Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by SpunkySix » Fri Jan 16, 2015 8:49 pm

Holy handicaps, I just finished the scene where Kenji takes off his glasses and now I'm at 54% completion. That means that a year and a half after beginning, I'm now officially more than halfway done.

Achievement Unlocked
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by brythain » Fri Jan 16, 2015 9:11 pm

SpunkySix wrote:Holy handicaps, I just finished the scene where Kenji takes off his glasses and now I'm at 54% completion. That means that a year and a half after beginning, I'm now officially more than halfway done.

Achievement Unlocked
That scene where he takes off his glasses is a defining moment. It is the point at which you realise that he's not insane, or alternatively, that everyone else is. :D
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
BMFJack
Posts: 165
Joined: Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:53 pm

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by BMFJack » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:01 pm

SpunkySix wrote:That means that a year and a half after beginning, I'm now officially more than halfway done.
Holy hell, Spunky. I got 100% completion within a month! But I've always been a completionist. I just had to know, man. I just had to know...

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by YZQ » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:11 pm

Well, never a big fan of VNs, so my completion is definitely a low percentage.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Atario » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:28 pm

This comment made me think what a school for the handicapped might be in a magical-girl world. Maybe some of the handicaps would be magic ones. Like, whenever Kamisa tries to cast Thunderbolt, it just squirts a mess of vanilla pudding instead and she feels a little itchy.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by YZQ » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:31 pm

That will be Misha's handicap: can't cast an offensive spell to save her life.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by brythain » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:38 pm

Atario wrote:This comment made me think what a school for the handicapped might be in a magical-girl world. Maybe some of the handicaps would be magic ones. Like, whenever Kamisa tries to cast Thunderbolt, it just squirts a mess of vanilla pudding instead and she feels a little itchy.
That's interesting food for thought, Atario.

I would imagine that Rin would have problems with 'traditional' spell casting gestures, and they'd have to figure out a way to allow her to do non-gesture or different-gesture casting, or casting from magic items—like painted amulets and such, or a paintbrush wand.

Lilly might have problems visualising effects, so watching her cast spells might be a very different thing—she might go for enchantments (of people or things) which would not be subtle because they might have obvious visual effects (like an aura of compulsion around a person) which sighted casters would work to eliminate.

Shizune might have problems generating exact syllables for spells requiring a specific audible component. Gestures, however, would certainly not be a problem for her, and they might thus work with her to put more of the semantic or semiotic load into signs rather than sounds.

You could have people with synaesthesia which would screw up some spell casting (like illusion-making). Wow... there are just so many ideas.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by YZQ » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:44 pm

Lily's spells being flashy and Shizune's spells being loud: more cat-clawing fodder.

Also, Rin casting spells by mistake whenever she goes off-tangent in her conversations.
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Atario » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:54 pm

YZQ wrote:That will be Misha's handicap: can't cast an offensive spell to save her life.
Hah, good point. But she can materialize a parfait like no other!
brythain wrote:I would imagine that Rin would have problems with 'traditional' spell casting gestures
But she could do amazing things given an hour and a flat surface for a Magic Circle.
Lilly might have problems visualising effects
Maybe magic could be used to fill in sometimes for ordinary physical disabilities. Like Lilly could occasionally use some kind of "sense" magic to let her do something that would ordinarily require sight — not in granting her temporary sight, but some kind of "mystical spatial awareness" kind of thing where she's just able to know what direction something silent and far-off is, or to detect printed patterns or coloration or the like.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by brythain » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:56 pm

YZQ wrote:Lily's spells being flashy and Shizune's spells being loud: more cat-clawing fodder.

Also, Rin casting spells by mistake whenever she goes off-tangent in her conversations.
Ha, the Lily/Shizune bit reminds me of the one and only 'fight scene' in KS.

The Rin one reminds me of Neil Gaiman's Delirium, especially this one by DuskFlare.

Image
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by brythain » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:00 pm

Atario wrote:
YZQ wrote:That will be Misha's handicap: can't cast an offensive spell to save her life.
Hah, good point. But she can materialize a parfait like no other!
brythain wrote:I would imagine that Rin would have problems with 'traditional' spell casting gestures
But she could do amazing things given an hour and a flat surface for a Magic Circle.
Lilly might have problems visualising effects
Maybe magic could be used to fill in sometimes for ordinary physical disabilities. Like Lilly could occasionally use some kind of "sense" magic to let her do something that would ordinarily require sight — not in granting her temporary sight, but some kind of "mystical spatial awareness" kind of thing where she's just able to know what direction something silent and far-off is, or to detect printed patterns or coloration or the like.
I can just imagine Misha spending hours in summoning/conjuration class producing different 'summon dessert' and 'add topping' spells...

Yes, Rin. I bet she could balance herself on one foot, hold a chalk in her other foot, and sweep out a perfect magic circle.

I wonder if Lilly could use magic to 'see through' an attuned person's eyes — like through an animal companion or a close friend sharing a bond of some sort. She'd have to go to classes to teach her how to make sense of those parallel sensory inputs.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
Oscar Wildecat
Posts: 478
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 7:28 pm
Location: A short drive west of Kingdom Come.

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Oscar Wildecat » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:00 pm

Don't forget about the magical girls that are more "physical" than "metaphysical" -- so to speak. For example, Emi and Miki vying for the gold metal in the 40 km sprints...

...which of course leads to Hisao's Bad Ending when Emi runs into him at just under the speed of sound. :wink:
Last edited by Oscar Wildecat on Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I like all the girls in KS, but empathize with Hanako the most.
"Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience." - Mark Twain
“Diplomacy is the art of telling people to go to hell in such a way that they ask for directions.” - Winston Churchill
Checkout SordidEuphemism's Logo Thread.

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by brythain » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:02 pm

Oscar Wildecat wrote:Don't forget about the magical girls that are more "physical" than "metaphysical" -- so to speak. For example, Emi and Miki vying for the gold metal in the 40 km sprints...
I imagine them producing 'phantom limbs' like lightsabers. Also, seven-league track shoes.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Atario » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:04 pm

Oscar Wildecat wrote:Don't forget about the magical girls that are more "physical" than "metaphysical" -- so to speak. For example, Emi and Miki vying for the gold metal in the 40 km sprints...
"Hey, no flying allowed!"

Image
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

YZQ
Posts: 1290
Joined: Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:21 am

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by YZQ » Fri Jan 16, 2015 11:25 pm

"Young lady, if you wanna fly, attach those wings to your back!"
"Nothing is beneath man. Everything is permitted."

"...since love and fear can hardly exist together, if we must choose between them, it is far safer to be feared than loved. However, it is important above all to avoid being hated."

Post Reply