Wattpad Transcription of KS w/ Editions per Girl *BestRoute

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

MaxwellAbstruse c:

Wattpad Transcription of KS w/ Editions per Girl *BestRoute

Post by MaxwellAbstruse c: »

I plan to make a novel transcription of KS to wattpad (as there aren't any complete or ,frankly, good ones availiable. However, in order to simply do one edition for each girl I a have to choose between the good, bad and neutral endings for each. As I'd hate to start a riot over which one was better than the other, I thought I just ask the general public and see that mass majority. Please do vote per character on which route ending was the best! :) I plan to use this data from the forums and have act 1 completed within a few weeks. If you'd like to join me in this as well please shoot me a message! c: It is our duty as KS'ers to inform the world of the beauty that is Katawa Shoujo.
dewelar

Re: Wattpad Transcription of KS w/ Editions per Girl *BestRo

Post by dewelar »

MaxwellAbstruse c: wrote:I plan to make a novel transcription of KS to wattpad...
If you haven't, you might want to clear this with the devs first. Posting it four times probably won't help your cause, though :wink:.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
MaxwellAbstruse c:

I know, I plan to. (: And honest mistake! I keep clicking post over and over again because my laptop was lagging, I took them off. c:
Potato

Post by Potato »

...So...You're writing a KS novel or something?

Right...Good luck with that. .-.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

Why don't you just make a poll?
It would make everything easier.
Also, why do you want to make a transcription of KS? You will have to make up 35-45% (yes, I am just making up these numbers of the top of my head. Probably isn't true but the message is still there) just so that it would make sense as a novel.

Why get so psyched up before actually asking the devs if you can do this?
If you really want to spread the word about KS, I think it might just be best for you to go and spread the word about the game rather than copy this and paste it somewhere else with a bunch of added stuff.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

MaxwellAbstruse c: wrote:I know, I plan to. (:
Hmmm...bad form. You probably should have gotten it before posting about it. However, if/when you do get permission from the devs to do this, I'm sure you'll find an ample supply of volunteers. I'd probably be interested in helping out.
Potato wrote:...So...You're writing a KS novel or something?

Right...Good luck with that. .-.
I think he's talking about putting the KS script up on Wattpad. I'm not confident in the chances of that happening, either, but it can't hurt to ask.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Potato

Post by Potato »

Yeah, I'm with FA here. Just spread the VN itself to people. It's the superior form of KS. Just putting up the script removes the music, sprites, animations, CGs, background...If you want to spread KS around, spread the whole, not just a fraction.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
MaxwellAbstruse c:

Forever_ambivalent wrote:Why don't you just make a poll?
Also, why do you want to make a transcription of KS? You will have to make up 35-45% (yes, I am just making up these numbers of the top of my head. Probably isn't true but the message is still there) just so that it would make sense as a novel.

If you really want to spread the word about KS, I think it might just be best for you to go and spread the word about the game rather than copy this and paste it somewhere else with a bunch of added stuff.
Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. I've been doing this really scatter brained. :P The real motivation for this is that it seem that a barrier to actually going through the VN is that it has to be installed, and is a rather big file. I feel like a format that people are already familiar with would be ideal to sharing the work. Also, I plan to do this regardless, its just a matter of it being ok to distribute that I have asked the devs about, to wattpad. I'm aware of an android apk, but as I have an Iphone...I'd really love a portable version of it for myself.
Potato

Post by Potato »

MaxwellAbstruse c: wrote:

Thank you, I hadn't thought of that. I've been doing this really scatter brained. :P The real motivation for this is that it seem that a barrier to actually going through the VN is that it has to be installed, and is a rather big file. I feel like a format that people are already familiar with would be ideal to sharing the work. Also, I plan to do this regardless, its just a matter of it being ok to distribute that I have asked the devs about, to wattpad. I'm aware of an android apk, but as I have an Iphone...I'd really love a portable version of it for myself.
The ideal way to share any work is in that work's complete and intended form, not in a fragmented form that panders to lazy people who can't even be bothered to download a single file. And it's not even a big file. :lol:

Plus if they're too shitty and impatient to click a few buttons to install it, they have no right to experience it anyway. It's literally just five buttons.

A portable version will never exist. They've said as much many times before.
Forever_ambivalent

Post by Forever_ambivalent »

MaxwellAbstruse c: wrote:

I think the android apk was done against the developers wishes (not sure).
If you want to do this just to that you have a portable version to read than just stop. Transcribing KS to a novel format (or even a proper script format) would take A LOT of work. You will need to write down all the background scenes, the expressions, whatever actions and movements the character's may take and ETC.
Not to mention the music. Do you plan on taking out the music from KS? The music contributes a great deal to the beauty of KS.

I think you haven't considered the effort that needs to be put in to make a KS novel work. It's certainly not something simple and it will be arduous and take a lot of time.
Don't underestimate the effort required in simply transcribing a VN to a novel. It's not something that you can randomly decide to do one day.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

If you pick anything other than the good endings, I will find you, and I will make a necklace out of your teeth. :evil:
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

You should write the Hanako bad end.

The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
MaxwellAbstruse c:

Nuuuu, I was being irrational before. I hadn't thought all of the work it would need to fill in for the absence of music, pictures, animations, etc. It was a silly idea. I've just been feeling down and obsessed recently with KS with this feeling of emptiness. I just feel like I need to do something big with it, whether for myself or to share, to really release myself from it. :P *Derp*
Mirage_GSM

Post by Mirage_GSM »

A similar project was proposed before and rejected by the devs.
Generally, as long as you plan to do it only for personal use, noone's going to complain, but if you plan to publish it, the answer is probably going to be "no".

It took me no more than an hour to create a file with all the lines for making a wordcount and for quick-referencing quotes for the translation, so if the devs were planning a novel version of KS they could have done so already without any problems.
Emi > Misha > Hanako > Lilly > Rin > Shizune

My collected KS-Fan Fictions: Mirage's Myths
griffon8 wrote:Kosher, just because sex is your answer to everything doesn't mean that sex is the answer to everything.
Sore wa himitsu desu.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Im sure I remember the devs saying they didnt want the game to Transcribed somewhere, I cant seem to find the post.

Probably my imagination.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl