Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

metalangel

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by metalangel »

Atario wrote:
metalangel wrote:We see that the VISOR makes everything look like bad visual effects from a 1980s music video.
I got the impression that was how it rendered all the extravisible wavelengths and weird particles and such.
I forgot: internet, no subtlety is allowed.

The VISOR is far more useful than normal human eyesight, yes. The few times we see things though Geordi's view, it's hard to imagine living with, given what sort of vision we're used to.
Atario

Post by Atario »

metalangel wrote:I forgot: internet, no subtlety is allowed.
Since you described his Q-powers-generated natural eyesight as "full color", I thought you were thinking VISOR vision was just a somewhat crappy substitute. One might assume natural-eyesight mode would be a setting on that thing, but being an engineer, he loves to keep it on full-spectrum mode.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Atario wrote:
metalangel wrote:I forgot: internet, no subtlety is allowed.
Since you described his Q-powers-generated natural eyesight as "full color", I thought you were thinking VISOR vision was just a somewhat crappy substitute. One might assume natural-eyesight mode would be a setting on that thing, but being an engineer, he loves to keep it on full-spectrum mode.
You assume incorrectly, sir.
Riker turns to Geordi. As he moves to him and removes
the VISOR, unobtrusively handing it to Geordi:

STAR TREK: Hide And "Q" - 9/25/87 - ACT FIVE 50.

96 CONTINUED:

RIKER
Well, my friend, I know what you
want. Welcome to the wonderful
world of vision.

Geordi looks around in awe. His eyes come to rest on
Tasha.

GEORDI
You're as beautiful as I imagined,
and more.

RIKER
Then we can throw the VISOR away?

Geordi slowly replaces the VISOR over his eyes.

GEORDI
I think not, sir. The price is
a little high for me. I don't
like who I would have to thank.
I can still steer the ship with
this.
The actual view we see during this bit is of the bridge slowly coming into focus in full colour.

No, it doesn't give him full vision. It beats blindness, but it's not vision as we know it.
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

That was one of TNGs weaker episodes, haha.

Still, Geordi was blind from birth, so the Visor vision was all he had known. It's probably safe to assume he was overwhelmed by the new experience and a bit unsettled by the circumstances regarding it, so he chose to go back to what was "normal" for him.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Eurobeatjester wrote:That was one of TNGs weaker episodes, haha.

Still, Geordi was blind from birth, so the Visor vision was all he had known. It's probably safe to assume he was overwhelmed by the new experience and a bit unsettled by the circumstances regarding it, so he chose to go back to what was "normal" for him.
That wasn't even what I was saying. My point all along was that VISOR vision was not what we as sighted people perceive as vision, regardless of some advantages that it did grant the user.

In the context of the episode, Geordi chooses to go back rather than be indebted to Q powers for having full vision. His comments in themselves (regarding Lt Yar) indicate that he doesn't see the world nearly as clearly as we do.

Do I really have to cover every possible, ridiculous misinterpretation in order to say something and have it understood on here?
brythain

Post by brythain »

metalangel wrote:That wasn't even what I was saying. My point all along was that VISOR vision was not what we as sighted people perceive as vision, regardless of some advantages that it did grant the user.

In the context of the episode, Geordi chooses to go back rather than be indebted to Q powers for having full vision. His comments in themselves (regarding Lt Yar) indicate that he doesn't see the world nearly as clearly as we do.
I agree. Whatever the VISOR allowed, he seems to have felt a) it made him more 'him' as navigator (perhaps enhanced his professional competency), b) it was part of his 'usual' life, and/or c) he didn't like the feeling of being indebted to Q.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Eurobeatjester

Post by Eurobeatjester »

Misinterpretation? I was agreeing with you.
Stuff I'm currently writing: Learning To Fly: A Saki Enomoto Pseudo Route
Two Turtledoves - A Lilly/Hisao Christmas Oneshot
Blank Mage wrote:
Eurobeatjester wrote:I doubt my ability to write convincing lesbian erotica
believe in yourself
Atario

Post by Atario »

metalangel wrote:No, it doesn't give him full vision. It beats blindness, but it's not vision as we know it.
Meh. Seems like a writer-imposed technological flaw. An instrument which could render vision in a greater spectrum than a natural one would surely be able to render the lesser, natural one (particularly considering natural vision only has three simple response profiles — S, M, and L (B, G, and R, respectively)). And I certainly can't buy that by that far-flung century, they haven't got enough resolution to match it, either. Hell, we're nearly there now.

