness, being super extroverted where I'm all tucked into my little safe zone, which makes me admire her, but I think sharing common ground with certain traits- being really driven internally and generally wanting to "make it on my own"- is also part of the reason I like her. It's a balance.
Sohtak

Post by Sohtak »

SpunkySix wrote:I can see what he is saying. People don't go for mirror images of themselves usually, but seeing a bit of yourself in somebody else can help form a bond. For example, Emi is the polar opposite of me in outgoingness, being super extroverted where I'm all tucked into my little safe zone, which makes me admire her, but I think sharing common ground with certain traits- being really driven internally and generally wanting to "make it on my own"- is also part of the reason I like her. It's a balance.
Oh I can see what he is saying too and it's more than enough sense lol

Which is fair enough! Though I saw you say "people USUALLY don't go for mirror images of themselves"

Maybe I'm just the exception :P