Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

KeiichiO

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by KeiichiO »

Atario wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:Huh. How do I put this lightly... It would be a bowdlerized travesty. I'd rather not watch it period than to cut out major plot points simply because they upset me.
Well, there you have it. Similarly, avoiding KS's bad-ends is the same kinda deal. As is turning off the H-scenes. Or, say, force-skipping through Kenji scenes, or whatever.
Not really. At all. They're alternate endings. You can avoid them if you wish. You can't avoid death in Game of Thrones. Valar Morghulis, after all.
Pyramid Head wrote:You're just down on shipping shenanigans because the weird comics said you broke up with Mai, aren't you, Fire Lord Zukko?
I haven't read that yet... I mean... HONOR! *Disappears in a cloud of smoke*
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:
SpunkySix wrote: As for your idea, I like it a lot. I'd quite enjoy seeing that system being improved upon, not just in the actual Harvest Moon but in a KS genre-bent game of sorts. It has potential, but nothing kills romance like doing nothing but waking up and giving an NPC grapes every day so that you can watch a cold, hard number go up until you win enough "marry me" points. That's like... the opposite of how actual dating is supposed to work. Absolutely no passion involved.
There was a dating sim that I tried out of curiosity (to date, the ONLY one I've tried) called Heartstring Bugs, and everything about that was either numbers or trial and error/luck. The numbers point you made is spot on, and the luck element was really overblown - say your wore the wrong colour dress, rather than for them to just go 'I think blue's your colour' or something, the person you're trying to date reacts REALLY negatively, which sucks. It's just a dress! Although I can't help feeling I picked a bad title, it does utterly kill any mood being set - but then, anything based as a 'sim' that works through numbers is always going to do that.
A lot of dating sims are like that. Just... bad. That's actually part of the reason I ended up breaking down and trying KS in the first place.

Oh, I'm sorry, did I get you the WRONG COLORED EXPENSIVE-ASS JEWELRY?! Here, why don't you go to Hell, then come back when you're ready to stop being an insufferable bitch? Maybe next time I'll buy you the blue necklace, since I should have just freaking known that's what you wanted despite never even having the option to talk about colors at any point.

And then it's weird because you'll go on the same date but with a different gift, and they act like the previous, near-identical date never happened. Kind of unsettling, actually.
Penile fracture. (Don't search for that if you know what's good for you.
I don't. I did. No regrets.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

Oh, I'm sorry, did I get you the WRONG COLORED EXPENSIVE-ASS JEWELRY?! Here, why don't you go to Hell, then come back when you're ready to stop being an insufferable bitch? Maybe next time I'll buy you the blue necklace, since I should have just freaking known that's what you wanted despite never even having the option to talk about colors at any point.
I've never liked those things.

"Oh, you bought me a $10,000 diamond necklace? I'm sorry, but I wanted a $5 teddy bear instead. You obviously don't really love me."

Then a few scenes later she gives you a quiz. "Okay, what kind of car did I say my dad drives eight scenes ago? What kind of animal did I really like at the zoo? What kind of cereal do I like the best?"
Not Dead Yet
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Oddball wrote:
I've never liked those things.

"Oh, you bought me a $10,000 diamond necklace? I'm sorry, but I wanted a $5 teddy bear instead. You obviously don't really love me."

Then a few scenes later she gives you a quiz. "Okay, what kind of car did I say my dad drives eight scenes ago? What kind of animal did I really like at the zoo? What kind of cereal do I like the best?"
All vital things to know and be able to regurgitate at a moment's notice for a budding romance.
Atario

Post by Atario »

KeiichiO wrote:They're alternate endings. You can avoid them if you wish. You can't avoid death in Game of Thrones. Valar Morghulis, after all.
Sure you can. You're just not trying hard enough.

But my point is that it calling them "alternate endings" in no way obviates that they're an inherent part of the art. Cherry-picking a work of art for the parts of it you do or don't like is silly under any circumstance, and furthermore a bit of an insult to the artist(s).
Oddball wrote:"Oh, you bought me a $10,000 diamond necklace? I'm sorry, but I wanted a $5 teddy bear instead. You obviously don't really love me."
I'm reminded of Madonna's video for "Material Girl".
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
ParagonTerminus

Post by ParagonTerminus »

So I searched penile fracture, and the only times I've been more disturbed was when I watched the viseo for DyE - Fantasy and when I watched "Shrek Is Love Shrek Is Life" (more of a WTF did I just see moment though)

Anyways, for some reason I have this obsessive idea that Lilly would make a good engineer for a spaceship/tank/boat/etc because she somehow would know exactly how all the components fit together... Kinda like a blind Kaylee from Firefly.

