Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

SpunkySix

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by SpunkySix »

d2r wrote:Quite frankly, I think he's right in general that people here take the game way too seriously. Sometimes I wonder if the arguments over which is "bestgirl" are actually...well, serious.
Rest assured that there is a high degree of tongues in cheeks when I'm delivering my "speeches" here. Which isn't to say that I don't mean what I said, but I am aware that it's also nothing to actually get upset over.

I guess in the end what I'm saying is that Emi has all the makings of a clichéd character, but good writing saves her from being boring and unmemorable, to me anyways.

Can we move past the jimmy rustling to something a little... not that? Like, okay, who do you think legitimately stays in contact after Yamaku?
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
brythain

Post by brythain »

SpunkySix wrote:Can we move past the jimmy rustling to something a little... not that? Like, okay, who do you think legitimately stays in contact after Yamaku?
I think you'd have clusters around major cities. If the Satous are really MNC-linked, certainly a Tokyo-Saitama possibility of keeping in touch via Akira. After that, depends on which universities they go to and which cities they're nearest.

In AtD I've got a Sendai cluster (the people who teach in school, those who go to Tohoku and other nearby higher-ed institutions)—this would include Yuuko for sure, and whoever returns to Yamaku as a teaching alumnus/alumna. I've also got a Tokyo cluster (and a Saitama sub-cluster), consisting of Rin and those who made it to the venerable University of Tokyo and other nearby IHEs. The last major cluster is Kyoto/Osaka.

I also wondered about whether in the KS-verse there'd be other schools set up by the Yamaku ('mountain-precinct') Foundation. If so, there'd be more clustering based on common interests and civil-society allegiances. People have said it seems odd for KS characters to stay in touch after graduation. The thing about unique high schools (parochial, special-ed or otherwise) is that there is a strong alumni bond. People stay in touch for decades, off and on. In this age of Facebook and suchlike, it's even more likely. And this will extend into subsequent generations—people whose parents knew each other may remain part of the same social circle.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Kinda depends on what route you take Spunky.

I'd think if Hisao took Lilly to good end, Lilly stays in touch with Hanako.
Haven't played through Rin route, but from what I've heard, she's have died without Hisao at one point, so she couldn't stick with Emi.
Shizune and Misha probably don't make it out of graduation unless you have Shizune good end.

So basically, only the group you take stays together, in general.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Oddball

Post by Oddball »

SpunkySix wrote: Like, okay, who do you think legitimately stays in contact after Yamaku?
I'd say Hanako and Lilly are friends for life.

Rin and Emi are pretty much done as soon as school is out.

Misha will try to keep in touch with Shizune, but Shizune, with her communication skills and tendency to put people into boxes, will eventually lose track of her. Oh she'll mean to write back, but she'll just keep putting it off, and ever reply will take longer than the last un til they stop coming entirely.
Not Dead Yet
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

SpunkySix wrote:Can we move past the jimmy rustling to something a little... not that?
Since I missed this whole thing, allow me to state for the record: True Rin Kin are unaffected by jimmy rustling.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Lilly and Hanako will remains friends, of course.
GE L : Lilly remains in Japan with Hisao, the three remains friends.
NE L : Lilly goes to Scotland, I think that Hisao and Hanako remains friends but I'm not 100% sure (maybe without Lilly, the friendship between them will not remains long after), both keept the contact with her.
GE H : Lilly goes to Scotland, with less remorse since Hanako had Hisao as boyfriend.
NE H : Lilly goes to Scotland, essentialy the same that NE L, maybe Hanako and Hisao remains friendzoned, or this unfulfilled relationship his unfulfilled relationship slowly stops after the graduation.
BE H : Hisao & Hanako don't even dare to talk again, maybe it would disrupt enough friendship between her and Lilly. (She does not dare talk to her about what happened with Hisao, and avoids her until she left.) Hisao does the same or is hated by Lilly if she learn about it, Lilly goes to scotland but probably with many much remorse.

I suposse than in the another Routes, Lilly goes to Scotland, a little less certain about the future of Hanako than is Route and Hanako's one, and both keept the contact.

