Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

FBOF

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by FBOF »

As suggested, played through ACT 2 of the Shizume route and was pleasantly suprised at some points. I'd indulge in her competitive spirit and it did lift the value the story had a bit. Eager to see if it got progressively better in ACT 3, I quickly jumped in but felt uninvested by the end of it.

Hisao seemed especially brash when talking to Hideaki, something I hadn't experience him doing so casually to anyone (aside from the fight with Emi, but that frustration rather than disinterest). It seemed out of character to me, even if he felt dealing with a younger brother was beneath him (being the old teenager & all). Reckon it can be attributed to Shizume rubbing off on him, but I couldn't convince myself of that fact so readily. Then Kenji 2.0 entered the room in the form Jigoro. I disliked Kenji rather quickly with spouting mad schemes & bullshit but god... Jigoro felt like an even worse offender! Constantly insulting the PC & clutching a sword like some sort of death-threat. A total SOB, just to veer the story onto a side-trail. Even though many will see him as comic relief, I couldn't care less about the character and just bored through his scenes with blazing speed, not even registering what he had to say from the second scene onward (same boat with Kenji). Misha's deal with wanting to have pity-sex with Hisao came out of left field for me. I could see why she would do such a thing and why she'd feel frustrated, but only after spilling her guts on the roof. Such occasions happen in real life as well, no doubt there but I felt so disconnected by that time from both characters that it felt tacked on rather than a dramatic turn of events. Maybe it's just me since I couldn't get into Shizume from the get-go in ACT 1 and Misha always seemed more like a same-sex kinda girl to me than having an intrest in men. Couldn't help but feel pride/accomplished that my suspecious were confirmed (or perhaps even partially, bisexuals exist) by the end of ACT 3. Good on those who thoroughly enjoyed this path, but I must sadly admit I don't share that sentiment.

All in all: Can see why it's only a neutral & bad ending for this route. Seeing I don't feel anything special for either Shizume or even Misha at this late stage in the game, I feel this arc was not meant to be for me. Time to finish ACT 4 out of completionist' sake but doubt anything will drasticly improve for my perspective. Regardless, I appreciate the input posted in regards to my first post.
Last edited by FBOF on Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Spoiler tag anything imporant, Please, people will get pissed.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

You know, when I first saw Misha's new haircut, my first thought was "Why is Misha rocking baby dyke hair?"
AaronIsCrunchy

Post by AaronIsCrunchy »

Liminaut wrote:You know, when I first saw Misha's new haircut, my first thought was "Why is Misha rocking baby dyke hair?"
Haha, but baby dyke hair Misha is best Misha :P
Because green eyes are best eyes.
http://ks.renai.us/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=9511 - A thread of my drawings. Don't expect a lot.

Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

Comrade wrote:Can you please enlighten us then?

makes you wonder why it would be written like that to a primarly western audience.
Sorry, has been busy for a while so I have little time to visit the forums.

Why is it written like that? Shizune's route, I mean.

I've been through this over and over, occassionally after a few rereads I tend to find new things and expanded/elaborated the details of my previous findings. It's all over the board, discussions after discussions that may be too long didn't read--but that's why it is important.

One thing I figured when looking at how A22 wrote Shizune's route is how not only is he after character developments, but also authenticity that is backed with what seems to be extensive knowledge of the ins and outs of what life is like in Japan. I myself was amazed at first read, which is why I got hooked to Shizune, her character, and her route almost instantly. If I am to add, Shizune's route contains one more genre that is missing in all routes (bar the drama and romance):

Slice of life.

The lack of choices, for one, is one of them. How many times in life do you get to make a 'choice' that seriously impacts yours and other people's lives? Not many, I assume (at least in a weekly basis). Choices given in the other routes are often superficial purely to keep you amused--it's like that red-blue-green choice in Mass Effect and its instagram-filter ending. The only time you get to make a decision is when Hisao is making a risk to left Misha be or broke it all just because.

Tell me, how many of you didn't realize at first look that cutting your hair (if you have a particular set of distinct hairstyle) means that you are moving on from an u requited love? Or the meaning that a packed bento lunch given by someone holds? There's more of something like these--some of which involving the Hakamichi family as a whole and what the entire visit is, but I'm not going into that detail--for now.
To add to that, there is also one point that most people miss. It is only in Shizune's route that you see Hisao actively pursuing Shizune--particularly the language barrier. What I often see in other route, it's mostly Hisao standing around interracting with the girls and them getting interested in him. Not in Shizune's route. Sure, she's interested in him since he's that 'mysterious transfer student', but there is more: and it has to do with being a member of the student council.

