Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters

dewelar

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by dewelar »

FelOnyx wrote:
SpunkySix wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:Shizune seems to be into people who stand up for themselves and give her a challenge.

Who gives her more of a challenge than Lilly?
Her dad.
That's... a thought. Not a thought I wished to have, but it is indeed a thought.
Indeed. They do say that girls often fall for people who remind them of their fathers, so this naturally follows. In fact, in the scene where Hisao and Jigoro discuss Shizune, Hisao's own feelings seem to begin mirroring Jigoro's own. I hadn't thought about it, but it makes sense now that I have.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
brythain

Post by brythain »

dewelar wrote:Indeed. They do say that girls often fall for people who remind them of their fathers, so this naturally follows. In fact, in the scene where Hisao and Jigoro discuss Shizune, Hisao's own feelings seem to begin mirroring Jigoro's own. I hadn't thought about it, but it makes sense now that I have.
Heh, I thought it was Hisao's essential malleability responding to Jigoro's force of personality. Perhaps Shizune saw Hisao as a better version of her father, but still felt the need to attempt to dominate him.
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)
bhtooefr

Post by bhtooefr »

SpunkySix wrote:
bhtooefr wrote:Shizune seems to be into people who stand up for themselves and give her a challenge.

Her dad.
bhtooefr's one-shot and drabble thread
Enjoy The Silence - Sequel to All I Have (complete)
Enough is enough! I have had it with these motherfucking zombies on this motherfucking forum!
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

brythain wrote:
dewelar wrote:Indeed. They do say that girls often fall for people who remind them of their fathers, so this naturally follows. In fact, in the scene where Hisao and Jigoro discuss Shizune, Hisao's own feelings seem to begin mirroring Jigoro's own. I hadn't thought about it, but it makes sense now that I have.
Heh, I thought it was Hisao's essential malleability responding to Jigoro's force of personality. Perhaps Shizune saw Hisao as a better version of her father, but still felt the need to attempt to dominate him.
I'm impressed that we managed to take that one and bring it into a legit conversation as a group. Back pats all around. :)
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
Liminaut

Post by Liminaut »

bhtooefr wrote: Shizune seems to be into people who stand up for themselves and give her a challenge.
Actually, I think the opposite is more true. At least as far as the VN goes, Shizune wants followers.

In Shizune's path, Hisao basically does what Shizune tells him to. He whines a lot about it at first, but follows her directions in the end. Even when they are competing, Hisao and Shizune are competing on Shizune's terms. Likewise, Misha is completely devoted to Shizune through much of the VN, and is just mostly devoted to Shizune for the rest.

My interpretation of this is that her life has been a struggle, first against her father and then later at Yamaku. At Yamaku she had to struggle through the rest of the Student Council bailing on her; Lilly leaving was especially bitter.

What Shizune needed from Hisao was someone who could just accept her and support her, and also had XY chromosomes. Sorry Misha. I think that's why the stuffed cat Hisao won for her at the fair was such a big deal: it was something that was freely given and she didn't have to fight for.
dewelar

Post by dewelar »

Liminaut wrote:
bhtooefr wrote: Shizune seems to be into people who stand up for themselves and give her a challenge.
Actually, I think the opposite is more true. At least as far as the VN goes, Shizune wants followers.
Perhaps, but at the same time the best kind of followers are the ones who become followers after she defeats them, and who were also a challenge to defeat. That means she earned their respect.
Rin is orthogonal to everything.
Stuff I've written: Developments, a continuation of Lilly's (bad? neutral?) ending - COMPLETE!
Megumeru

Post by Megumeru »

I don't think that's just it; there's more to that. She loves challenges, but why? Because she strives for something greater in almost every step of the way--same to how she look for partners. Someone who can follow not as a follower (e.g. Misha), but as an equal.

Hisao fits the bill, first by growing out of that mopey state of his and eventually standing 'equally' on Shizune's side instead of just trailing along behind her like a duck. If he des, he wouldn't even involve himself with Misha's issue and let Shizune handle it on her own, soaking in whatever it is that comes on his way (the bad ending is one such Hisao)

Her life has been a struggle since no one--not even her family--even tries to understand her. At school it's all the same, with her disability acting as her barrier to communicate and Misha being her only friend isn't helping much (who's pretty much 'following'; notice she didn't try to improve her own grades until much later when she speaks to Mutou on her own). Hisao fits the bill entirely since he:
1. Complains, but nonetheless gets it done
2. Able to communicate and understand her
3. Has the potential to stand as her equal--proven as someone else who can go stand toe to toe with her dad

I think it's not like she wants followers, but more into how she wants others to pull the best out of themselves, stand as her equal, and challenges her to push even better for herself. I think she said it herself in ACTIV? I'm using smartphone so I can't be sure
They say they hate Shizune? What is this? BLASPHEMY!

