Random KS Discussion

A forum for general discussion of the game: Open to all punters
User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Potato » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:49 pm

Munchenhausen wrote:I was relating it to how we in Leicester say the word 'car', which is more of a 'Kaah' pronunciation.
So people from Leicester are from Boston.

The More You Know. :mrgreen:
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
SiniisteR
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by SiniisteR » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:50 pm

Potato wrote:Because Lilly expressing herself at a point where she absolutely would express herself is out-of-character...In some other game that only you and nobody else played. :P
It wasn't the expressing herself that I thought was a *bit* OOC, just the way it was presented through her dialogue.
Atario wrote:Being calm and collected all the time takes effort. Bottling that up must result in some dam-busting when it stops.
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're saying Lilly does it as an act.
Last edited by SiniisteR on Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:Lilly diddling herself
Lilliddy dillidy doo, bee-boppin' that blind bugaboo.

User avatar
Potato
Posts: 1906
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 8:49 pm

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Potato » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:53 pm

SiniisteR wrote:
Potato wrote:Because Lilly expressing herself at a point where she absolutely would express herself is out-of-character...In some other game that only you and nobody else played. :P
It wasn't the expressing herself that I thought was a *bit* OOC, just the way it was presented through her dialogue.
A bout of irrational repetition induced by sadness and worry and fear? Seems reasonable to me. After all, Lilly is a human being susceptible to emotions and all the irrational nonsense they entail. Which part of that is out of character?
I love the interpretation of Pac-Man where he's a just a lowly worker retrieving golf balls left all over the course by the rich masters and the ghosts are all previous workers who got conked on the head and killed by incoming golf balls in the line of duty.

User avatar
SiniisteR
Posts: 36
Joined: Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:01 pm

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by SiniisteR » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:00 pm

Potato wrote:
A bout of irrational repetition induced by sadness and fear? Seems reasonable to me.
It probably is, but I know I often get picky with this kind of thing.

Its not that she was irrational, just a bit too irrational for my view of her character.
SpunkySix wrote:
Potato wrote:Lilly diddling herself
Lilliddy dillidy doo, bee-boppin' that blind bugaboo.

User avatar
Zykes
Posts: 153
Joined: Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:02 pm
Location: Buffalo, NY
Contact:

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Zykes » Tue Jul 29, 2014 10:52 pm

SiniisteR wrote: Its not that she was irrational, just a bit too irrational for my view of her character.
I dunno if it's just me, but I have always wondered what kind of responses Lilly would have if she was not dealing with what is shown as her norm.

Outside of Lilly's Path, she has Hanako as an outlet to her personality. Someone to an emotional outlet to. On Lilly's path, while she still has that with Hanako at some level, the majority of that focus goes onto Hisao. Unlike Hanako who does not openly speak about her nature, Hisao does mention to Lilly not to be so worried about him, even until the end, which is where she has her emotional outburst.

The theme of her character is playing the role of a helper, and without being able to help anyone. If her outburst is any indication, Maybe she copes whatever problems she has, possibly with her family "abandoning her" by trying to act the opposite of that.

It's all very curious.
"I look down as I step forward, passing by all those that stare, and hold fear in my heart. I stop and look up, I realize I am not afraid of what others think of me. I am afraid of of what I think of myself."

Image
Staggering Harmony - OC Fanfic

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Atario » Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:49 pm

SiniisteR wrote:
Atario wrote:Being calm and collected all the time takes effort. Bottling that up must result in some dam-busting when it stops.
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're saying Lilly does it as an act.
To a degree. She definitely puts on a mask of calm unreadability at various times in the story, mostly to avoid worrying others or appearing to oppose their wishes. Her whole highly-proper manner and persona was no doubt in large part polished to a high shine by the strict Catholic school she attended before Yamaku, if not created in her from whole cloth. Of course, the experiences one has, especially at that age, shape who a person is — so to say what's "really" her and what's an act is, at the time of the story, fairly muddy. Either way, though, it has to be a pretty nontrivial job to constantly restrain displays of one's emotions, and constantly take great care in choosing one's words, and so on.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

User avatar
Liminaut
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 pm
Location: Broca's Area

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Liminaut » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:44 am

And now for something completely different ...

Right now there are 8 (!) locked threads on the main page. I think that's a record. I'm guessing it's a combination of a bunch of new people coming in that didn't read the FAQs and low thread generation that's not pushing the locked threads off the main page.

User avatar
SpunkySix
Posts: 2858
Joined: Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 pm
Location: Lost in thought... somewhere.