The friendship between Rin et Emi is weak, their friendship would end in the high school (Rin become an artist, Emi goes to the university,ect...)
I don't think without Hisao, Misha would keep the contact with Shizune after the graduation; same thing in the neutral ending and in the good ending, they will really meet again.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

"Can you face your fears ?"
— Hanako

I speak from the noise
Souls and shapes, forever twisted
the lost voices of the damned
lure the bringer of despair
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

It kind of bums me out how weak Emi and Rin's friendship is in the end. I didn't realize that until I did Rin's route.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

SpunkySix wrote:It kind of bums me out how weak Emi and Rin's friendship is in the end. I didn't realize that until I did Rin's route.
They like to eat together and they help each other with their disability; no more, no less.
"With my eternal life, I will see the world through to its end. Until everyone who won't like me is gone."
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
forgetmenot

Post by forgetmenot »

Holy shit, this thread. Blew. Up.
dewelar wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:Can we move past the jimmy rustling to something a little... not that?
Since I missed this whole thing, allow me to state for the record: True Rin Kin are unaffected by jimmy rustling.
dewelar speaks the truth. We're concerned with more important things, like composition and lighting, or clouds.
Zykes

Post by Zykes »

Zarys wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:It kind of bums me out how weak Emi and Rin's friendship is in the end. I didn't realize that until I did Rin's route.
They like to eat together and they help each other with their disability; no more, no less.
Friendships based on circumstance.

Rin and Emi were put together outside of their own control (if I recall correctly). Comparing Lilly/Hanako and Shizune/Misha to Rin/Emi you can see how it is different. I could see Lilly and Hanako, or Shizune and Misha lasting (at least for some time) after Yamaku. (Though assuming any no Hisao interference happens, Lilly would of moved back to Scotland and eventually lost ties with Hanako who would of made friends with those in the newspaper group.)
"I look down as I step forward, passing by all those that stare, and hold fear in my heart. I stop and look up, I realize I am not afraid of what others think of me. I am afraid of of what I think of myself."

Staggering Harmony - OC Fanfic
Kibaro

Post by Kibaro »

off above topic, i was just wondering and i'm pretty sure this was already discuseed but maybe someone can tell me as well, wouldn't a heart transplant fix hisao's problems?
Zykes

Post by Zykes »

Kibaro wrote:off above topic, i was just wondering and i'm pretty sure this was already discuseed but maybe someone can tell me as well, wouldn't a heart transplant fix hisao's problems?
You'd think so, but I'm sure finding a donor would not be easy for a heart, compared to the huge list of people already waiting ahead of him.
"I look down as I step forward, passing by all those that stare, and hold fear in my heart. I stop and look up, I realize I am not afraid of what others think of me. I am afraid of of what I think of myself."

Staggering Harmony - OC Fanfic
Zarys

Post by Zarys »

Kibaro wrote:off above topic, i was just wondering and i'm pretty sure this was already discuseed but maybe someone can tell me as well, wouldn't a heart transplant fix hisao's problems?
Demand for those dying is so great, you will never get a transplant if your lifespan is "just" shorter.
— Porky Minch

— Hanako

I speak from the noise
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Zykes wrote:
Zarys wrote:
Friendships based on circumstance.

Rin and Emi were put together outside of their own control (if I recall correctly). Comparing Lilly/Hanako and Shizune/Misha to Rin/Emi you can see how it is different. I could see Lilly and Hanako, or Shizune and Misha lasting (at least for some time) after Yamaku. (Though assuming any no Hisao interference happens, Lilly would of moved back to Scotland and eventually lost ties with Hanako who would of made friends with those in the newspaper group.)
Well, Lilly and Hanako were put together in essentially the same way, in that they were assigned to the same hall by happenstance. Rin and Emi were the only one of the three pairs in which one of the members didn't make a concerted effort to insert herself into the other's life (Lilly into Hanako's, Misha into Shizune's). An argument could be made that this makes Rin and Emi's relationship more organic and more balanced than the other two, and thus might wind up being more stable.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

That's actually how I thought Lilly Neutral Ending would happen when I heard about it.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.