Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

Zarys

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Zarys »

I mean, I feel like you said because it's cultural, I can't judge something bad.

The fact that in the culture of Megumeru, womans need so much the approval of their parents (and it's not the same with guy) is not a bit sexist because they are less free in marriage (and so in their whole life) than mens ?

For example, forced marriage is not objectively bad ? or lack of freedom for women in many countries ? (whether social or societal pressure, if a woman have legaly the right to choose who she will married, it's still bad if she deswoned for it or unable to do it in the real life)

I mean, some countries include the lack of speech freedom as a part of their culture, like the untolerance of some islamic states...

CoffeeDrive wrote:
Im sorry what? Sure they can marry anyone they want too, buy they can be disowned in the process. And thats not just Japan, that happens worldwide. Theres nothing legally (Aslong as they are both 18+) stopping two people of opposite genders (Or same sex where thats legal) getting married, even the parents cannot stop that. But annoying the shit out of your parents in Japan by dating someone they dont like is huge. But its not against your human rights for your parents to say "I dont want you to get into a relationship with that person"

Of course that happens elsewhere , but does that mean it is acceptable? there are countries where refuse an arranged marriage is possible dishonorable ... but still acceptable?
Last edited by Zarys on Thu Oct 09, 2014 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
Atario

Post by Atario »

I read that list the first time, and none of it strikes me as particularly alien or hidden or anything. Pretty much everything listed either happens in the West too or is pretty simple to comprehend from context.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

I don't think there is such a thing as a Japan vs. the west, as Japan is very much a practitioner of western culture.
Founder and cheif librarian ofThe Yamaku Library, A Fan Fiction Archive
Vice president of the Yamaku Book Club
Sea wrote:Comrade, as Khan Bek has convinced me to give Democracy a try.
"French are just Spanish Germans, therefore Mexicans."
An American, 2014
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Atario wrote:I read that list the first time, and none of it strikes me as particularly alien or hidden or anything. Pretty much everything listed either happens in the West too or is pretty simple to comprehend from context.
It is implied that this is very much stronger there than here, but I just always critical to this thing no matter his origin.

Possessive parents who do not accept their children's choices (usually daughters ) ?, they are also a sudit american cliché about it, I think, no ? :mrgreen:
Yes I think it is sometimes bad and if it is too absolute, it can lead to impossible situations.
The problem of Megumeru about is that it leaves no escape route in case of abusive parents. :?
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

What kind of escape from abusive parents you can think of?
An American, 2014
Mahorfeus

Post by Mahorfeus »

Whoa, that took an interesting turn.
Atario wrote:I read that list the first time, and none of it strikes me as particularly alien or hidden or anything. Pretty much everything listed either happens in the West too or is pretty simple to comprehend from context.
This is the impression I got as well, though it was some interesting insight. Asides from the Tanabata tradition, nothing is terribly different in the West... though I suppose things can be a little less formal over here.
"A very small degree of hope is sufficient to cause the birth of love." -Stendhal
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

You know, if you disagree , you can say what it's not sexist for you... :?

Don't said you believed all in the "all culture are different, whatever the objective atrocities!" bullshit. :?
Last edited by Zarys on Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

I seriously cannot make sense of the last post.
An American, 2014
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

My objection was based on the fact that a woman need more approvation of her parents than a men, what I find sexist. +
In this case it's japan, but it's not totaly unknown in westerners and I don't approve more here than in Japan.
But I only got things about culture,ect...
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Who said it is only targeted towards women? I recall Hisao having to do the same thing with Akira in Lilly's route, if KS is anything to go by.
An American, 2014
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

In Japan, it is customary for the male to bow towards the Females significant father-esque figure promising to take good care of her.
Its the same as getting a marriage blessing really.

I dont see what your whole argument is Zarys, Its what culture is, its how they do things, if your parents dont agree with your life choices, you either leave or change them. Thats how it is and will always be.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

But hey, I 'm struggling to see why a parent would hate anyone who is serious and had a job. :lol:
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Comrade

Post by Comrade »

Zarys wrote:But hey, I 'm struggling to see why a parent would hate anyone who is serious and had a job. :lol:
Who what when how ?
An American, 2014
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

Comrade wrote:
Zarys wrote:But hey, I 'm struggling to see why a parent would hate anyone who is serious and had a job. :lol:
Who what when how ?
The fuck how is that even related?
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Guest Poster

Post by Guest Poster »

In Japan, marriage isn't traditionally seen as the joining of two people, but the joining of one of the partners into the family of the other. The partner merely being serious and having a job is important, but not necessarily the only thing being looked at. Some are fussier than others, but some parents will have reservations when the groom/bride to be comes from a family that was involved in something shameful, or if the partner has a bad blood type. :P (yeah, silly, but blood type is a huge thing in Japanese culture)

It gets even trickier when the oldest child is getting married, due to the tradition of the oldest child taking care of the parents after the dad retires. That means that the person joining the family is also the person around whom the parents' life will be revolving after they've reached senior citizen age. It's not completely illogical that parents reason that "YOU may like this person a lot, but WE don't want that person looking after us in our old age".
Sisterhood: True Edition. Hanako epilogue I wrote. Now expanded with additional chapters.