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by SpunkySix » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:45 am

Liminaut wrote:And now for something completely different ...

Right now there are 8 (!) locked threads on the main page. I think that's a record. I'm guessing it's a combination of a bunch of new people coming in that didn't read the FAQs and low thread generation that's not pushing the locked threads off the main page.
I'm guessing you're right.

READ THE RULES, SCRUBS. :evil:
"Spunky at his Spunkyest/Spunkiest"
"Tissues to the extreme!"

User avatar
Liminaut
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 pm
Location: Broca's Area

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Liminaut » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:53 am

And about Lilly and Hanako ....

A bell finally went off in my head about a couple of scenes in Lilly's path. First, in Lilly's path when Hisao calls Lilly in Scotland about Hanako's birthday meltdown, Lilly says that she doesn't know the exact reason for Hanako having such a bad time around her birthdays, and says that perhaps it is something having to do with the fire. Second, when Lilly is getting ready to go to Scotland forevers, it is obvious that Lilly didn't tell Hanako until the last minute.

In other words, Lilly and Hanako have been incredibly close friends for years, in fact they have been each other's only friend for years ... and they have been keeping walls against each other. They have never told each other anything deep. In fact, they never really were friends, just acquaintances that pretended.

Ow. That's painful.

User avatar
Liminaut
Posts: 260
Joined: Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:52 pm
Location: Broca's Area

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Liminaut » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:14 am

Atario wrote:
SiniisteR wrote:
Atario wrote:Being calm and collected all the time takes effort. Bottling that up must result in some dam-busting when it stops.
I could be wrong, but it sounds like you're saying Lilly does it as an act.
To a degree. She definitely puts on a mask of calm unreadability at various times in the story, mostly to avoid worrying others or appearing to oppose their wishes. Her whole highly-proper manner and persona was no doubt in large part polished to a high shine by the strict Catholic school she attended before Yamaku, if not created in her from whole cloth. Of course, the experiences one has, especially at that age, shape who a person is — so to say what's "really" her and what's an act is, at the time of the story, fairly muddy. Either way, though, it has to be a pretty nontrivial job to constantly restrain displays of one's emotions, and constantly take great care in choosing one's words, and so on.
My read on Lilly is that she went through subtle but real trauma as a child. She was rather literally abandoned by her parents, This is a universal fear -- separation anxiety. During her early teen years she was raised by her sister Akira. At this time Akira was concentrating on school and career, and so could only minimally be there for Lilly. Often in a situation like this the child will become extremely angry and act out a lot; Lilly chose to repress all her anger and negative emotions.

Her wall is very real and very well-built. I suspect at the start of KS she doesn't realize it is there -- she has internalized her emotional repression completely. Caring about other people is the only way she can allow herself to care.

User avatar
TK8305
Posts: 33
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2014 2:50 pm

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by TK8305 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:17 am

Liminaut wrote:And about Lilly and Hanako ....

A bell finally went off in my head about a couple of scenes in Lilly's path. First, in Lilly's path when Hisao calls Lilly in Scotland about Hanako's birthday meltdown, Lilly says that she doesn't know the exact reason for Hanako having such a bad time around her birthdays, and says that perhaps it is something having to do with the fire. Second, when Lilly is getting ready to go to Scotland forevers, it is obvious that Lilly didn't tell Hanako until the last minute.

In other words, Lilly and Hanako have been incredibly close friends for years, in fact they have been each other's only friend for years ... and they have been keeping walls against each other. They have never told each other anything deep. In fact, they never really were friends, just acquaintances that pretended.

Ow. That's painful.
Still, can't deny that Lilly's path has the most exciting content in it. I really love that whole family dynamic between Hisao, Hanako and Lilly on that trip. I wish I had that with two fantastic ladies!

And then Hanako actually blossoming after the trip and doing the Newspaper Club with Naomi. It was great seeing her coming out of her shell and it really choked me up seeing her taking that step. I never wanted to root someone on so much!
My YouTube | My Twitter[/font][/size]<p>Currently LPing: Pokemon Diamond (NDS) / Link's Birthday DX (ZC)

User avatar
Atario
Posts: 1358
Joined: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:06 am
Location: San Francisco Bay Area

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Atario » Wed Jul 30, 2014 1:32 am

Liminaut wrote:First, in Lilly's path when Hisao calls Lilly in Scotland about Hanako's birthday meltdown, Lilly says that she doesn't know the exact reason for Hanako having such a bad time around her birthdays, and says that perhaps it is something having to do with the fire. Second, when Lilly is getting ready to go to Scotland forevers, it is obvious that Lilly didn't tell Hanako until the last minute.