Ah, I still remember those glorious 5 posts of sexy KS-Firefly shipping.
The best feeling in the world (FTL)

I am legitimately the only member of this website who unconditionally despises Kenji.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Atario wrote:
KeiichiO wrote:They're alternate endings. You can avoid them if you wish. You can't avoid death in Game of Thrones. Valar Morghulis, after all.
Sure you can. You're just not trying hard enough.

Cherry-picking a work of art for the parts of it you do or don't like is silly under any circumstance, and furthermore a bit of an insult to the artist(s).
Not when they explicitly give you the option to do so as part of the work, it isn't.

And don't even get me started on DYE Fantasy. I think that one scarred me for life, to the point where I had a really, really hard time fapping to it. Except in reality I didn't do that at all because it was freaking terrifying. :|
Potato

Post by Potato »

Oddball wrote:"What kind of cereal do I like the best?"
"A nice nutritional serving of FUCK YOU, I QUIT."

Unrelated: DyE - Fantasy is an amazing video.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

I totally respect that Emi takes care of herself and I think her dedication to healthiness is attractive, but I'm not quite the health nut she is when it comes to food, and she probably wouldn't approve of the crap I put in myself sometimes. I'd definitely get nagged.

Still, sometimes nothing beats a good fruit salad under a thin layer of creamy vanilla yogurt with pure water on the side. I feel like that's something we'd agree on there.
Atario

Post by Atario »

SpunkySix wrote:
Atario wrote:Cherry-picking a work of art for the parts of it you do or don't like is silly under any circumstance, and furthermore a bit of an insult to the artist(s).
Not when they explicitly give you the option to do so as part of the work, it isn't.
Everything explicitly gives you the option. Nobody's got a gun to your head.

SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Atario wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
Atario wrote:Cherry-picking a work of art for the parts of it you do or don't like is silly under any circumstance, and furthermore a bit of an insult to the artist(s).
Everything explicitly gives you the option. Nobody's got a gun to your head.
Sure, but this VN's entire gameplay consists of choosing options. It comes out and tells you, "here, pick where you want to go" and then when you go there, absolutely nothing indicates that you are under any sort of obligation to look at the other options. There's a percentage and some extras not unlocked, which in video game terms means pretty much nothing.

Believe me too, I'm sure nobody's gonna cry if you don't go back and watch Hanako blow up after you get her good ending. It might be slightly annoying, but nothing about it is an insult any more than not doing a Renegade run of Mass Effect after you go Paragon is an insult to Bioware. Meaning that it isn't.
Atario

Post by Atario »

SpunkySix wrote:Sure, but this VN's entire gameplay consists of choosing options. It comes out and tells you, "here, pick where you want to go" and then when you go there, absolutely nothing indicates that you are under any sort of obligation to look at the other options. There's a percentage and some extras not unlocked, which in video game terms means pretty much nothing.
There's no obligation to do anything. That doesn't mean I can look at three scenes and declare myself "finished".

Oddball

Post by Oddball »

I finished reading War and Peace once.

I don't see what the big deal is. It's only three words.
Not Dead Yet
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

Oddball wrote:I finished reading War and Peace once.

I don't see what the big deal is. It's only three words.
Oh, you.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

Atario wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Sure, but this VN's entire gameplay consists of choosing options. It comes out and tells you, "here, pick where you want to go" and then when you go there, absolutely nothing indicates that you are under any sort of obligation to look at the other options. There's a percentage and some extras not unlocked, which in video game terms means pretty much nothing.
There's no obligation to do anything. That doesn't mean I can look at three scenes and declare myself "finished".
Because reading three scenes and reading an entire route from start to finish are totally the same thing. You get the credits, the story is over. That's being finished, even if there's more you can potentially do with it afterwards.

Ever stop and consider that something loses value if you have to do it out of some misplaced sense of obligation?