...I think I'm starting to wander off here, so I'll end this here for now. I have studies to catch up.
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Well, technically speaking, Hisao pursues Rin as well. She's the only other girl he outright asks to be his girlfriend. With... less than desirable results, I suppose.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
FBOF

Post by FBOF »

Megumeru wrote:
Comrade wrote:*snip*
*snip*
You make valid points and I'm intrested to read more about it. All said references indeed went straight over my head (reckon most of the newbie western audience would feel that way), which I do believe is a good thing this game has going for it: pundits and total laymen can both appreciate the content it offers.

Even though the others stories show a more passive Hisao, it did feel natural for a parishioner like myself. Taken from his old environment and dropped in a new one with noone to inherently count on, I reckon I'd just be glad to make even a few friends and hang with them solely to give my life a new drive. Being illiterate when it comes to Japanese culture, it's comforting how easily accessible the game is while still leaving some room for when one is intrigued to know more. Other VN's I've played implemented japanese terms on a near constant basis which, even when googled for to catch up, did dim my excitement as it constantly reminded me how I was clueless about even the most basic of insights/flair. Far more experienced or hardened people will be more amused by the direct characters and references woven into the text & imagery which might even give players of old a new lease on the game once they can comprehend its details/insights.

Like I said before: I reckon the route is done well, but I was not the right person to enjoy it thoroughly based on my limited knowledge and personality.
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

I just finished Rin's route, my final route in Katawa Shoujo. Along with the desperate feeling that I need to come to an understanding with my own self on how I feel about Rin's story and Rin herself, there's a subtle sadness lingering in pit of my stomach that refuses to surface, made worse by the fact that I don't feel as much as I thought I would at all. I've heard so many stories of people feeling emotionally wrecked when they finally had no more Katawa Shoujo to read, but that hasn't happened to me yet, despite over an hour passing since it ended.

I think...I think maybe it was a good thing that I started to socialize with other Katawa Shoujo fans. I began the game in isolation, but didn't stay that way. Maybe it's good that I have a little more objectivity in my view of Katawa Shoujo from having learned more about the developers by reading their posts here. It is what it is, even if I haven't fully formulated in my mind what it is. Probably.

Oh my God I'm sounding like Rin. I jut need to lie down and try to begin to collect my thoughts..
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
FBOF

Post by FBOF »

Valjean Lafitte wrote:I just finished Rin's route, my final route in Katawa Shoujo. Along with the desperate feeling that I need to come to an understanding with my own self on how I feel about Rin's story and Rin herself, there's a subtle sadness lingering in pit of my stomach that refuses to surface, made worse by the fact that I don't feel as much as I thought I would at all. I've heard so many stories of people feeling emotionally wrecked when they finally had no more Katawa Shoujo to read, but that hasn't happened to me yet, despite over an hour passing since it ended.

I think...I think maybe it was a good thing that I started to socialize with other Katawa Shoujo fans. I began the game in isolation, but didn't stay that way. Maybe it's good that I have a little more objectivity in my view of Katawa Shoujo from having learned more about the developers by reading their posts here. It is what it is, even if I haven't fully formulated in my mind what it is. Probably.

Oh my God I'm sounding like Rin. I jut need to lie down and try to begin to collect my thoughts..
I can see where you're coming from, I've been emotionally crippled & isolated for some time now due to circumstances not improving even when trying my best to counteract them. This game has offered me solace and writing down my experiences has allowed me to connect to people I've never even known and alleviate what wretched thoughts I had.

I regards to finishing Katawa Shoujo, do not feel sad that you finished the game. Be glad that you have obtained new memories which helped you explore new insights and help you lighten your mind. Life the same in that regard, it isn't about getting to the end, but to experience what comes and learn from it. At times we need to view the world from someone else's perspective to gain a new lease on life and this game helped me do so, I hope it did the same for you. Even though every journey comes to an end, we can appreciate the entire journey by looking back at how far we have come and what moments it has given us.
Valjean Lafitte

Post by Valjean Lafitte »

FBOF wrote:
Valjean Lafitte wrote:I just finished Rin's route, my final route in Katawa Shoujo. Along with the desperate feeling that I need to come to an understanding with my own self on how I feel about Rin's story and Rin herself, there's a subtle sadness lingering in pit of my stomach that refuses to surface, made worse by the fact that I don't feel as much as I thought I would at all. I've heard so many stories of people feeling emotionally wrecked when they finally had no more Katawa Shoujo to read, but that hasn't happened to me yet, despite over an hour passing since it ended.