In other words, Lilly and Hanako have been incredibly close friends for years, in fact they have been each other's only friend for years ... and they have been keeping walls against each other. They have never told each other anything deep. In fact, they never really were friends, just acquaintances that pretended.

Ow. That's painful.
I think you're off-base here. To begin with, they only knew each other for around one year when the story starts. Hanako clearly had her own demons to deal with that prevented her from talking about her birthday. Lilly didn't tell Hanako till the last minute for the same reason she didn't tell Hisao till the last minute: she didn't decide till the last minute.
My read on Lilly is that she went through subtle but real trauma as a child. She was rather literally abandoned by her parents, This is a universal fear -- separation anxiety. During her early teen years she was raised by her sister Akira. At this time Akira was concentrating on school and career, and so could only minimally be there for Lilly. Often in a situation like this the child will become extremely angry and act out a lot; Lilly chose to repress all her anger and negative emotions.

Her wall is very real and very well-built. I suspect at the start of KS she doesn't realize it is there -- she has internalized her emotional repression completely. Caring about other people is the only way she can allow herself to care.
A very good point. She decided she'd become the perfect daughter. Possibly there's a little "if I'm a really really good girl, maybe they'll come back" involved.
NB: none of the above is a request

Mutou Gets Fired — a little one-shot fanfic I wrote

User avatar
Oddball
Posts: 2903
Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by Oddball » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:51 am

Atario wrote:
Liminaut wrote:First, in Lilly's path when Hisao calls Lilly in Scotland about Hanako's birthday meltdown, Lilly says that she doesn't know the exact reason for Hanako having such a bad time around her birthdays, and says that perhaps it is something having to do with the fire. Second, when Lilly is getting ready to go to Scotland forevers, it is obvious that Lilly didn't tell Hanako until the last minute.

In other words, Lilly and Hanako have been incredibly close friends for years, in fact they have been each other's only friend for years ... and they have been keeping walls against each other. They have never told each other anything deep. In fact, they never really were friends, just acquaintances that pretended.

Ow. That's painful.
I think you're off-base here. To begin with, they only knew each other for around one year when the story starts. Hanako clearly had her own demons to deal with that prevented her from talking about her birthday. Lilly didn't tell Hanako till the last minute for the same reason she didn't tell Hisao till the last minute: she didn't decide till the last minute.
Also, Lilly may be Hanako's only friend, but the game tells us several times that Lilly is actually quite popular.
Not Dead Yet

User avatar
brythain
Posts: 3537
Joined: Sun Feb 23, 2014 8:58 pm
Location: East Asia
Contact:

Re: Random KS Discussion

Post by brythain » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:56 am

Wow, for those who keep thinking of Rin in too-limited ways, HERE, have a look at an armless musician, and what instrument he plays...
Post-Yamaku, what happens? After The Dream is a mosaic that follows everyone to the (sometimes) bitter end.
Main Index (Complete)Shizune/Lilly/Emi/Hanako/Rin/Misha + Miki + Natsume
Secondary Arcs: Rika/Mutou/AkiraHideaki | Others (WIP): Straw—A Dream of SuzuSakura—The Kenji Saga.
"Much has been lost, and there is much left to lose." — Tim Powers, The Drawing of the Dark (1979)

User avatar
Munchenhausen
Posts: 1874
Joined: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:43 am
Location: Leicester, UK

The extent of Shi-chan's mutism

Post by Munchenhausen » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:41 am

Shizune's mutism is largely down to her deafness, right?
She doesn't use her voice at all because she's deaf, but assumedly, her vocal chords are all intact (if not underused enough to mean just trying to speak could result in strain).

In one of her H-scenes, if i remember correctly, she kinda moans involuntarily and suppresses it quickly... But at the same time she has a silent laugh, which is something I would have thought would be an actively vocal act regardless of deafness.
She seems to have vocalisations she can't control, but also completely silent would-be vocalisations that would be unlikely to suppress, with her being congenitally deaf.

My question is if she was pushed down the stairs, would she make a noise?
Like stupid, silly doodles with no point? You've come to the right place, friend :^)
I also occasionally write oneshots. Why not have a skimread?
Miki fic? Miki fic!
---
"We are a small country full of the most stubborn bastards on the planet. You might want to rethink your actions." - Anon

Post Reply