The hard part of the whole thing is really the neural interface, and they seem to have that down pat.
Eurobeatjester wrote:Misinterpretation? I was agreeing with you.
Metalangel likes to be disagreed with, let him have this :lol:

Charmant

Post by Charmant »

Okay, so Yamaku turned into a dragon, moon colonists happened and now the black dude from Star Trek is here. Every time I leave this thread alone, I come back to crazy...
Atario

Post by Atario »

Oh shit. I thought this was the "Notable non-KS disabled characters" thread!

brythain

Post by brythain »

Atario wrote:Oh shit. I thought this was the "Notable non-KS disabled characters" thread!
Now that I'm thinking of Kenji and his manly picnics, here's a link to a notable possibly non-KS, non-disabled, non-character... whatever.
Three cheers for future manly picnics! [LINK]
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
d2r

Post by d2r »

I've had the Yamazaki before and it's actually really good. :P
Comrade wrote:infinite options does not mean all options, just like that between every two numbers there are infinite numbers, but not all.

If I see that sentence anywhere I am going to send your head to your mother with a replacment order
If you like a moodier fanfic, why not try mine?
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Atario wrote:
metalangel wrote:No, it doesn't give him full vision. It beats blindness, but it's not vision as we know it.
Meh. Seems like a writer-imposed technological flaw. An instrument which could render vision in a greater spectrum than a natural one would surely be able to render the lesser, natural one (particularly considering natural vision only has three simple response profiles — S, M, and L (B, G, and R, respectively)). And I certainly can't buy that by that far-flung century, they haven't got enough resolution to match it, either. Hell, we're nearly there now.

The hard part of the whole thing is really the neural interface, and they seem to have that down pat.
The lore says he got the ocular implants at the behest of Starfleet after the whole Romulan brainwashing thing (he was chosen due to his high position and the fact the nodes the VISOR attaches to made their technique undetectable) who said it was that or the in space equivalent of a desk job. I suppose it was a good technical flaw for the writers, having him scrambling around when it got knocked off, or that one where they fitted it to a tricorder to let it detect a beacon while stranded on a planet.

The strange vision thing did seem odd to me as well.
brythain

Post by brythain »

d2r wrote:I've had the Yamazaki before and it's actually really good. :P
There is a quiet room in the otherwise bustling bullpen where I work. In that room, two men, sometimes three, carry out the work of the Company which none of the rest of us want to touch. It is the nature of their job—nay, their vocation—that it provokes an occasional sense of crisis while requiring that everyone remain calm and measured.

In that room is a row of closeted shelves, cupboards. It looks like a bank of featureless office-furniture styled cabinet doors, each a foot wide and a foot high, almost like lockers. When you open any of them, you will see that they really come in pairs. Behind each pair of doors is a space, a bit more than two feet wide and slightly more than a foot high. In one of those spaces, unmarked and yet out of the way of most work, strange bottles are kept. One of those is the Yamazaki of legend. Our current supply is near depletion. I must get more.

I turn from the cupboard door I have just shut. The man they call Kenji looks at me. I call him Michael. I look back at him. I know that in another of those cupboards, he stores his karate gi, and in another he stores a surplice for Mass. He reads the look on my face instantly, and clicks on his touchscreen. Soon, soon. Soon there will be a delivery, and we will be resupplied. Calmness will return. In the meantime, we have just enough to prevent breakdown.

In yet another cupboard, we keep the tools of our trade. Those will have to wait, for now.
Atario

Post by Atario »

metalangel wrote:The lore says he got the ocular implants at the behest of Starfleet after the whole Romulan brainwashing thing (he was chosen due to his high position and the fact the nodes the VISOR attaches to made their technique undetectable) who said it was that or the in space equivalent of a desk job.
Yeah, that should have been right at the forefront of the designers' minds, really. In fact, you'd think the man himself might have tried to jury-rig something similar just for use as a personal real-life TiVo.
good technical flaw for the writers, having him scrambling around when it got knocked off
World's most extreme case of Blind Without 'Em! :lol:

Thinking about this now, I'm kind of wondering why they never did an equivalent deafness-related gimmick. Able to hear like a scientific instrument, well into infrasonic and ultrasonic, conscious control of notch filters, etc.