SHII-HAEL!
Shizune>Rin>Emi>Hanako>Lilly
"A writer is a light that reveals the world of his story from darkness. Shapes it from nothingness. If the writer stops, the world dies with it." - Alan Wake
Yes, I write stories. Currently working on: The Haunting: A Love Story
Atario

Post by Atario »

So, this guy just did a 14+ hour marathon face-cammed livestream of Lilly's route on twitch.tv — whole route in one go. Ordinarily I discourage let's-plays right along with the rest of you, and would not bring any attention to this, but…

In this case, he also posted just the final two hours of it (from Akira's news in the park on through the good ending) specifically so people could watch him getting emotionally walloped. And here's the thing. The guy was not prepared for this game, and was completely torn to shreds. He doesn't attempt to inject "comedy", he doesn't do any "wacky" voices, he doesn't go out of his way to ruin his experience of it while hiding behind "I gotta provide entertainment value" bullshit. None of the garbage we see so often in these things. Just a straight read and genuine, intense, human reactions. It's possibly the only one of these I've seen that is quite this satisfying to watch.

This is only for people who have finished the game, obviously.

http://www.twitch.tv/drewbiie/c/4899915
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote
metalangel

Post by metalangel »

Shizune challenges, but is also herself a challenge due to her personality. Hisao's "meh" getting on with it includes not being ground down by it. I'd say that he feeds a bit off her determination and drive, and in doing so becomes more than a follower.
TK8305

Post by TK8305 »

Atario wrote:So, this guy just did a 14+ hour marathon face-cammed livestream of Lilly's route on twitch.tv — whole route in one go. Ordinarily I discourage let's-plays right along with the rest of you, and would not bring any attention to this, but…

In this case, he also posted just the final two hours of it (from Akira's news in the park on through the good ending) specifically so people could watch him getting emotionally walloped. And here's the thing. The guy was not prepared for this game, and was completely torn to shreds. He doesn't attempt to inject "comedy", he doesn't do any "wacky" voices, he doesn't go out of his way to ruin his experience of it while hiding behind "I gotta provide entertainment value" bullshit. None of the garbage we see so often in these things. Just a straight read and genuine, intense, human reactions. It's possibly the only one of these I've seen that is quite this satisfying to watch.

Well I hope you all will consider giving my LP of KS a try when I get to it. I only act funny when Kenji's scenes come up because he is the comic relief character. For the super serious emotional stuff I get real. I'm only gonna cover Hanako's route too.
My YouTube | My Twitter[/font][/size]<p>Currently LPing: Pokemon Diamond (NDS) / Link's Birthday DX (ZC)
CoffeeDrive

Post by CoffeeDrive »

TK8305 wrote: I'm only gonna cover Hanako's route too.
Ew.
== Cyclaptop [~Cyclamate@86.90.200.214] has quit [Client Quit]
<MishaBot> Aww... I miss Cyclaptop... :(
<Retrograde> Shut up Misha, you whore
<Retrograde> You say that about everyone

Yuudachi Kai Ni Is superior ShipGirl
Broomhead

Post by Broomhead »

Been thinking about drawing up two OCs that have been nebulating in my head. Of course, I'm worried that if I do I'll tumble down the pit and have to start writing fanfic for each of them, which means more drawing, which would of course mean I'd be inclined to write more, leading to even more drawing, until I run out of lead and pixels and die. Of course, this means that it'll go ahead as planned in due time once I hear back from a couple of other writing friends.
Lilly = Rin > Hanako > Emi > Misha > Shizune

I'm back in action.
Rhodri

Post by Rhodri »

Atario wrote:Words about guy doing LP of Lilly's route on twitch.

Dear God, his reactions are priceless. This is what an LP of KS should be!
"She also ties you up to a chair. You're gonna like that. Chairs are good. Chairs are your friend."

BeeFhGhost, Jan 15th 2012.
SpunkySix

Post by SpunkySix »

CoffeeDrive wrote:
TK8305 wrote: I'm only gonna cover Hanako's route too.
Ew.
Well, if that's the only one he can take seriously enough, it's probably for the best.
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"
azumeow

Post by azumeow »

Atario wrote:So, this guy just did a 14+ hour marathon face-cammed livestream of Lilly's route on twitch.tv — whole route in one go. Ordinarily I discourage let's-plays right along with the rest of you, and would not bring any attention to this, but…

Thank you for showing me that.
"I don’t want to be here anymore, I know there’s nothing left worth staying for.
Your paradise is something I’ve endured
See I don’t think I can fight this anymore, I’m listening with one foot out the door
And something has to die to be reborn-I don’t want to be here anymore"