I can see where you're coming from, I've been emotionally crippled & isolated for some time now due to circumstances not improving even when trying my best to counteract them. This game has offered me solace and writing down my experiences has allowed me to connect to people I've never even known and alleviate what wretched thoughts I had.

I regards to finishing Katawa Shoujo, do not feel sad that you finished the game. Be glad that you have obtained new memories which helped you explore new insights and help you lighten your mind. Life the same in that regard, it isn't about getting to the end, but to experience what comes and learn from it. At times we need to view the world from someone else's perspective to gain a new lease on life and this game helped me do so, I hope it did the same for you. Even though every journey comes to an end, we can appreciate the entire journey by looking back at how far we have come and what moments it has given us.

Reading the bolded, seeing someone express in words exactly what this experience has been like me means more to me than you'll know. Katawa Shoujo has without a doubt opened my eyes to new perspectives and forced me to think long and hard about how to deal with the areas in my life that I have been crippled in for far too long. A piece of fiction gave us a reality check, how about that? :) But it's true, isnt it? I wouldn't trade the past month I've spent playing Katawa Shoujo for anything. Each route has a different life lesson, and I know I'll spend a lot of time reflecting on the ones that hit closest to home. Like Hisao, I know I have to put my past behind me and change (and I have been subtly changing -- I'm definitely not the same as when I started KS).
"I wonder what is it about the rain?"
"Everything."
Charmant

Post by Charmant »

Megumeru wrote:Or the meaning that a packed bento lunch given by someone holds?
I knew this but only because of anime...

I like how the route's written. Western folk may not get all the cultural bits to enjoy but then they get the opportunity to go learn about some culture beyond themselves. :lol: And then they get to re-do the route with that new knowledge at hand.
brythain

Post by brythain »

The fireworks display in Rin's route is the best in any of the routes.
Rin: "I really do like fireworks, even though looking at them makes me feel kinda sad, I think. It's like they want you to look at them so bad so they are loud and bright, but when someone looks, they are already gone… It's like they were not even real."

Hisao: "They are real, I can tell you that… All of this is… real, you know? If you think about it, nothing really lasts for long. Even something like my life or yours is just a blink of an eye in the history of everything, like one of those rockets. Poof, and we're gone… But we're here, aren't we?"

Yeah, this is reality. Rin, sitting next to me, the loud bangs of the fireworks, the vast, unlimited sky. These things are definitely real, even though they won't stay here forever.
I feel warm inside, and I wonder if it's because Rin is so close to me or just the feeling of being alive.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

brythain wrote:The fireworks display in Rin's route is the best in any of the routes.
Yeah... really... touching scene...

*Blubbers listening to Aria De L'Etoile*

But yeah. I really like a lot of the Rin things, especially when she falls asleep on Hisao.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Something for my fellow Brits.

I was getting ready for work* this morning when a feature item came up on BBC Breakfast about disabled artists who paint with their feet and/or mouths. Naturally Rin came to mind so I paid attention. I would share the link but due to rights issues, the BBC don't put Breakfast up on iplayer. The piece centred around Alison Lapper and a art exhibition ‘Art For Everyone: Creativity Despite Disability’ which she launched in London yesterday.

Visiting some prominent art galleries in England and Wales, local artists will be doing live paintings to help inspire the next generation of disabled arts and how their disability doesn't have to hinder them creatively or life in general. The final stops of the exhibition are at the National Museum Cardiff this Wednesday (want to go but work. urgh.) and the View Art Gallery at Bristol next Saturday

Reading up on Alison after I got back from work, I found this article on the Guardian's website (which hopefully can be read by those outside the UK) about her life. Quite a read. Then I saw this imagine. D'aww.

*Ready for work and crawled back into bed for a doze
Last edited by Rhodri on Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Today on "When KS fans get bored":

== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl