Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by SpunkySix »

KeiichiO wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:*Defensive Spunky*
Hmmm. Every time someone says something negative about Emi, Spunky writes a long, drawn out response trying to prove them wrong...

*Rubs hands together maliciously*

Anyways, I could see a KS game made in RPG Maker working kinda like the dating aspect in Harvest Moon where you gain affection points by talking to a certain girl and giving her specific gifts, only I'd think it could be handled much better. Instead of giving them the same gift every day, going to sleep and repeating the process the next day, I think affection points can be gained through the decisions you make, like how you end up on a route in the actual game.
Well... not really, I mean... shut up. :evil:

As for your idea, I like it a lot. I'd quite enjoy seeing that system being improved upon, not just in the actual Harvest Moon but in a KS genre-bent game of sorts. It has potential, but nothing kills romance like doing nothing but waking up and giving an NPC grapes every day so that you can watch a cold, hard number go up until you win enough "marry me" points. That's like... the opposite of how actual dating is supposed to work. Absolutely no passion involved.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Potato

Post by Potato »

SpunkySix wrote:...is she?
Yes. Yes she was.

And KS in RPG Maker would work about the same as the VN, assuming it was aiming to recreate it. More room for choices and things though.

So I may have utilized a heavily modded Minecraft to turn the Rainbow Wizard into a boss fight...It's pretty bizarre.
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Atario

Post by Atario »

Some analogies were drawn regarding Game Of Thrones. What if someone offered you an edited version of the show where no one dies? Would that be a better, more desirable show? Or would it be a bowdlerized travesty?

Next, same questions, but now substitute a random Shakespeare play.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

SpunkySix wrote: As for your idea, I like it a lot. I'd quite enjoy seeing that system being improved upon, not just in the actual Harvest Moon but in a KS genre-bent game of sorts. It has potential, but nothing kills romance like doing nothing but waking up and giving an NPC grapes every day so that you can watch a cold, hard number go up until you win enough "marry me" points. That's like... the opposite of how actual dating is supposed to work. Absolutely no passion involved.
There was a dating sim that I tried out of curiosity (to date, the ONLY one I've tried) called Heartstring Bugs, and everything about that was either numbers or trial and error/luck. The numbers point you made is spot on, and the luck element was really overblown - say your wore the wrong colour dress, rather than for them to just go 'I think blue's your colour' or something, the person you're trying to date reacts REALLY negatively, which sucks. It's just a dress! Although I can't help feeling I picked a bad title, it does utterly kill any mood being set - but then, anything based as a 'sim' that works through numbers is always going to do that.
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Atario wrote:Some analogies were drawn regarding Game Of Thrones. What if someone offered you an edited version of the show where no one dies? Would that be a better, more desirable show? Or would it be a bowdlerized travesty?
Huh. How do I put this lightly... It would be a bowdlerized travesty. I'd rather not watch it period than to cut out major plot points simply because they upset me.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

AaronIsCrunchy wrote:There was a dating sim that I tried out of curiosity (to date, the ONLY one I've tried) called Heartstring Bugs, and everything about that was either numbers or trial and error/luck. The numbers point you made is spot on, and the luck element was really overblown - say your wore the wrong colour dress, rather than for them to just go 'I think blue's your colour' or something, the person you're trying to date reacts REALLY negatively, which sucks. It's just a dress! Although I can't help feeling I picked a bad title, it does utterly kill any mood being set - but then, anything based as a 'sim' that works through numbers is always going to do that.

HA! That kind of reminds me of a way someone described Katawa Shoujo. It was made by people who actually have had sex and knew how relationships work. Oftentimes dating sims are so fucking bizarre they seem like the cheap horny fanfiction i wrote when i was 15. Heartsting Bugs kind of sounds like a dating sim by Kenji, he wants a woman to be with him but still blames women for his pitiful state and makes the women in the game huge bitches. And all this because he killed the mood with Lilly when he came too early...
The fear of blood tends to create fear for the flesh.
Potato

Post by Potato »

Pyramid Head wrote:...Kenji, he wants a woman to be with him but still blames women for his pitiful state and makes the women in the game huge bitches. And all this because he killed the mood with Lilly when he came too early...
Who did what with who now?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

Potato wrote:
Pyramid Head wrote:...Kenji, he wants a woman to be with him but still blames women for his pitiful state and makes the women in the game huge bitches. And all this because he killed the mood with Lilly when he came too early...
Who did what with who now?

Well for multiple reasons including the fact that a lot of Katawa Shoujo's earlier drafts were rejected for good reasons and because i like Yuuko but not Kenji, my personal headcanon rejects the idea that Yuuko is Kenji's mysterious ex, and that the event that actually cost him his girlfriend and drove him mad was premature ejaculation. And i chose Lilly as his ex because no one with functioning eyes would date someone in that scarf, much less come close to sleeping with it.
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

I wouldn't blame anyone for rejecting the Kenji/Yuuko ship (not a big fan of it myself), but you're aware of the fact that Lilly never dated anyone before and is a virgin, right?
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.
KeiichiO

Post by KeiichiO »

Guest Poster wrote:I wouldn't blame anyone for rejecting the Kenji/Yuuko ship (not a big fan of it myself), but you're aware of the fact that Lilly never dated anyone before and is a virgin, right?
I can't quite put my finger on it, but something tells me you shouldn't be taking his post seriously...
Pyramid Head

Post by Pyramid Head »

KeiichiO wrote:I can't quite put my finger on it, but something tells me you shouldn't be taking his post seriously...

You're just down on shipping shenanigans because the weird comics said you broke up with Mai, aren't you, Fire Lord Zukko?
Guest Poster wrote:I wouldn't blame anyone for rejecting the Kenji/Yuuko ship (not a big fan of it myself), but you're aware of the fact that Lilly never dated anyone before and is a virgin, right?
Well we also know she was somewhat awkward around the subject because she spent a lot of her time in a conservative girls only school. It's possible that the stupid virgin Kenji interpreted what she thought as simple friendship as true love while she didn't even realize what they did counted as dating. Mira knows Kenji believes in enough strange things to have sufficient levels of brain damage to believe in true love.
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

While I find the idea of Kenji x Lilly completely absurd, if we're going with the premature ejaculation hypothesis... maybe we could extend dewelar's comparison of Lilly to Didi from Menage a 3, to her effects on her partners?

I'd link to the relevant comic (in which one of Didi's partners lasts negative 37 seconds or something), but I'm at work, and I ain't pulling up Ma3 at work.

That said, the idea of Lilly x Kenji is completely ridiculous, and doesn't line up with canon even for that.

Which reminds me, in that thread, I suggested that if Iwanako was Zii, that would make Hanako either Yuki (the phallophobe) or Sonya (the clueless Not A Lesbian (then again, signs are that she really isn't a lesbian, she's a bisexual dramasexual)). I'm gonna take it back and say that Hanako's actually Sandra (although both the modeling career and the previous food service job wouldn't have happened). Both have severe anxiety, and both have shown tendencies to hit the bottle hard to avoid the anxiety (Hanako canonically abuses the wine as an anxiolitic in her route's version of her birthday party). And, Sandra x Didi was something that was teased, similarly, there's implications (oh so very false ones, but implications nonetheless - some of which are even in Lilly's name) of Hanako x Lilly.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
brythain

Post by brythain »

I think it's far more obvious that Kenji x Hisao is the premature ejaculation route. It's obvious. They go up on the roof, share fluids, and at the climax of the moment, Hisao reaches both the highest and lowest points of his existence at Yamaku. And of course, we all know what the last soul-crunching sound is a metaphor for.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Atario

Post by Atario »

KeiichiO wrote:Huh. How do I put this lightly... It would be a bowdlerized travesty. I'd rather not watch it period than to cut out major plot points simply because they upset me.
Well, there you have it. Similarly, avoiding KS's bad-ends is the same kinda deal. As is turning off the H-scenes. Or, say, force-skipping through Kenji scenes, or whatever.
brythain wrote:I think it's far more obvious that Kenji x Hisao is the premature ejaculation route. It's obvious. They go up on the roof, share fluids, and at the climax of the moment, Hisao reaches both the highest and lowest points of his existence at Yamaku. And of course, we all know what the last soul-crunching sound is a metaphor for.
Penile fracture. (Don't search for that if you know what's good for you.)
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

More stupid thoughts on webcomic crossovers. This time, QC.

Hanako and Claire would be best friends forever, once they could open up to one another. I don't ship them, purely because Claire doesn't appear to swing that way, and they'd totally feed off of each other's anxieties, but I could see them being extremely close friends. I think Hanako's circle of friends would also include Hannelore and Marigold, but who knows. I think she'd be suspicious of Momo, though, seeing as Momo is Marigold's Lilly in effect.

Emi would have major communication issues with the cast, but otherwise, I could maybe see her and Faye becoming friends. The thing is, Faye would find her an airheaded twit, and Emi would find Faye a crazy bitch, and they'd have to get past that, and then their own anxieties about opening up about their past.

I'm not sure how Rin and Emily would get along. I have this idea that Emily would either idolize Rin, or hate that she's been outweirded. I'm not sure how Rin would take either of those.

Lilly and Momo would be an interesting interaction to depict. That's about the only way Lilly would fit in, she's too polite otherwise.

Misha... I'm thinking she ends up in Tai's circle of friends somehow, and maybe Dora's as well. Not entirely because she's a lesbian, either.

And then there's Shizune. Hannelore would be both terrified and impressed by her, Dora would be impressed and then terrified (and jealous), and Faye would be impressed.

Getting into KS's side characters, Akira would totally go drinking with Faye and Dora.

Hideaki x Sam? Oh god, now I'm shipping fictional teenagers that aren't even in the same fictional universe.

Jigoro x Beatrice... oh god, now I'm making ships that make SENSE between fictional universes.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!